The Windows 7 Thread Pt.2

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by aircool, Apr 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    HIS HD4870/Samsung2343BWX
    Wallpaper

A bit off the current topic, but, I really love the Windows 7 wallpaper. Anyone else think it's much better than what Vista has to offer? :banana:

2. blitze

blitze Member Guru

GPU:
    Power Color 4870 1GB PCS+
    If you're wanting to maintain your Vista setup then you can do a Windows 7 upgrade from Vista. Just have to upgrade the OS the same bit version as Vista i.e. x86 - x86 and x64 - x64.

It will keep all your software and documents intact and you will most likely only have to install a driver or 2 afterwards. Worked fine for me with Vista Business x64 to Windows 7 x64. All upgrades along the Windows 7 testing releases have been great as well.

I think MS has worked out how to upgrade their OS's over each other at long last.

3. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    I like them, so I copied them all from my Windows 7 Partition, over to Windows Vista, they look quite nice.

4. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    Have you sent another ticket in yet? I just did with this:

Curious to hear their excuse this time..

5. lambchop

lambchop Member Guru

GPU:
    None
    Hello,can someone help me with windows 7 problem? i have build 7264 just now and i want to upgrade to the new version.But im having problems with the 7264 build.I have an external usb HD that i keep all my files on videos,games,software etc and install on to my local driver when i need to.And i have quite a few big files on my local drive i downloaded and would like to transfer to my USB one before i format and install windows 7 RTM.But about a minute into copying i get a usb error and the USB drive disconnects so breaks the file transfer also.I need to restart before my USB HD is recognized again! i dont know if this is a new problem or inherit in the build as i have not transfered files between the two before.I do know in my last few builds i did not have this problem but they were 32bit...both drives are ntfs.I have about 70gigs of stuff and it too me a long time to get! :bang: Any help?

Cheers

6. lambchop

lambchop Member Guru

GPU:
    None
    All is good now, i finally managed in safe mode to move the files.Now to dban this buggy piece of crap and try fresh RTM install.

7. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    HIS HD4870/Samsung2343BWX
    :supercool:

8. jonathen85

jonathen85 Active Member

GPU:
    Inno3d nvidia GTX 275
    well i'm on the early build, 7100, and i get kicked by pb in all the games i've tried. not tried cod4 or bf2.

9. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    you do need to make sure you update PB with their tool.

10. Zen0

Zen0 Master Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    Thanks! That worked :)

BTW, you can just right click on 'Computer' and select 'Manage' instead of going through Control Panel.

11. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Anyone tried the new leaked RTM build? I know I know.. it's quite not legal but I need to know how it is. I'm still on the edge for trying Win7.

12. blurp33

blurp33 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Tried the Win 7 RTM 64bits. I got multiple problems with permissions to access files even though I obviously have an admin account. These problems were even worse with the other computers (Vista) in the workgroup with permissions problems to access the Win7 Shared drives.

The real showstopper was when I tried to activate 'Homegroup'. For an unknowned reason, my only account (admin) was 'converted' to a guest account. What a pain. This seems to be a known issue as I saw some work around. I had to create a new admin account in safe mode.

Well, i'm back to my Faithfull Vista 32built until I receive my upgrade in october.

13. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i dont even have much installed and w7 is using 20gb's. i have every component removed that it allows. i miss my Nlited copy of XP which was like 4gb's after installation and did everything i needed. windows just keeps getting larger footprints and no way to customize it down if needed.
    wish w7 was more customizable like Linux is.

14. opozoid25

opozoid25 Member Guru

GPU:
    2x BFG GTX 285 OC SLI
    I must say that I really like Windows 7. I tried the RC for a very short time, but after this fresh RTM x64 installation, just about everything went smoothly, and most things work perfectly. The only things not to work were ESET Smart Security v3.x and Acronis True Image Workstation v9.5, as they were blocked from running by Windows 7, but luckily I had alternatives. ESET v4.x seems to work great, and I found a new disk imaging program I like better than Acronis - Active Disk Image - which has Windows 7 support already, plus a fantastic boot recovery disk. I installed about 15 games and they all work as expected. Sometimes when installing a program or game update, I would get the 'Did this install correctly or not' box pop up, but in every case, it DID install correctly.

15. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Like the RC so far, it's good to finally format my hard drive as well, no longer cluttered.

Can't enable cool n quiet though, apparently it just doesnt work on an opteron 180.

16. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    A couple of things have annoyed me with the betas and RC builds, dont know if its solved with the RTM. But can anyone highlight/select multiple files/folders with the control key pressed... and without having the files/folders flicker from a selected to an unselected state?

17. xankazo

xankazo Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 SC (6GB)
    that's odd... it has never happened to me in almost all builds that have been leaked.

18. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    To me neither - I used a beta and the RC of Windows 7.

19. viren

viren Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070
    Im using build 7100 and im simply loving it. I hope to purchase the professional edition once it is out.

20. demon148

demon148 Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 512mb 8800GT
    I am running RTM build and not a problem yet everything works great, although I still have that problem with IE8 where it crashes sometimes randomly or when I close a browser tab.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.