Poor performance with HD4870X2

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Sinbadtheporter, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Ironjer

Ironjer Active Member

GPU:
    2x AMD 295X2 CrossfireX
    My PowerColor 4870 X2 running fine with catalyst 9.7 and Windows 7 7100 64-Bit, Take a look here:

[​IMG]

2. miffywiffy

miffywiffy Master Guru

GPU:
    750ti
    I have a 3870 powercolor and I get 25FPS Crysis Maxed out with 2x AA at 1440 by 900 lol.

3. Nemesis_2k7

Nemesis_2k7 Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte 9600GT 512MB
    drivers. always update ALL your drivers.. i hate when noobs complain about "its not working" or you ****ed it up when u plugged it in... simple.. *sigh* and 850watts doesnt mean ****. if you dont have enough amps.. its not gonna pump out the power needed for the card to work.

4. northy84

northy84 Master Guru

GPU:
    sapphire 6970 stock atm

5. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
  6. Sinbadtheporter

Sinbadtheporter Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870X2 2GB DDR5
    I installed Windows 7, and all the drivers, and now i'm getting even lower frame rates. I think I'll send the videocard back for a new one.

7. northy84

northy84 Master Guru

GPU:
    sapphire 6970 stock atm
    catalyst AI is a good idea but its on standard by default .. OP has formatted and installed so many times its gotta be the card... i have seen one do this before .. but it was a 3870X2 from e-bay so i assumed it was damaged in S&H .. maybe there just are bad printouts or sumthing.

GL sinbadtheporter! post back when you get a replacement with sum 16K+ scores please!!

8. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Just because the OP is getting low FPS doesn't mean that the video card is the culprit. Anything that the video card comes in direct physical contact with may be the cause for low or lossy performance as well. Computers are never as black and white as your above statement is, no matter how much we wish them to be.

9. northy84

northy84 Master Guru

GPU:
    sapphire 6970 stock atm
    ok run 3dmark. note score.

take out one of your video cards and re-run 3dmark. note score.

reinstall so you have pair again, then dissable catalyst AI and re-run 3dmark. note score.

you will see that with both video cards you will get around oh i'll take a wild guess at 14,000

with one you will get around 9000 and with both cards catalyst AI dissabled you will aslo get around 9000 ....

so my good sir the deduction is either catalyst AI is dissabled OR the video card is bad .. in the OP's case he does not have the luxury of "popping out" one of his GPU's he has an "X2" model. so after him reinstalling 2 different OS's both of which work fine with CCC ver 9.6 and 9.7 i came to the conclution that his video card is short one core. now if i were there or if him/her were here i would toss in one of my 4870's 4890's or 4850's to really get a good idea of weather or not it was actually the video card or software or other. heck i might even get another 4870X2 just to be 100% sure.

BUT i am here and they are there and thats the best advice i can give without physically having the computer here.

AND why spend hours of time or worse pay someone for hours of time when you can send out the video card for RMA while its still under warranty?

as for anyhting the card comes physically in contact with. it has already been brought up to check the PSU for suffecient AMPs on the 12V rail(s). one can only assume that the OP actually looked. and mobo? seriously? its an i7 CPU with an x58 chipset... rtfm and put it the proper slot easy peasy lemon squeezy.

10. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    You're ruling out the fact that his PSU and/or Mobo may be faulty as well, which is what I was trying to get across with my earlier post. I'm not saying that he shouldn't try RMAing the card. What I'm saying is that while RMAing the card a good start, it might not be the solution to the issue.

11. northy84

northy84 Master Guru

GPU:
    sapphire 6970 stock atm
    they might be. but his cpu score is roughly where it should be .. you want to make more sure here.

http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=103 run this for a few hours. if at factory settings you get a roboot or a BSOD or anything then you have somthing else wrong with your computer.

also heres a simple "memtest" works tho. http://www.memtest.org/ . download the .iso and run your favorite cd burning software, open the .iso burn it. boot the the cd let it run (its endless loop so you kinda have to watch it go to 100%)

there if you pass both those then you will know that it is not the CPU, north bridge, memory controller, or memory. which leaves .... PSU (check amps and make sure nothing smells like burning) or GPU (RMA that bitch already lol)

lavans your turn im going to bed.

12. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    *Cough* I never said anything about RAM or CPU. Please stop bringing unnecessary information to the table since all that's going to do is confuse people. When I say that his motherboard may be faulty, I'm directly implying that his PCI-E lane or controller may be wonked.

The first step, and probably easiest step, would be replacing the video card. If that doesn't work, then he could very well go to a retail outlet and buy a motherboard/PSU, test it, then return the parts he just bought when he reaches a conclusion.

13. Sinbadtheporter

Sinbadtheporter Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870X2 2GB DDR5
    I still haven't send the card back. I'm just about to pop a HD3870 in to run some benchmarks and to compare, That would probably rule out the faulty mobo if everything runs fine..

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  14. Sinbadtheporter

Sinbadtheporter Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870X2 2GB DDR5
    This is the score I get with my HD3870

3DMARK SCORE:
    P5090

GPU SCORE

CPU SCORE

3DMARK SCORE:
    H2751

GPU SCORE:

CPU SCORE

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  15. northy84

northy84 Master Guru

GPU:
    sapphire 6970 stock atm
    lol .

i guess u r so smrt u will solve all the worlds problems. have fun.

16. bokah

bokah Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G

this is from page 1, if u missed it

i can try to write it in easy english too, if u didnt understand but, if u want help id suggest u do this and post result

17. Sinbadtheporter

Sinbadtheporter Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870X2 2GB DDR5
    They are both working almost equally, the GPU Load is roughly the same, but the temperature is somewhat lower on the other but other then that they are both the same.

I also re-ran 3DMARK Vantage and this time I got a 14606 GPU Score.

18. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970

That sounds much more like it, you tryed any games yet?

19. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Awesome, seems the card is finally hitting numbers within the ballpark. It seems the card may have not been seated right. If you could download a few free programs for benchmarking purposes, I wouldn't mind cross referencing my scores with yours.

I would recommend these
    http://www.ausgamers.com/files/details/html/40499 - Far Cry 2 benchmark
    http://fileshack.com/file.x/12049/TrackMania+Nations+Forever+-+Free+Game - TrackMania Nations Forever
    http://fileshack.com/file.x/14772/Resident+Evil+5+Benchmark+Version - Resident Evil 5 Benchmark
    They're all free, so benchmark to your heart's content =)

20. Sinbadtheporter

Sinbadtheporter Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870X2 2GB DDR5
    I'll install some games right away, But the low score on Resident Evil 5 Benchmark is still bugging me, could it be the ram causing the low frame rates in certain games ?

I'll post the FarCry2 Benchmark results when it's done downloading