NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision review [ Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

With this kit finally able in Europe we figured it was time for a review. In this article we will test and review the NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision stereo kit. NVIDIA teamed up with Samsung to optionally...

More...

2. Rifle_Grunt

Rifle_Grunt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 460 TOP + 88k physx
    I want a pair of these soooo badly (seriously tempted to buy) BUT the price of the monniters puts me off, in time this technology should evolve and the price of the 120HZ monitors should come down making this be adapted in a much wider audience. However I think the stereoscopic glasses are still reasonably priced.

Ps- Hilbert: since you have the sync master 120hz screen , any chance of doing a full review on it?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  3. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Yeah that's exactly my conclusion isn't it, the prize is really hindering this product.

A review on the monitor - well the kit is to be returned soon. But what do you need to know ? I mean it's a fast TN screen, proper contrast. I feel it lacks connectivity and should have been a 19x12 screen.

But this is your typical run of the mill LCD also in terms of configurability. Samsungs always have been good.

4. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    Thanks Hilbert for that review :)
    Guru3D never fails to surprise me! This technology is looking very damn good, now I was just wondering why you didn't try playing FEAR or FEAR 2 :p

5. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 Ventus 3X
    NVIDIA implemented that option called 3D-Vision Discover using Anaglyphic stereoglasses, which actually is available completely free of charge and is flicker free. no need for high refresh rate monitor nor an expensive 3DVision kit. all you need is cheap paper/plastic red/blue glasses.

it works wonders with latest 186.18 whql driver, though I haven't got the red/blue glasses yet to properly evaluate the effect.
    but hey - it works fine for cinema so it can't be that bad.

(yellow/blue L4D example)
    [​IMG]

now, you stated that "This is not a preferred technology for the PC and especially PC gaming"
    but comparing costless (0-1$) cinema-like 3D against a 475 EUR "pro" kit, the above statement seems somewhat out of proportions.
    also note 475eur for a single player/viewer vs ~1$ per player in an offline multiplay environment.
    did you actually test games with it ? its a shame you didn't mention anything regarding this kind of experience,
    except pointing out this tech is "not preferred for PC".

I'm really looking forward to try the anaglyphic way. its free and works right away. I understand this is some kind of marketing for the "real deal", but nevertheless its more of an interest to me and many people I know. long live the anaglyph :infinity:

anyway, thanks for the shutter glasses review, even though the internet is pretty much flooded with 3dvision reviews by now . :eyes:

6. Reaping_Ant

Reaping_Ant Member

GPU:
    XFX Geforce GTX 285
    Nice review! I've been following this product for quite some time now and have pretty much arrived at the same conclusion: Very interesting but just too expensive. Also, the limited choice of compatible displays is a little disappointing, especially since the Viewsonic part isn't even available in Europe, though I've been assured by Viewsonic that the follow-up model, the VX2268WM should be for sale around August.

As for the restriction to WSXGA+ resolution, I think the limitation lies with the connection rather than the displays themselves: DVI and HDMI (at least below version 1.3) just can't handle the bandwidth. DisplayPort or HDMI 1.3 would allow 1920x1080 at 120 Hz, but compatible devices are rare (do current videocards even support HDMI 1.3?).
    HDMI 1.4 explicitly includes support for 3D, though the exact method has not been specified. As soon as the technology becomes available for home cinema uses, the prices will hopefully go down fast.

A projector that can handle 1080p at 120 Hz would be a great thing and would only require the addition of HDMI 1.3, since there are several devices that already use 120 Hz technology, if only for motion interpolation.

As for the solution using Anaglyphic glasses, I've tried it myself, and while it is cheap and easy to use, it is far from being a long term solution, since color perception is very poor and extended usage is tiresome.
    However, it provides a very good impression of what is possible, and I encourage everyone to try it, since the cost is practically zero, just like applejack said.

7. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    No sexy myspace-styled picture of them on hilbert ? :(

8. thecake90

thecake90 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 1060GTX
    I'd sell my soul for one of those^^
    They're too cool!

9. justifireb2b

justifireb2b Member Guru

GPU:
    3x Asus GTX280 TRI-SLI
    Where do you get those red/blue glasses ?
    Seen 'My Bloody Valentine 3D' movie with same 3D effects and that was pretty cool.
    Want to give this a try, as i'm not going back to 20" from my 30" 2560x1600 LCD

10. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    I remember getting my first 3d shutter glasses many many years ago and was blown away by it. The two things that I loved to play were Flight Sim (flying through big cities, amazing) and the game Alice in Wonderland (holy cow was that game great with 3d glasses).

The biggest problem for me was that I like wearing my regular glasses when in front of my computer. Wearing my contacts gives me a headache when working on computers. Trying to wear my regular glasses and the 3d glasses at the same time was just a PITA.

11. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 Ventus 3X
    its not a problem to find one (ebay), but i'm having a difficult time deciding on which kind should I order... I'm now reading a thread at Nvidia's forum regarding this, so Ill quote relevant posts and we can try and figure this out together:

user:
    andrewf@nvidia:
    user:
    andrewf@nvidia:
    -----------------
    damn nvidian made me confused now. I've signed to the newsletter but haven't received it by mail yet.

I read stuff about these "Anachrome" 3D Glasses, which sounds pretty good, so I'm guessing this would be the best choice for us ATM, at least until NVIDIA shed some light on why and how should we use their own custom glasses. :bang:

12. justifireb2b

justifireb2b Member Guru

GPU:
    3x Asus GTX280 TRI-SLI
    After some Google i ordered red-blue (wich seem to be wrong) and red-cyaan wich seem to be the right ones from 3DStore.nl (http://www.3dstore.nl/catalog/index.php?cPath=32)
    If those work well, i gotta find some better quality glasses instead of those cheap carton ones.

13. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    Erm. Nvidia, I see one huge flaw in your strategy. Gamers are nerds. Nerds wear glasses. We don't need MORE glasses!

14. sharkchu12

sharkchu12 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 590 & GTX260+ PhysX
    If you're nerd enough, take out the lens of your glasses and stick it in front or behind the 3D lenses. Or you can just get contacts.

15. SamW

SamW Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GTX
    So the fps charts on each of the games are for total fps and not per-eye FPS right?
    So for world in conflict, you get only 7.5 fps per eye at 1680x1050.
    I wonder how the brain interprets the scene with the slight temporal difference between the images being received by both eyes. Does it interpret the above example as being choppy like a 7.5 fps running game, or does it feel smoother when each eye receives images from temporally distinct frames (somehow blend the time lapse between each eye's new frame to smooth out the overall experience). well i guess you own experience may only be valid for you own brain, but I'm curious anyways.

16. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Very nice explanation of the technology behind this idea. Still too expensive imo, though.
    They thought about that as well, it seems:

17. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    It would be 15fps for each eye; each frame is rendered once for each eye but from different angles, at least that's the way I understand it.

18. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    You need to double it up ... the framerate as shown in the charts is what your mind will see. You get 15 frames per second fired off at you with a 120hz refreshrate.

19. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Monitors really shouldn't be less than 1920x1080... I just have a beef with that. Honestly who would want to buy an extremely expensive monitor which only supports 1680x1050?

This is a stupid question but would 2048x1152 require dual-link DVI? That's resolution of my monitor and I didn't pay attention to anything I was just happy to have a new monitor, pulled it out of the box and plugged it in, lol.

20. SchwingSK

SchwingSK New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800GTS
    Have you received those? Which one works best?