m2n32 sli + 940BE Bios failer

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Taint3dBulge, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Taint3dBulge

Taint3dBulge Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    Ok i posted this in a diffrent post but noone answered it. Sorry for making multiple posts, but i gota get this fixed.

just isntalled 940be in my m2n32Sli Delux..

when it postes it goes thru and says that the Bios Failer sumthing and defaults are loaded.. u push f1 and it proceds to windows. if you go into the bios set things then restarts it wont post. the screens stay black. The only way to get it to post again it to clear the cmos by taking out the battery.

So i have tryed taking it out. iv tryed using only 1 stick of ram, or both sticks 1 time.

I had the 2207 bios then went back to the 2205. But it says the same thing every time...

How did you guys that have the same set up get it to work??? Also i did replace the battery too. Spent 8+ hours so far and nothing.

BTW i need to be able to get into bios to set my raid 0 for my main partition. and oc this bad boy of course!!!!

right now im on windows 7 7000 build, and i cant play hardly any games because Punk Buster dont support it!!!!! Im fried out and been drinkin this whole time too, which has made me even more pissy!

btw when i am in windows 7 with this new processor!!!! WOW AMAZING FAST!!!!! IM IN LOVE BUT I ALSO HATE IT AT THE SAME TIME.:3eyes:

plz plz help guys your a great bunch and i just wana go and play some CoD W&W!!!!

2. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Try reflashing your BIOS ... could be something funny that happened.

deltatux

3. Taint3dBulge

Taint3dBulge Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    Sorry if this is a dumb quesiton but is that the same as flashing it with a diffrent bios?

4. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    It's the exact same process... just redownload the BIOS file and flash it again.

deltatux

5. gandalf21502

gandalf21502 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 260GTX 216, 700/2300
    I have the same setup, using BIOS 2205. Did you clear your CMOS before you put the 940 in? Good idea to do that also. Then after you put the 940 in flash again. You may have to a bad BIOS also, like said above. Good idea to download again and flash again! Many have it working!

Here is a good thread to read and ask questions on: http://www.overclock.net/amd-motherboards/366989-asus-m2n-sli-m2n32-sli-club.html

6. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    You may be changing some arbitrary setting when you do get into your BIOS and start tweaking around.

Best thing to do, especially when playing with new gear, is to only change one thing at a time and test for stability by at least booting all the way into Windows after changing it - only when you begin changing values into higher states (i.e. higher FSB like 230+, higher voltages, higher CPU multiplier, etc.) - changing small things is easy and doesn't require anything more than booting all the way into Windows, but it sounds like there's some sort of setting that you're making while in there that's either not 'taking', or causes instability.

I should suggest setting up your RAID before changing any other values - you don't want to do anything like that with an overclocked system that's not proven stable.

Good luck!

Psychlone

7. Taint3dBulge

Taint3dBulge Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    OK UPDATE!!.... Iv tryed everything you said here already 3-25 times. Iv tryed 2001 bios 2205 bios and 2207 bios several times. cleared bios even cleared the RTC...... Nothing iv tryed everything, and now even put the old CPU back in and still getting the same thing. I think i might of fried the mobo or something of that short!!!! but after i clear the cmos it posts, and i can get into my windows 7 just fine and no hitches what so ever. but as soon as i restart the computer, the LCD doesnt reconize that anything is goiong on then i get the blicking digital / analog display, tthen i try tot restart and it does the same thing... so this is quite perplexing. iv googled for hours trying to find a cure and nothing.... 0 zip zilch!

Like is said before got new battery tried flashing 5+ times unhitched everything expt for 1 ram cpu and a hard drive and one gpu...

what else could cause this... It cant be the bios cause it still happens even with my 6400+ and before this day there has not been one thing that has gone wrong!

8. Taint3dBulge

Taint3dBulge Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    Btw its a bios checksum error.... And i finaly got it to boot normaly with the old processor on there, then i put the new one on again and it does the same ****...

