Sky News exposes dodgy laptop repair shops UK

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

Sky News in the UK have exposed several laptop repair shops including some big names like Micro Anvika and PC World. During the investigation researchers unplugged a RAM stick from a laptop to see if...

More...

2. Doug

Doug Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Brilliant, hope this report gets on all the news channels :) Bloody PC World, dodgy b4stards

3. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    who get their PC repair at PC World?

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Busted...!

File transferring is the industry norm, but transferring website login details - that's very naughty...not on at all.

5. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Yes, it is bad...

I knew that some pc repair stores were looking HDD's to find some pr0n to transfer to their own pc's, but nothing else.

Facebook and hotmail account, damn... But bank details ? Hell.

6. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    not only pr0n, MP3s/movies a lot more

7. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Thats why you should repair everything yourself.

8. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    If i remember correctly there was report here on the news about the US companies here also. Cant find the link though.

And yeah i agree with kylzer on this one. A person these days needs to learn at least the very basics of computer management on how it works so they can fix some of the stuff themselves and if you need a repair shop be sure to make your research before sending your PC off to there.

Also if i can recall doesnt windows had some sort of booting log on whats been done to the PC?

9. dshramek

dshramek Guest

I believe it was on 20/20. They removed the ide cable to the hdd & took it to several shops, Best Buy included. Same thing. employees stole files, installed keyloggers, & over charged & lied about the problem. Only 1-2 shops were honest.

10. salanos

salanos Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX980 4GB (Ref.)
    I know a guy who used to work in PC World...

11. xcalibur+

xcalibur+ Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS EAH4670 512 DDR3
    my cousin that work at the state have an old dodgy lappy but when he ask to repair at a repair shop (he didn't said what shop he came into..), he said that it's better to buy a new lappy than repairing his broken one.. wtf? :3eyes:

12. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Yeah that can be true in some cases.

13. Beez

Beez Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 GTX 4Gb
    I haven't been back into PC World after my last visit a few years back when i went in looking for thermal paste. Couldn't find any so asked one of the assistants, they looked at me as if i was stupid and said they'd never heard of such a thing. :bang:

14. Stromgold

Stromgold Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1060
    PC shops very often employ idiots. I try to avoid them as much as possible. Over the last few years, I've made two purchases at pc shops. (ram and a mouse) I do all my own repairs, as well as friend's/family's repairs. :)

15. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    I agree what there doing is totally wrong and hope that get done to the full extent of the law.

As for everyone having to learn how to do these repairs themselves i simply dont think that'll happen, some aren't interested they just wanna turn it on and have it work, which i think is fair enough. Not everyone is interested in this stuff like we are and that certainly doesn't make it there fault for getting ****ed like this b4 any1 jumps in with a comment like that.

Plus im hoping to switch careers and move in to IT as a Technician I dont want people learning this stuff, won't make as much cash from it lol ;)