Asus Rampage Extreme II x58 SLI Issues

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Ambush083, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Ambush083

Ambush083 Member

GPU:
    EVGA / GTX 280 / TRI SLI
    Ok, used Windows Restore Point and got my 3 Way Sli back. So now I'm going to run Acronis, a backup utility, and save this. What about in the future when a different OS comes out or I want 64bit. This is all I have on hand that works. This is absolute garbage.

I'm going to try to flash the bios on the GPUs. I want them to ALL read the same speed / settings. I have all the same model, but for some ODD reason each one has a different setting. I kept Precision running in the background that way each time a new card was installed it would be force to convert to the defaults I put in which were baseline GTX 280 speeds. Is there an easy way to flash the bios from windows?

2. Ambush083

Ambush083 Member

GPU:
    EVGA / GTX 280 / TRI SLI
    I ran Acronis to make an image backup. Now I can restore using that and 3 Way Sli will be working. Sweet. Ok, I didn't flash any of the GPU's Bios. Quite frankly it seemed too hard / complicated. If I upgraded to Windows 7, which I will do when it's released, then I will keep my current OS and use a different hard drive to troubleshoot that when I try to set it up. I'm almost positive it has something to do with the speeds, etc. It shouldn't I know, but ALL cards are standard GTX 280's from EVGA. They all read the same BIOS version. All have different speeds for all things speed releated. Core Clock / Mem Clock or whatever. It's all different.

3. satan_sli

satan_sli New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 285 SLI
    Check the Serial Numbers, I bet they are different chipsets. Nvidia changes chipsets every 2-3 months.

4. Ambush083

Ambush083 Member

GPU:
    EVGA / GTX 280 / TRI SLI
    :wanker:
    Ok, I'm going to put them up on Craigs List and get 2 x GTX 285s. The 2GB Cards. :nerd:

5. satan_sli

satan_sli New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 285 SLI
    :wanker: ? What is that supposed to be? Looks like it's gargling something... :puke2:

Those will last 5 months and on to DX11 cards.
    /but who cares these days.=P

6. satan_sli

satan_sli New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 285 SLI
    FYI, 1406 bios is out. Pretty stable and no issues with my previous clocks.

Watch out as it uses the Intel Step option now. You can disable from CPU Options.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  7. satan_sli

satan_sli New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 285 SLI
    When 280x3 works, what is the Vantage score?

8. Ambush083

Ambush083 Member

GPU:
    EVGA / GTX 280 / TRI SLI
    Here is a pic. I haven't test it recently.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. satan_sli

satan_sli New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 285 SLI
    What cooler is that?

10. Ambush083

Ambush083 Member

GPU:
    EVGA / GTX 280 / TRI SLI
    The cooler is the Vigor Monsoon III. It cools decently. I'm using the AS-5 as opposed to MX-2. Oh well. Satan is going to the lake of fire in the end. Is that where you want to go also, friend? Sorry, couldn't resist.

11. Ambush083

Ambush083 Member

GPU:
    EVGA / GTX 280 / TRI SLI
    Recently, I received another 150gb Velociraptor and now have double the storage capacity. I couldn't install all my games / software with what I had. I made an image with Acronis and when I created the Raid Volume and tried to do the restore it wouldn't work. I would boot and get an immediate blue screen.

All of the sudden now my TRI SLI works with no issues when I redo my OS. I did redo it with Vista 64bit again instead of the 32bit. It's faster with the Raid and later I'll get 3 x 1TB Hard Drive and run RAID 5 for my backups. I will use Windows Vista's backup utility later. I hear its not so bad. I don't think Acronis was designed for Vista anyway. At least the one I'm using. I think its Acronis 11 Home Edition.

12. satan_sli

satan_sli New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 285 SLI
  13. Ambush083

Ambush083 Member

GPU:
    EVGA / GTX 280 / TRI SLI
    Question on the Corsair Dominators with the Core i7 920. Since the multiplier is locked, you have to overclock by changing the BLCK Frequency. I have it @ 185 and it gets my processor to 2.70ghz. My RAM is only 14xx something instead of the 1600mhz its rated at. I can skip from 14xx to 18xx, but it won't boot.

Any idea on what I have to do after setting the volts to the recommended 1.65v and changing the timings to what it says for mine (8-8-8-24). Thanks.

14. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    run corsair dominators in x.m.p mode. should set it 2 stock speed and timings.
    1.65v or 1.66v. set that manually. (my board wont let me choose 1.65v...ignore warning and set to 1.66v if thats the case).

use this guide (it might be different for the rampage...i know it works for my p6t deluxe)

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx..._id=1&model=P6T+Deluxe&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

keep loadline on (well i do). i use 20x multi..no turbo mode. my 1600 ram is at 1520mhz (x.m.p 1.66v). the guide will tell u what 2 set other voltages 2.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  15. Ambush083

Ambush083 Member

GPU:
    EVGA / GTX 280 / TRI SLI
    My multiplier is locked because I have the Core i7 920 so I cannot use that. When I change the BLCK Frequency it changes my RAM's speed. Like if I set my processor to 3.20ghz it will set my RAM speed to 1600mhz like it supposed to be. If I set it at 3.70ghz (185 BLCK Freq) it makes it 14xx. Then, I can overclock THAT, but it's such a big jump with nothing in the 1600mhz range. It goes right to 18xxmhz and won't boot. Must be too much. I'll try 1.66v's tonight when I get home.

16. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    ? multiplier locked? what i gave u works on corei7 920..if u notice i own one as well. dont know why u cant use either so am bit confused by this...i have the same processor and i change my multi to x20..no problem then set the blck etc and other speeds n voltages manually.

i dont know your exact dominators model but mine run in x.m.p mode profile 1 and 1.66v no problems. i then lowered the speed to 1520 as this seemed like the best speed for the ram (cant rem exactly but has worked).

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  17. satan_sli

satan_sli New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 285 SLI
    When setting to the 1800 speed try setting QPI V to 1.6 .

I run my 2000 sticks @ 2130 at 7-8-7-20, DRAM V 1.66 and QPI V @ 1.6 . Mutli is 30x. VCORE is 1.4.

I Load at 82C during Prime95

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009