Smartphones: Touchscreen or no touchscreen?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography, Home and Portable Electronics' started by Bravo, Jul 12, 2009.

?

Touchscreen or no touchscreen

1. Touchscreens are for me!

22 vote(s)
    88.0%
  2. Touchscreens are NOT for me!

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  1. Bravo

Bravo Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA Geforce 9600GT 512MB
    A simple question just I got out of a chat with Mr.Bigtime. Do you guys/girls like smartphones with touchscreens or without?

I personally love touchscreens (getting my first touchscreen phone, the touch diamond on tuesday...I know there are newer ones but they are SO expensive!)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
  2. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    I would like to have something with keyboard.

If you looking one with touchscreen and qwerty keyboard take a look at N0kia N97.

3. Bravo

Bravo Master Guru

GPU:
    I looked at that one but I noticed that it's actually quite slow. The keyboard is nice though. I decided to get the Touch Diamond because it's small, and very thin but it can do alot! Not a big fan of hardware keyboards on phones, I don't really know why to be honest.

4. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    I voted for them.. I think they are a welcome step forward in the GSM realm. Of course, they take some getting used to. I still have a sony w810 and its outdated a bit, but I can text quite easily with it having had it for so long. I remember trying to type out a txt on my cousin's iphone and it was tough to say the least.
    I'm sure you would get used to it, but at first it was a bit messy hehe

5. thecake90

thecake90 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 1060GTX
    After you use a proper touchscreen phone you will never go back trust me!!

[​IMG]

I use a N0kia 5800 very happy with it ^^ 16:9 (640 x 360)so it is very good for movies!
    I really like the hand writing too.

6. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    It depends on what you need. Everyone I know with a touch screen phone HATES it except for the palm pre. I work in a tech environment and I need corporate e-mails to my cell and everything synced. I went blackberry as their solution fit me best and their phones are literally made to take a beating. Did you ever open one up? Every single chip is covered with a metal plate so that in case of a water drop, the chips will be spared. You can huck the thing at a brick wall and use it (I've seen someone do it in rage). After plenty of research (especially in the cool factor), my pearl 8130 does it's job with flash.

7. Bravo

Bravo Master Guru

GPU:
    I've heard mixed things about the palm pre, some love it others say its bad. Who knows. Yeah Blackberry's are aweseome for work I've heard.

I will only be using my phone to put my shifts into the Calender (actually put alot of things into the calender because I am REALLY forgetful), and use it for email clients and the GPS of course (I don't know my way around any city...so its useful to have a GPS when I'm in the ambulance :p), and of course for multimedia.

@thecake90 Thats what I think too, touchscreens are so fun to use! I guess business oriented people choose devices with qwerty keyboards because they have to type alot more emails and such.

8. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Depends on the phone, the iphone is the only phone that properly utilises a touch screen IMO. My friend has an LG Viewty and that's the biggest piece of crap ever. As is the LG Prada.

9. Bravo

Bravo Master Guru

GPU:
    LG mobile phones are all pretty bad (touchscreens at least) from what I've heard and read.

I've been researching Touchscreen phones for a couple of weeks now to find out the best one I could buy (of course price paid a big part) and the best way to some up the Iphone vs. Windows Mobile debate is: The Iphone is a fun toy, but windows mobile is very powerful.

The customization and programs you can get for windows mobile are incredible, thats one of the main reasons I decided to go for a HTC phone. Also because the Touch Diamond looks way nicer than the Iphone in my opinion.

10. bp9801

bp9801 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GTX
    Certain LG phones are bad, at least the first version of them with the touchscreen. When the LG Dare first came out, the screen had some lag on it but a firmware update fixed that. I have the LG Voyager and I haven't had any lag with its touchscreen. My friend just got the EnV Touch and he loves it, they've packed a ton of features into it, almost comparable to the iPhone he says. LG still makes some really great phones, they've advanced a long ways in their touchscreen in just a short amount of time.

Just they don't generally make much in the way of a smartphone. :p For my next phone, I've been eyeing the Samsung Omnia or the Blackberry Storm. I'd love to get one of the HTCs, but I can't justify spending that much money on one, no matter how nice it looks. Basically, so long as my next phone is another touchscreen, I won't have many problems with it. I just have to touch and feel it and make sure its up to specs first.

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
  12. Bravo

Bravo Master Guru

GPU:
    I checked out a few reviews of that phone, any most said it isn't any good...They said it was underpowered and that the UI had some bugs. How is it for you?

13. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    buttons are sooo 2000, touchscreen is the future!

14. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    no problem with KC910 Renoir here

15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    UI bugs can be fixed via firmware updates, my N96 was crap when first launched but after a few updates it's fantastic. I don't have the N97, but I've played with it in the local Vodafone store and I was impressed. My ex then bought it a few days ago and she loves it.

16. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    hey eclap can you ask your ex if the internet radio isnt restricted anymore ?
    id like to listen to shoutcast servers

17. Bravo

Bravo Master Guru

GPU:
    Oh ok cool. I'll take a look at it when I get the chance! But it definetly isn't as sexy as the Touch Diamond! :D

18. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    don't really do internet radio... but next time I see her, I'll check it out. which stations do you listen to?

19. Bravo

Bravo Master Guru

GPU:
    Just watched a review of the N97 and they say that it really is underpowered and buggy...but they also say that with firmware updates it could be really good. But I wonder, the underpowered part can't be fixed I guess, only made less noticeable.

20. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    what do they mean by underpowered?