Dead hard drive

Discussion in 'Laptops & Notebooks' started by Templar512, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Templar512

Templar512 Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon X2 4870 CrossFireX
    A few days ago the hard drive in my laptop went out :bang:. I was woundering if it would be better to buy a new hard drive for it and a copy of windows, or would it just be better to buy a new laptop? BTW the laptop is a HP Pavilion DV7.

2. MM10X

MM10X Guest

GPU:
    3080 FE
    why the hell would you buy a new laptop? and why the hell would you buy a new copy of windows?

first, if the laptop came with an OS, it also usually comes with a reinstall CD that will restore the system to factory settings, on any hard drive.
    if it did not come with the CD, you can usually order it for about $15-25 from the manufacturer.

secondly, last time i checked you can get the best 7200RPM 320GB laptop drive for about $80(USD).

laptops are easy to repair, i've taken mine apart twice, replaced the thermal paste, ram hard drive, replaced the motherboard in my old laptop, its very simple now. you just have to be abit more careful than with a desktop.

but if you laptop is old, and you where going to upgrade anyways then go ahead.

3. Templar512

Templar512 Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon X2 4870 CrossFireX
    sense the old hard drive, is 2.5" and sata, any hard drive fiting those specs should work?