OC Settings for Asus Rampage II Gene & i7 920

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Moogy, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Moogy

Moogy Master Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 9800GTX
    I was hoping some of you would be willing to share your solid OC settings for your Asus Rampage II Gene & i7 920?

Given I'm running 18-23C at idle with default and have a pretty beefy heat sink, I figured I'd shoot for 3.4GHz+. I also have G.SKILL DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) as well - for some reason the motherboard is defaulting it to 1066 - not sure why.

2. nehir

nehir Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga Geforce GTX 295
    don't overlock unless you fix NB & SB temps on Rampage II Gene mobo..

3. Moogy

Moogy Master Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 9800GTX
    What do you mean "fix"?

Right now I'm running @ 3.6GHz with all auto settings and it's perfectly fine and not even a high temp - pretty impressed the motherboard extrapolated all the other settings and voltages!

4. nehir

nehir Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga Geforce GTX 295
    Did you checked NB & SB temps under load?

5. Moogy

Moogy Master Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 9800GTX
    I can't seem to get those numbers from SpeedFan 4.38 - unless it's one of the values that is undefined/incorrectly defined.

Is there another temp monitor program you'd recommend?

6. nehir

nehir Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga Geforce GTX 295
    Gene 2 has LCD poster. Active it in Bios.. (You must integrate it on your mobo).. You don't need any other software.

7. Moogy

Moogy Master Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 9800GTX
    NB is 57C at idle and SB is 46C.

8. nehir

nehir Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga Geforce GTX 295
    50/47 - 10/40% load.

9. Moogy

Moogy Master Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 9800GTX
    Seems like my NB is a bit toasty then...

10. gampamu

gampamu Guest

GPU:
    MSI 8800GTS 320
    I believe what nehir was trying to say is leaving the settings on auto while overclocking will cause the mobo to set the chipset volts much higher than necessary resulting high temperatures. The majority of modern mobos tend to crank up the volts way too high when on auto setting, in some cases dangerously high. Best to overclock using manual setting.

There are not many folks running mATX X58 boards and it's unlikely you will get any help with settings anytime soon. My best advice is to borrow some settings from ATX X58 crowd and tweak to suit.

11. Moogy

Moogy Master Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 9800GTX
    Yah, so far everything is running fine, it just seems my SB is a bit warm, so I can probably lower the voltage on that. Any recommendations on where I can find some details on what settings to use? (i.e. raise SB voltage 5% per every CPU X)

12. worthy

worthy Master Guru

GPU:
    2 ATI hd 4870 512s
    The biggest thing to look out for one one of these boards is the "loadline calibration" feature in BIOS. It will cause temps to be WAY higher under load than they can be, and the feature really isnt useful unless you are doing some extreme overclocking that you wouldnt be doing via normal methods.

Disable it. You don't need it.

For those with crappy NB and SB temps, pull that stupid heatpipe thing and take a look at the crap TIM they use on there. It's some kind of rubberized junk. Not good at all. replace it with mx2 and life will be a lot easier. Or just watercool it.

In all seriousness, if you want some serious rock solid reliability and low temps, just watercool it.

Bitspower makes some really nice board blocks for the rampage 2 extreme, and I am sure the gene is soon to follow.

13. worthy

worthy Master Guru

GPU:
    2 ATI hd 4870 512s
    The southbridge will be warm because the TIM used sucks and because the "heatspreader" also sucks if you want to even call it that. It's ok though. Don't worry about that. The NB temps are what need to be kept in check.