Oblivion "stealing from shops" question

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by bippukt, Jul 31, 2009.

1. bippukt

bippukt Active Member

GPU:
    XFX GTS 250 512 MB
    So, my new Redguard fighter is already level 8 and he is in no mood to level up too fast, which means that he can't go dungeon hunting for treasures.

Security being one of his major skills, he has already looted most of the shops in imperial city and a few homes. The problem is that the items in the shop do not seem respawn, so he does not have anything more to steal unless he goes to a new city.

Will the items stolen from shops never respawn? Or is there some time limit after which they will?

If the items do not respawn, then what should the Redguard do to make money without fighting too much?

I can't believe that I still don't know so much about this game!

2. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    default respawn time is 3 days in game time if I remember correctly.

3. PuddingWagon

PuddingWagon Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    3 days in game where you don't visit that cell (room/area), I think.

You get the most xp opening locks as you explore dungeons though. Use whatever skills aren't major to explore the dungeons. If you've got heavy armour as a major skill, then use only light armour etc.

If you want cash, then your best bet is to go exploring and loot everything in sight. I think in vanilla Oblivion the best items to loot was light armour, so find a few caves with light armour wearing bandits and alternate between them. Go by ratio of price to weight.

4. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    Best houses to loot are those of the sorcerer guild (sorry if thats the wrong name, i only play the game in german). Go there at night and wait for a moment were the sole guard doesnt look at you, then grab all magic items from the shelves and get out. Same for the warriors guild, loot all weapons. Also i love to steal all that silver stuff on the tables in the castles at night.

5. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    Fighter Guild and the Mage guild I think. Mage guild got lots of gems and fighter guild lots of silver weapon.

6. Dahzeal33

Dahzeal33 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x eVGA GTX 275 SLI
    Ugh, vanilla Oblivion... First thing I'd do is scrap that character and get one of the excellent overhaul mods that "fixes" the leveling.

7. bippukt

bippukt Active Member

GPU:
    XFX GTS 250 512 MB
    In case it helps, my character is a Redguard with Birthsign Warrior (Magic as focus) and has the major skills - Blade, Block, Armourer, Heavy Armour, Alchemy, Mysticism and Security. Strange skill-set to some, but I like that combo as it gives me good control over my levelling, without it becoming a chore to increase my major skills. Security helps me get more loot without too much irritation (until I get the unbreakable lockpick, anyway) and Mysticism - I just fancy it ;)

Yeah, glass armour and the like is quite good, but unfortunately I need to level up for that to appear. I am really poor at shooting arrows and casting spells, so that won't be easy for me. On the other hand, it will give me a chance to improve those skills :)

I will try out the guilds - I had only joined the thieves guild until now because I like stealing a lot. In fact, if I remember correctly, I have NEVER completed the Fighters Guild or The Dark Brotherhood or even the Main Quest line! And I must have played the game for over 100-150 hours. You get the picture of the kind of player that I was - I don't have that much patience or the time anymore though.

Suggestions, please :). There are so many mods out there!

8. DgtlOutcst

DgtlOutcst Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 (55nm)

I like the following mods:

Graphics enhancements
    Atmospheric weather system
    Qarl's Texture pack 1.3
    Natural environments

Gameplay Mods
    Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul (OOO) 1.33
    Reneer's Guard overhaul
    Improved archery
    Keychain mod
    Quickstart mod
    Fast Travel disabled. (This just makes sure I really don't use it :p)

Quest Mods
    The Lost Spires

I have a lot of other mods, but these are the major ones. Good quest mods are really hard to find. Most quest mods are just horrible, or leave you with an insane reward like tons of money which will last you for the rest of the game.

The lost spires is a really nice one. It basically adds an archeology guild that you can jin and do quests for, beware though, not for low level characters.

9. quaker3

quaker3 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6850HD
    too bad its not morrowind, assasins wont suply you with their expensive armor ;)

10. Dahzeal33

Dahzeal33 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x eVGA GTX 275 SLI
    I thought OOO was a bit to hardcore since I don't usually go for the most powerful builds. I usually make offbeat characters like my Khajit ninja monk, that's all hand to hand and no armor. I used an unarmored mod for a bit of defense though.

So, I used Franceso's mod and then a another mod (forgot the name) to fix the leveling. It was really cool because you could talor how you level in any way you see fit, and you could slow it down as well...making the game last way longer. The best part about these leveling type mods is that you're free to do what you want, go with any build, and not have to worry about maximizing you leveling.

I used quite a few other mods as well, but I generally don't like the gamebreaking ones. Just the enhancements, and ones that fix the incredibly stupid design decisions they made.

11. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    I noticed that if I leveled up too high the magic rings etc in dungeons would stop spawning (round level 40 I think). Anyone know if this is correct & if there's a mod to fix it?

edit: nvm going to try the Fcom convergence mod (OOO + MMM + some change)

Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  12. ])rStrangelove

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    RHOO's mod has everything in 1 package. Takes an hour to DL and install everything in the right order, but it works.

However, as soon as it runs, never touch it again. Once you update 1 plugin mod, you'll end up updating all your mods, week to week, month to month without much time left playing the game lol. Happened to me. :p

13. bippukt

bippukt Active Member

GPU:
    XFX GTS 250 512 MB
    Mmm...so many suggestions :)

As for Morrowwind, I am sure that it is a good game, but I just don't think that I will be able to go back to a game a generation behind. Not when there is so much left in Oblivion to explore :D

On second thoughts, I have decided to play the game the first time in Vanilla mode, minus the annoyances removed. I have already installed a few texture mods to sharpen the textures and enhance the distant textures. I am also installing a few mods to improve the weather and environments. But the mods which make differences to levelling will have to wait a bit more. I am noting down all the mods though :)

As for mod/updating addiction, I am all to familiar with it, but I love doing it :D

If anyone has any more suggestions, you are very welcome :)

14. bippukt

bippukt Active Member

GPU:
    XFX GTS 250 512 MB
    On more second thoughts, I would like to get a mod to "fix" the levelling system. Please make suggestions. Also, I would like minimum changes in the other areas of gameplay, if possible.

15. ])rStrangelove

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2009

16. bippukt

bippukt Active Member

GPU:
    XFX GTS 250 512 MB
    Well, I am downloading OOO mod - it's huge! I hope that the mod is worth the time it took to download it! :)

17. bippukt

bippukt Active Member

GPU:
    XFX GTS 250 512 MB
    OOO v1.3 download complete - it's time to install it.

So is this mod more difficult or easy as compared to the vanilla? I think it will be more difficult as mods generally are.

18. bippukt

bippukt Active Member

GPU:
    XFX GTS 250 512 MB
    Hmm...AF and KCAS levelling mods downloaded. I think I will go with KCAS as it has more endorsements.

Now, it is time to actually play the game. Seriously!

19. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    I just got done running through vilvern for the first time on FCOM . Can't even compare the difficulty to vanilla oblivion.

Quasi spoilers below highlight to read.

I went in at level one as a mage with very little in weaponry. Never would have made it through but I killed a skeletal mage who dropped a staff that I managed to use to kill a Staage or something who in turn dropped an awesome sword on par with near endgame weapons in vanilla ob. I had to run past the boss fight though, couldn't take that on :(, even with the sword I still died a ton due to a lack of healing.

20. Dahzeal33

Dahzeal33 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x eVGA GTX 275 SLI
    Yeah, I tried OOO extensively and it was a lot harder than what I wanted.

That's why the last time I reinstalled, I went with Francesco's Oblivion Overhaul.