OCZ Summit 250GB SSD review

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

We test the all new OCZ Summit SSD. OCZ submitted their 250 GB version for a review. The new Summit series SSD drives come with a massive 128MB cache and that certainly guarantees flawless operation...

More...

2. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Great! :thumbup: ive been waiting for a review like this. been a joy to read! :)

im keeping my eye on the 120gb Summit lately since its getting cheaper by the week. im getting one really soon :)

3. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Good review and good product.
    Corsair Samsung-based SSD had serious problems with small writes. IOS were MUCH worse than in case of Vertex/Falcon drives and they decreased significantly with time. It looks like they improved the firmware.
    Personally I decided to buy Vertex (no Falcons here). It had 2 firmware upgrades since it was reviewed on Guru3d and I think it'll be a little better in long run.

4. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Those "'hiccups" completely went away (at least in Windows 7) after flashing the firmware of the Vertex to 1.30.

Btw: the 60 GB OCZ Summit costs "only" $209.00 (after $30.00 Mail-In Rebate) compared to the 60 GB OCZ Vertex for $199.00 (after $30.00 Mail-In Rebate):

OCZ Summit OCZSSD2-1SUM60G 2.5" 60GB - $209
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227451

OCZ Vertex Series OCZSSD2-1VTX60G 2.5" 60GB - $199
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227394

5. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    get the caviar blue edition from WD... they have only one platter and will last a lifetime... at least a dog's lifetime

6. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    I bet, they make 10000% profit for all sold SSD drives.

Building 1 drive might cost em 10€ or less.

7. Rifle_Grunt

Rifle_Grunt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 460 TOP + 88k physx
    SSD's are looking better and better by the day and the price is going down like a stone in water too- it will still be a year or 2 before I consider getting one though as besides gaming and OS install there is not much I need them for....

8. RKOver

RKOver Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 @ 900MHz
    So this beats my 120GB Vertex? If so, I may have to buy this and sell my 2.

9. eRa`

eRa` Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GeForce GTX 570
    I've never experienced those hiccups even with an older firmware. Those were problems of the generation 1 devices.

On a side note, if you plan on purchasing a SSD make sure to move the swapfile and the temporary internet files of your browser to your HDD or into a RAMdisk (I'd recommend the latter). This is to get rid of all the tiny file read/write operations that wear out flash drives over time. And it speeds up browsing immensely.

10. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA

You misplace that as little out of context, this is intended for first generation SSD drives with no large cache. The JMicron controller had like 16KB cache, hence the small files issues, hence the hiccups.

11. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    I know that, but besides that I was experiencing sometimes a delay when I was opening the explorer, etc., but the 1.3 firmware fixed that.

That's basically all I wanted to share. :)
    I already have one for several months now and implemented all those "fixes", but thanks anyway. :)

12. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    So looking at that review the G.Skill Falcon is still the fastest of these drives right? Would that still be the most recommended purchase of these drives?

13. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I think a lot of geeks just soiled themselves reading that lol.

deltatux

14. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Hilbert, could you do some more subjective tests comparing FPS on the first load of a demo.

What I mean is, when you are playing the game realistically, the game will constantly (typically) still load things from the HD/SDD, even if you try to force pre-cache. When you run a timedemo (at least most people) ignore the first run as that is the FPS of the HD and doesn't give you accurate FPS of the CPU/GPU you are testing.

So I would be interested in seeing the real life speed boost, even if subjective, to jerks and pauses while the drive is being cached into the ram. I know Stalker does this quite a bit.