Accelero twinturbo and Crossfire?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Falcy, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Falcy

Falcy Member

GPU:
    1060 @2.1/4.8
    Accelero twinturbo and Crossfire? * Does NOT work! Not out of the box anyway *

I just bought the Accelero twinturbo for my two cards, Asus 4890.
    http://www.arctic-cooling.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2_&mID=101

(All temps in this thread are in Celsius, °C)
    After installation i was very dissapointed with the temps.

I noticed temps exceeding 100° on both Memio and VDDC slaves. At one point i aborted the benchmark since one VDDC showed 135° in GPU-Z...card survived.

So i did the only thing i could do, removed both cards.
    Double checked the cards to see if i missed something.
    Installed one card and booted up.

Now the temps are outstanding. The highest value i get in idle is @ something called " ??? Slave #2 " which shows me 63° now.
    Under full load after several loops in 3DM Vantage the highest value is the same VDDC Slave and it shows 83°.
    I am happy with that. The cooling solution works and is very quiet.

The problem is offcourse(or atleast i think that is the issue?) the card on top will suck hot air from the card below. I have good airflow in my NZXT Tempest (air flow king case) Also there is a 120mm side intake, that blows right over the Accelero and graphic cards. This doesn't seem to be enough tho.

So my question to you guys here is:
    * How can i get it to work with my X-fire setup?

* Can i put the card even further down to my 3rd PCI-E slot?
    (If i can get a longer Crossfire bridge that is)
    Probably it will go @x16 / x8 or if i am unlucky x16 / x1.
    How much will that decrease performance?

As it is now, the card on top is very close to the card below, it is no gap what soever, the "fancage" on the Accelero is almost touching the card below.

I understand that the Accelero isn't Crossfire approved or anything. But there must be something that can be done to improve this.

My system:
    i7 920 @4GHz with a Noctua NH-U12P
    Asus P6T DeluxeV2
    OCZ Gold 1600MHz 3x2Gb
    Corsair HX750
    2x Asus 4890
    Some harddrives
    Case: NZXT Tempest.

The temps on the CPU is around 38° idle and goes up to around 55-60° while doing 3DM Vantage.

Sorry for bad english and/or spelling issues :)
    I would be very grateful for any feedback on this!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  2. EAK

EAK Master Guru

GPU:
    ZT-P10800H-10P
    The only thing you can do is find a way to push more fresh air into your case. They is nothing more to adjust. You have installed them correctly, you just need better airflow into the case.

3. Falcy

Falcy Member

GPU:
    1060 @2.1/4.8
    Thanks for the reply.
    However, if i move the card further down, there will be a good gap between the cards. That way my 120mm intake can do a better job.
    I found a longer Crossfire bridge in my local store, so that is not a problem :)

Question is:
    How does this effect performance?
    The manual says if i use PCIE slot#1 and PCIE slot#3 they will go x16 / x1...in my eyes it doesn't look very good.
    But one thing is theory and another in real life situations. Anyone know how much performance i will lose?

Thanks!

4. Falcy

Falcy Member

GPU:
    1060 @2.1/4.8
    It doesn't have anything with airflow. I can put the fan down to a stop on both cards. And while idling its no problem.
    Offcourse i have to increase the fan while playing.

I now have both my cards in.
    After a 3DM Vantage i get 102.5° @Memio and 109° @VDDC Slave #2. Those are the only thing that exceed 100°. Other VDDC are around 98°
    GPU max is 72°

Is this alright or am i very close to the maximum? What are the rated max temp on these chips?

5. EAK

EAK Master Guru

GPU:
    ZT-P10800H-10P
    VRM cut off the power at 110c

6. Falcy

Falcy Member

GPU:
    1060 @2.1/4.8
    Really? How come i can play Call of Juarez and GPU-Z logged all of my VRMs to well over 110c?
    I want the fact, not what anyone "thinks" and obviously 110c is not the fact...
    I "heard" 125c.

Thanks for your reply tho!

7. Falcy

Falcy Member

GPU:
    1060 @2.1/4.8
    I have tried everything now, without results.
    I want to give you all a warning. The Arctic Cooling Accelero twinturbo is nothing for the 4870/4890s if you want to go crossfire.

If you want to cool only a single GPU, the Accelero twinturbo is very good and very quiet.
    Nothing for a crossfire setup!

8. fasteddy

fasteddy Guest

GPU:
    2 x Asus HD6950oc
    These Artic Cooling solutions are proving to be anything but... after the recent killers of the 4870x2 card nightmare!

I can't understand why cooling performance should be so off when running two cards in x-fire tho?

What's it like without the side panel on your case?

9. Falcy

Falcy Member

GPU:
    1060 @2.1/4.8
    Trust me on this one, even tho i am new here, this cooling solution is not working with crossfire setup.

I have tried everything. Re-mounted several times, tried with and without the ATi reference base.
    I have a 120mm fan in my sidedoor also several other 120mm and 140mm in the case.

It simply doesn' work in crossfire, there is all to much heat in and around the cards when using the Accelero. This hot air has to get out of the case and that is what the reference cooler does. The airflow in the case doesn't seem to matter, i have the NZXT tempest case and it has pretty good airflow.

For one GPU it is a great cooler and very quiet.

FYI i am now back to stockcoolers on both cards and temperatures are good.
    Thank god everything is working, you dont want to know what i've been thru with these cards...

10. zx81

zx81 Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX560Ti TwinFrozer2
    I had the same problem with 4870s and my asus P5Q deluxe

The problem is the physical distance between both slots.

Best bet is to keep the top card on stock cooler and live with the noise there.

1 accelero is fine, 2 is a problem, I lived with mine but it wasn't ideal, didn't game that much to make it an issue, the cards had to left at stock clocks and the top card was always higher temp than the lower. I had a lot of airflow form case intake and exhaust fans and even had to cut my case to get the lower card in with the accelero

in xfire the p5q board uses the gpus from top down

great quiet coolers for a single card, not sure I would modify again though, i'd buy a card already with a better than stock solution, because of the vram heat issue