a good free online game ?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by [ R ], Jul 20, 2009.

1. [ R ]

[ R ] Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 9800GTX+ Quad Pipe
    me and my friend want to play a free online game but we are both fans of MMORPG's we both played the first wow for hours on end legit of course but since we both couldn't buy the expansions and our characters are still at lvl 60 we said meh ... so now we want a good free online MMORPG other wise if there is an MMORPG which you just have to buy once and there is no monthly money crap that would also be good but the mmorpg should have a good server population and should be fun to play , we have looked at cabal online and rf online but they did not look very promising ... so im hoping you guys can give me some feedback

2. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst schtserv.

3. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  4. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Guild Wars , u know buy and no monthly fee..or wait for Guild Wars 2.ofcourse i dont know if its will have monthly fee or not.

5. [ R ]

[ R ] Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 9800GTX+ Quad Pipe
    FULMTL

... dude ... i said i want free game not a game that would make me want to gouge my eyes out with a salad fork o_O

@mr bigtime

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?term=guild+wars

which one should i buy ? the game of the year edition ? and whats nightfall ? does it come with game of the year edition ? and how is the gameplay and population ?

6. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    guild wars is a great game especially if you get into the pvp aspect of the game, factions is the big pvp heavy expansion, eon, nf are more the pve centered expansions. the single player campaigns are well done tho, and the dungeons are pretty good and interesting. i certainly felt more involved with the single player quest lines in gw that wow where i felt no actual connection to the game world at all or felt like i was doing anything of import.

eon has the heros hall thing where you can collect items and heroes that supposedly will transfer into guild wars 2 that is due out in the next year or something. probably is enough content to keep you busy especially of you get all the expansions and like the pvp aspect of the game until guild wars 2 comes out.

beyond that i would go with the trilogy has 3 of the 4 campaigns, only missing eye of the north, not 100% sure what the the goty editions have over the standard eds, but the trilogy has the most bang for you buck 50 bucks for 3 expansions and you would have payed about 50 bucks each for at release.

7. Flopster

Flopster Banned

GPU:
    Club3D 8600GTS 256MB
    Guild Wars?:3eyes:

8. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    BattleField Heroes is good fun, i know its not mmo

9. NiukNiuk

NiukNiuk Guest

GPU:
    MSI R6950 twin frozr II
    GuildWars

It has three stand alone campaigns:

GuildWars prophecies : the first that came out in april 2005
    GuildWars factions: april 2006, asian themed, includes two new professions (assassin and ritualist)
    GuildWars Nightfall: came out in october 2006, it's african/desert themed, and includes two new professions: Paragon and dervish.

There's an expansion that came out in september 2007: Eye of the North. You need one of the stand alone campaigns to play it.
    It doesn't include any new professions, and it contains a personal "monument" in wich you can put your personnal accomplishments in the game, in order to "transfer" them to GuildWars 2 when it'll came out (if it even came out one day ^^)

More info on the official wiki:
    http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Main_Page

@Mr. Bigtime:
    GuildWars 2 won't have any monthly fees.

10. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    i have only Guild Wars, others r addons, new characters and MAPs/PLACES/MONSTERS/QUESTS etc. and if u gonna buy it, do not buy from Steam. Original developers websites sells it more cheaper and u can use paypal too.

BTW, dont know year edition stuff.

11. alst

alst Guest

GPU:
    8800gt
    quake live, it's almost like mmorpg, the more you play the better you are :)

12. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    EVE trial

I played that game good fun until i got podkilled, i just got donnations from people who felt sorry for me cos my ship was a pos

13. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    LOTRO with lifetime subscription ? :p

How about Runes of Magic ? It's free to play and no monthly fees. Friend plays this and likes it very much.

14. Dahzeal33

Dahzeal33 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x eVGA GTX 275 SLI
    If you like the fantasy stuff, I'll agree with most of these guys and say Guild Wars is your best bet for free (after the initial cost). The game just has a ton of polish, and an incredible sound track.

I had a great time with it back in the day, and I'm trying to fight the need to reinstall it again.

15. Digitalx

Digitalx Member

GPU:
    ATI 5870

16. Dahzeal33

Dahzeal33 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x eVGA GTX 275 SLI
    Hey btw, are there still a lot of people playing Guild Wars? The campaigns?

17. NiukNiuk

NiukNiuk Guest

GPU:
    MSI R6950 twin frozr II
    I played it a lot since it came out until early this year.
    I'm a bit bored at the moment, I've done nearly everything in the game "pve-wise", I'm not so much interested in the pvp aspect (too elitist), and I don't feel the need to get 30 titles maxed :) (I have 28 titles maxed at the moment, and it's enough for me). My main character is a paragon.
    I log in several times a week to see the daily zaishen quests and I do them if there are not too long.
    I still follow guildwars news (forums, wikis etc), I'm currently waiting for some news about the next "content update", and maybe some guildwars 2 news during this summer's Penny arcade expo.

18. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    Seriously?? I tried DOMO just now and it is a big pile of crap!!
    As much as i love anime/manga themed games, this game is a disgrace and totally unoptimized.

Come on man! Everything at max, no AA and no AF and the result is 5-10 fps and looks like horse dung. Remember the Oblivion LOD gfx problems? Well, the "soup" was also present in DOMO.

I'm not really a GFX guy, since i also love playing old pixelated DOS games, but this was unbearable. :(

No hard feeling, man. :nerd:

19. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    DDO will be free (well, in game shop so probably not free or even more expensive depends on how they do it).

Guild Wars and its expansion 'are' good but not many people doing PvE now so expect to do a lot of soloing with henchie and your 'underling'.

Guild Wars 2 could be good but its not out yet.

20. ZeroAndOne

ZeroAndOne Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 6800GS AGP 256mb @ stock
    Don't like MMO because of all those grindings.
    It takes forever to level up.

However, I did try some that are completely free except for micro transaction.

1. Knight Online (Out of these, I think it's the best. The most fun)
    2. Rappelz (Best graphic)
    3. Maple Story...LOL