looking to push my rig to the limit, where to start?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by GhostfaceKillah, Jul 20, 2009.

1. GhostfaceKillah

GhostfaceKillah Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 275 896MB DDR3
    here are my specs:

windows vista ultimate x64
    intel core 2 quad q6600 @2.4ghz (kentsfield)
    4x1gb OCZ reaper DDR21066
    evga gtx275 896mb DDR3
    Asus striker II formula
    WD veloci raptor 150gb HD (os)
    WD black 1tb (data)
    Antec Earthwatts 650 PSU
    Antec 900 case
    (I play games at 1280x1024 resolution)

Everything runs pretty well STOCK, I can run Crysis: Warhead on Gamer w/ AA at around 20-30fps average, but I feel like my rig has so much more potential. Where should I start overclocking? CPU, GPU? memory?

I'm relatively new to overclocking cpu's, and memory, but I kinda know what I'm doing with GPUs.

some links to useful threads or sites would be very appreciated!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  2. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Well, when you OC your processor, you will OC your memory. It's best to buy an aftermarket cooler when overclocking as stock coolers usually can disspate the extra heat caused by overclocking. Aftermarket coolers tend to be better designed for this function.

There's actually a guide on how to overclock a Core 2 Quad on Guru3D. I suggest you take a look at it here:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=227317

deltatux

3. GhostfaceKillah

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 275 896MB DDR3
    I have a zalman 9700

4. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Then you should be good. Just follow that guide then ;).

Goodluck,
    deltatux

5. GhostfaceKillah

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 275 896MB DDR3
    so my cpu is where i should start?

6. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    hey man start a new thread in the INTEL section. you will get help there dude. what chipset is you motherboard?

7. GhostfaceKillah

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 275 896MB DDR3
    780sli chipset on the striker 2 formula

8. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    yep, i agree, OC your CPU, but overclock that gfx card first as it will give you the easiest performance increase, use Rivatuner to overclock it, but before you overclock it, set the fan to 100% in rivatuner( eliminates any heating issues ) and overclock it small jumps( dont stick the sliders up full lol )

9. RKOver

RKOver Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 @ 900MHz
    Your system is beast, just needs at least a 3.6GHz+ on that CPU.

10. Havokie

Havokie Master Guru

GPU:
    4890 Vapor-X 950/1150
    eh has no-one noticed his horrible performance?

Q6600 + GTX275 = "20-30fps" at 1280x1024 on gamer? That's miles below the capabilities of that spec, you really need to look into that it's not normal performance.

also i wouldn't exactly say it "needs at least a 3.6Ghz+", thats a bit of an exaggeration. Bump it up to around 3Ghz at first which requires no effort and will give you a nice increase, beyond that in most games a 3Ghz quad is going to be limited by the GPU before it itself becomes the limiting factor.

11. kangpc

kangpc Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX275
    nice ive got about the same exact setup as you, about to try my first overclock as well. GL bro let me know what you do.

edit: to add to the FPS statement. I run crysis Warhead at about 30-35 fps on all gamer in 1920x1080, so im surprised yours is lower as well.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  12. GhostfaceKillah

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 275 896MB DDR3
    thats what i thought! i figured my new gtx 275 would be strides better than my old 8800gts in crysis but i only experienced minimal fps gains....

maybe i installed the wrong gpu driver, rivatuner cant detect the version i'm running (i've used rivatuner a lot and never experienced this...?)

13. Ji1986

Ji1986 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Ddi you uninstall the old drivers first before installing the new ones. that could help you as well.

As for overclocking your cpu. you will get it to 3.2 without changing anything other then you vcore and set your memory to manual with clocks at 5-5-5-15 and you will be fine.

and higher and you will need to up the NB and SB. and a few other little details

14. GhostfaceKillah

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 275 896MB DDR3
    i did a fresh build when i got my new gpu.

i just used drive sweeper to clean up the old driver and i now have 186.24 vista x64 installed (from g3d)... but riva still wont detect the driver?

15. kangpc

kangpc Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX275
    just an update if youre curious, I did a quick overclock.. hopefully I didnt screw anything up. I've got it running at 3 Ghz (9x 333) and all the temps seem fine. I played Crysis Warhead for about 45 mins, cpu never got above 50 C, everything seemed good. Also it seemed to run smoother. 30-50 fps on gamer with 2x AA.

Good luck!

16. Ji1986

Ji1986 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    run intel burn test to test your stability. games are only really useful to test your gpu overclocks.

but its a good start non the less.

If you do have stability up your cpu clock to 355 with a vcore of about 1.32 and then test again.

17. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I think some one needs a new screen... hahaha gtx 275 and Q6600 on 1280X1024 still? Ouch...

18. kangpc

kangpc Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX275
    I didn't really mess with the settings too much on that 3.0 ghz overclock. In fact I changed some settings and it booted up first try and ran prime 95 for 2 hours with no errors with a max temp of 54 c on one of the cores. I've got the vcore set to 1.26, but i'm thinking I should try to lower it and see if I can run it on less to make it cooler. I also noticed in cpu-z that the voltage was reading between 1.18 - 1.2 under load. I guess that is the vdrop(or vdroop?), but that seems like a larger amount than most people seem to get. (a .8 drop, I think the voltage is 1.22 at idle, so its .4 then).

Or should I just go for 355 at 1.32 for 3.2 ghz like you suggest and see if it works and tweak from there?

19. kangpc

kangpc Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX275
    I obviously meant .08 and .06...

I had a brain fart earlier I guess

20. RobsGTS

RobsGTS Banned

GPU:
    BFG GTX 275 760mhz Core

He is extremely CPU limited at such a low resolution hence his not so great performance.

Its not really an exageration at all, I would advise him to go for 3.4ghz or more to get the most out of that GPU, especially at such a low resolution where he is CPU bound.