The Windows 7 Thread Pt.2

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by aircool, Apr 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    What's the latest build that's been leaked now?

2. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    7264 which is in the RTM branch.

3. xankazo

xankazo Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 SC (6GB)
    totally agree. Win7 is REALLY for gaming. :)

4. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    So then right now, is there any real performance difference between this build, and 7232?

5. zomb69

zomb69 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 OC/3Dsyncmaster
    you dont need to find leaked one - microsoft is giving us the latest RC for free till 2010 with keys
    damn i just realized i only have build 7100 so maybe im wrong

if i get latest build will the key from build 7100 work?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2009
  6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Supposedly they remove all the debugging garbage from the RTM branch builds, so no more trace information is being sent back to Microsoft. That may or may not increase performance. I doubt it will be anything noticeable though. You do get some privacy from Microsoft though :p

7. happy

happy Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 9400GT
    im using build 7264, i've got to say runs better than the RC build, although the RC keys wont work but if you search there are work arounds ;)

8. IssacChua

IssacChua New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870X2 2GBDDR5
    windows 7 got some problem such as auto-arranging icon. quite annoying.

9. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Got it installed, mostly. Sad story, is my board only works with 2 slots under 7, so I'm stuck to 2gb of ram now. =[ Dynamic memory range can fix it, but my board doesn't have that option in the bios sadly.

10. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    From the reply I got from EB it would appear as if they will start supporting it once it goes RTM since that would be a finished product that they can use without the worry about MS changing it again on them.

11. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    D: Call of Duty 4 doesn't work. Just launches, goes to black screen, crashes. Using build 7232 x64.

12. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I just used the Homegroup troubleshooter to fix an issue and it actually worked! :nerd: One of my PC's couldn't see the other, but not vice versa. Anyways, I was kinda shocked a native "fix-it" utility works.

Still liking this alot. I'm using 7232 64 bit, and it's been nearly flawless. The only problem I've seen is my task bar got colorfully pixelated once after an improper game shutdown (my fault there).

Could this be a milestone OS that requires no future Service-Packs?

13. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    There will always be service packs that bundle previous updates, include new ones and add new features. They've actually had an SP branch since the RC.

14. China Mark

China Mark Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5870 1GB (1040/1275)
    There better be no flippin bugs after all this global testing though:)

15. SL2

SL2 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980
    Windows 7 x64 Experiences Thusfar

Experiences:

Windows 7 Beta x64
    Installed on main PC via spare 80GB SATA HDD. Problems with DX9 gaming, sound card driver BSOD'ing (Creative were off to an outstanding start it seemed.). Lots of program compatibility errors with vista based x64 codecs etc for video playback. WMP12 crashed frequently with a Read-Only copy of my MP3 collection (Ho ho ho, even when "Do not update my media" ticked it still wants to screw with my AC-DC collection by forcing /'s into tag names). Performance overall for OS features and data management were much improved. Gave it 4 days testing in total before reinstalling Vista Ultimate x64 out of boredom.

Windows 7 RC x64 Ultimate Build 7100
    WMP issues fixed and was able to get it to pair up with my Xbox 360 via Media Streaming & Multimedia Center. Network throughput considerably better with overall lower CPU usage, even in Full duplex 100TX (Can achieve 11.0 to 11.5MByte/sec). Issue with Libraries in WMP being reset on reboot, was not able to trace cause, remained after reinstall also.
    DX9 Gaming working now, program compatibility issues fixed, Creative released another "beta" driver for my X-Fi which miraculously fixed their shortcomings of their first driver (Guess they realised Microsoft supplies an SDK or their Code monkey came back from long term sick leave...actually probably both to be frank).

Able to get x264 HD hardware playback with DTS 5.1 sound via Media Player Classic x64. Shocked to find that it also works in WMP12 x64...crikey! :gape:
    DivX labs released a MKV technical preview for WMP12 x86, meaning if I feel like it I can steam MKV (though only with AC3 or AAC sound) to my Xbox 360 or via Multimedia Center if you use the x86 version of Windows 7.

Windows 7 x64 Build 7229
    Overhauled my Media server Shuttle SN.95.G5 v2 XPC with Windows 7 x64 Build 7229. Armed with 3.5TB worth of Storage capacity and Gigabit LAN (That now actually runs reliably and at 1Gbit thanks to forced driver rewrites from Marvel) it's running fantastic. Having a 2x1TB Samsung Stripe Raid (Dynamic Disk) write to a 2x500GB Seagate Stripe Raid (Dynamic Disk) at 130-150MB/sec constant is new to me on this ex-Main PC. On Vista x64 I'd get 60-90MB/sec throughput on a good day and I'm not convinced it was driver related as I tried an SATA add-in controller card as well.

Installed on Main PC and can only report good things in comparison to Vista x64 or Windows 7 Beta. WMP12 library issue resolved for me in this build.

Eagerly awaiting RTM with cash & coinage ready even if nothing changes from the current build I'm running.

16. China Mark

China Mark Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5870 1GB (1040/1275)
    May not be a Win 7 problem as I'm using RC build 7232 x64 and Call of Duty World at War plays fine.

17. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    thats a punkbuster game... tried Battlefield games cause I'm curious as to how you got any build over 7127 to get PB to work.

18. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Has PB been updated to work with the new APIs that had been added since the RC build?

19. China Mark

China Mark Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5870 1GB (1040/1275)
    I don't really know what Punk Buster is...some kind of anti-cheat system? I read that it wasn't going to work with Win 7 until the proper version is released, so whenever games ask to install it, I say "no" and if it installs it, or tries to, it doesn't seem to have any effect on the game. I think in COD WAW there is a box in the options menu where you can select it. I just leave it unselected.

20. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    What update?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.