i7 Keep up With 285?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Keith Wing, Jul 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Does that include any members from nvnews?

2. RobsGTS

RobsGTS Banned

GPU:
    BFG GTX 275 760mhz Core
    I seem to remember you leaving this thread.

How about sticking to it.

3. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    *cough*

4. RobsGTS

RobsGTS Banned

GPU:
    BFG GTX 275 760mhz Core
    No need to repeat yourself, I saw it the first time. Here.....I can repeat myself too......wanna see?

*cough*

5. Xionos

Xionos New Member

GPU:
    GTX260
    :heh: i love how Robs can talk smack all day long, but when someone asks him to put up, he fails to deliver.

6. Crisis66

Crisis66 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX970
    Well guys sorry for the late response on my benchmark session but I've decided to delay it due to a few things. First is that it was my brother's birthday today so I spent most of my time chilling with him and secondly I decided I will probably "borrow" my dad's 24" monitor tomorrow to get results for 1680x1050 and 1920x1080. Even if I can I'll try to get results for my system with a GTX 260 vs my GTX 285.

It'll be a long, hot benchmarking session tomorrow. But at least it's raining tomorrow here in Toronto so it will give me a reason to stay indoors and waste the day away testing. :)

By the way, should I make a fresh thread or just continue posting in this one for the results?

@ Robs:

No offense meant to you or anything but I'm not sure if your statement about my rig was sarcastic or you taking a stab at me. :confused:

Regardless of which it is though, doesn't matter to me. I'm just wondering. :)

7. RobsGTS

RobsGTS Banned

GPU:
    BFG GTX 275 760mhz Core
    Are you just stupid or what? how bout you look back a few pages, I did back up my statements. I cant help it if you and Lavans continue on in your state of denial.

8. RobsGTS

RobsGTS Banned

GPU:
    BFG GTX 275 760mhz Core
    No, I wasnt taking a jab at you or your rig, it was related completely to something else between Lavans and I.

You have a sweet running rig, no doubt.

9. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    I'll go ahead and make a new thread under the Benchmarking Mayhem. I got a feeling that this thread is going to be closed soon because some trolls are all talk no show.

Link - http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=3214809

10. Xionos

Xionos New Member

GPU:
    GTX260
    lol, robs, your a known fanboy and troll in these forums. right now, lavans has more basis to stand on because he has links to reviews from credible sources...and you don't have any, which means you have no basis.

wether or not lavans is right, or even if your right or not, doesnt matter. im more inclined to believe lavans over you right now because he has contributed more to this thread than you have.

11. RobsGTS

RobsGTS Banned

GPU:
    BFG GTX 275 760mhz Core
    So because I have proved you wrong about your case with overclocking from 3ghz to 4ghz im a troll now? ROTF. Okay. Man you are one pathetic individual.

12. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    i am actually gonna stand up for rob a bit here. he has produced coherent arguements with some factual results

and some gurus here are blatantly winding him up cos of his previous posts which have been a little bit inflammatory and fanboyist.

fact is lavans you made a post which i objected to on the grounds that it was coming across as negative in terms of oc'ing to a certain mr keith wing.

(who has probably run a mile by now). fact he was asking whether it was worth ocing his corei7 to around 3.8hz with his 285. i can safely say yes to this.

and if u deny that it isnt...its a complete load of twaddle. now this has just got petty and pedantic and i can see a pretty feeble attempt by yourself to not appear wrong or wriggle out of it

frankly who cares really? why cant u just come out and say yes perhaps i came over as a bit negative...no big deal. but now it seems you are determined to argue the toss come what may.

you had a point regards not all games will show a hugh diff in fps from overclocking.

so lets just leave at this. yes some games will show more of a fps gain whether you are ati or nvidia. yes increasing cpu speed helps when u have a more powerfull gpu. yes at lower resolutions games can become more cpu bound.

yes if you have time and money and are into your pc as an hobby : overclock. a) you will enjoy it B) your pc will run faster in games and in general C) it will increase your e-peen :)

i have dug up my tests with a 275 and 295 with going from stock to 3.8ghz.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=294409

left for dead shows a 23fps increase on my setup. 4 aa 16af. ok this might be an example of one games that responds well. i dont feel i need to test others atm..if one game doesnt get a 23 fps maybe 5fps and another 10fps this is all irrelevant...

what you point was and is, is, i think, is dont overclock your corei7 with a 285 because one game might show a 20fps but other a 5fps. i dont see your logic. if one game does get a nice 20fps...that surely its worth it? you have an oc setup that is there waiting to take advantage of any game that can utilise it..

Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  13. RobsGTS

RobsGTS Banned

GPU:
    BFG GTX 275 760mhz Core
    Yeah okay, because I choose to go with the card CURRENTLY that offers better driver support along with physx............ im a fanboy. :)

When ATI gives me a reason to switch back to them then I will.

Once again I will trust my own findings over these so called review sites which I have seen first hand many many times throw up numbers that were seriously way way off in one way or the other.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  14. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    this is your statement = in relation to ops setup (which i currently have)= wrong

and also pretty much generally wrong re all setups.

basta ya!

15. RobsGTS

RobsGTS Banned

GPU:
    BFG GTX 275 760mhz Core
    :heh:

16. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Indeed it is my statement. I also brought in sources to back me up on why I said it too.

I never said that the OP wouldn't gain performance by OCing his CPU. Quite the contrary, I stated that he would see a performance gain as long as the game he was playing was bound by the CPU. Also, I've agreed with you that OCing is worth it because of the fact that it's essentially a free upgrade. While I can understand why you feel I've put a negative connotation on overclocking, it wouldn't make sense for me to put down something that I've performed on my own rig on more than one occasion. My argument was never about whether overclocking is worth it or not. My argument is about how much of a gain could one expect.

Regardless, I too agree that the discussion should be left as is. There's no reason to continue this particular debate. With that said, I would love to see some benchmark results in the newly created thread I linked above.

17. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    The rules on trolling and fighting are very clear here in the forums. RobsGTS is now removed from the forums. Pillmonster ... really, the next time I spot you push a guy like that you face the same fate.

If you have an issue with a user, contact the staff. But remember, we are here to offer you quality forums, we are NOT babysitters. We do not invest time and energy in people who constantly are debating and fighting. We simply remove them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.