GeForce GTX 295 single PCB review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    As far as case fans I have 4 of these on my system (P180 Antec case)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185054

Fan Size 120mm
    Bearing Type Sleeve
    RPM 3000 ±10% RPM
    Air Flow 133.60 CFM
    Noise Level 45.90 dBA

Right now all except the new one I got is on a cheap fan controller so that they have a low hum. Even on a low setting the fan puts out more air than most 120mm fans (since it is almost twice as deep).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  2. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    you have a top fan blowing down? you do know that hot air rises correct?

3. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    The natural force of hot/cold air moment do not come anywhere near exceeding the power of air movement by fans. Natural heat movement is really only a factor when you have little or no air movement.

Otherwise it is kind like saying you can spit at an incoming wave and it will turn around.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  4. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    I found that surprisingly humerous

5. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    though what you say is true, there's also the fact of: why would you blow hot air down, rather then suck hot air out?

6. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Because of the direction of the CPU fan that blows it out the back of the case.

7. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    ..it still makes no sense to blow that hot air down and keep it in the case. :/

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  8. Judge Zetsumei

Judge Zetsumei New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 768MB 8800GTX
    Positive air pressure ftw :banana:

9. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    So you prefer to blow hot air into your CPU heat sink??? That must be great for CPU OCing...

10. cimrins-b

cimrins-b New Member

GPU:
    POV GTX 295
    still same microstuttering?

i had an old ver gtx 295 and its had jerky microstuttering problem..
    will this new version eliminated that?
    shall i RMA the old with the new?:bang:

11. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    It's exactly the same, identical, same NF200 SLI chip and everything. If anything the new Single PCB 295 has cheaper hardware (DrMos vs Volterra) and the principles behind it's operation are identical. If you have stuttering with the Dual PCB 295 you'll have it with the Single PCB 295 and you'll have it with separate card SLI (2x 275). I've never experienced any stuttering after getting my 2nd RMA, first two had major problem (faulty GPU1 and faulty VRM1); if your stuttering is that bad I would guess you have a similar issue.

12. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090
    I am very intrigued by this Stukov. As I have an Antec 900 witha massive 200mm fan.
    What are your CPU temps like? My CPU is clocked at 4ghz 24/7. My Cooler is turned upwards towards the big 200mm an pushes out the warm air.

13. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    It's not optimal for heat flow, it's optimal for dust. This is why the Antec 900 in stock configuration is one of the highest performing cases on the market still to this day.

14. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090
    Yes but on "paper" your plan seems somewhat feasible!! Interesting what are your temps..?:nerd::nerd:

15. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Yeah, because room temp air is "hot air" as it gets drawn in from the outside then blown out the back.

And yes, my comp runs perfectly well. E8400 @ 3.6ghz with no voltage increase rock stable. I can run 4ghz with no voltage increase and it is stable in games, but the additional .4ghz doesn't increase performance by much and my ram is only 800mhz so I keep it at 3.6ghz.

16. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    40c idle, 50-55c load, that is my fans on the lowest setting, if I max out the fans (150CFM) then it is a lot cooler.

I can't push my air upward as it would work against my CPU coolers fan and be worthless.

17. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    Um no, you can't even understand your own sentences:

This is after Aura asks you about why you are blowing HEAT down instead of upwards and out and you answer with the above, which basically says you're blowing it through your CPU which is why I said what I did. Just because you have an intake fan up top doesn't suddenly make all your hot air in the case turn into cold air...cases with top intake fans are to create positive air pressure and reduce dust. Top exhaust fans are way more efficient at removing heat in negative air pressure setups but produce way more dust.

Maybe you should just sit and argue with the wall? Because all I did was repeat what you said yourself...though I guess you don't understand your own statements.

18. cimrins-b

cimrins-b New Member

GPU:
    POV GTX 295
    if i want to know which is faulty?how do i test it?
    and what the symptom of your first two card was?
    did microstuttering to?

sory for my bad english n my language percepion :bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  19. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    The best thing to do is download RivaTuner and monitor your temperatures/clock speeds and log them to a file. Then download a few programs like OCCT(run the GPU test 7 Level 10-20mins)/FurMark/ATI Tool/3DMark Vantage and run them all at stock speeds and monitor with RivaTuner. If you see anything weird like temps in excess of 95C or your clock speeds are changing or your VRM is hitting upwards of 100C then you know you have a problem. It's late and I don't want to go into all the details, but that is the basic idea. There are plenty of guides on RivaTuner and if you need any help PM me with specifics, I'll reply tomorrow.