9. gandalf21502

gandalf21502 Master Guru

GPU:
    Do you have all four of the memory slots full? That shouldn't make a difference, but it may be stressing the board to much if you have all four filled with the new processor. Looks like your PSU is good.

10. shadow_419

shadow_419 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5770 Vapor-X
    Maybe a bad battery is causing the cmos to get corrupted? It's worth a try to check the battery voltage.

11. Taint3dBulge

Taint3dBulge Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    Tried 2 new batteries, also only have 1 dim of ram in at the moment to try and get this to work, but it works with my old cpu. after you clear the rtc and take the battery out. put the old cpu in then boot and it works fine no errors. but then try the same thing with the 940be i get the checksum error over and over... i might just buy a new mobo and say screw messing around...

12. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Try putting back the old CPU, if it works then it could be a CPU fault? Else, it could be the board went bad.

deltatux

13. Taint3dBulge

Taint3dBulge Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090

Done that once, it worked just fine no problems after i put the old cpu back in.. i get it running fine i do a flash turn off the computer put the new one in. reset the bios and clear the RTC then turn it back on and it posts but says bad checksum. i take the 940be off and put the 6400+ on and clear bios and such and it works fine.... :bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang: Im going crazy, how can so many other people make this work and I cant?!?!?!

14. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I know people reported that the 940BE works with the board, but it's not officially supported by ASUS for the board. I cross checked the BIOS revisions with the CPU Support List, the CPU Support List is definitely updated as the latest BIOS 2207 is listed as required to support the Phenom 9850 and 9950 but no Phenom II processors...

Could it just be other people being lucky and you're the odd man out? Just a theory...

EDIT: It didn't even meet the Phenom II support list: http://event.asus.com/mb/AM3_CPU_Support/

deltatux

Last edited: Jun 13, 2009
  15. shadow_419

shadow_419 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5770 Vapor-X
    I know Asus boards have difficulty flashing to an older bios when you use the supplied utility on an AMI bios. Perhaps the same thing is happening with the Award bios as well.

16. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Actually ASUS releases BIOSes that can't be reverted to an earlier revision. It says it on the release notes when you download the BIOS.

deltatux

17. shadow_419

shadow_419 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5770 Vapor-X
    You can revert to an older bios on AMI bios board. You just have to use AMI AFUDos utility instead of ASUS' and force the flash using switches.

18. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    It's easy to revert to an older BIOS on any ASUS board - you can use the ASUS Update utility from within Windows...just click options and then ensure BIOS Downgradable is ticked.
    From within EZFlash2, simply select the BIOS file.
    From inside AFUDOS, type AFUDOS /xxx.rom /P /B /N /C (where xxx is the filename of the BIOS image)

@circumcizr:
    Sounds like you've either got a bad motherboard, or your one of the 'lucky' ones that can't get the non-supported chip to work properly.

But, I'm not sure I understand you correctly.
    From what I gather, you've plugged your old CPU in and everything works just fine, but with the new CPU, you have to reset the BIOS and then you can get into Windows? Or, you put in the new CPU and it *always* hangs with a bad checksum error??
    If it's always hanging with a bad checksum, then the CPU simply isn't going to work in that motherboard, and you should probably check into getting a newer and better AM2+ board.

Good luck!

Psychlone

Last edited: Jun 13, 2009
  19. Taint3dBulge

Taint3dBulge Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    The post doesnt hang when your first start it up, it will say bad checksum, then it will say f1 to continue or Delete to enter bios. If i hit f1 i can go into windows just fine and everything runs fine.

The problem i have is that no bios settings will save... Hence every time the bios checksum error occurs it sets all bios back to defulte. Also when i restart the screen stays black and nothing happens.... But im on my way to a pc store. i dont want to deal with the headack anymore... Ill just have to get myself a new board... This sucks tho cuse i want to get a crossfire board, but i dont wana buy a ati card untill the 5870's come out. or i get a sli board and put my 8800gt's in them and just get nvidia stuff but then i cant upgrade to the fusion software when that comes out... :wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker:

20. gandalf21502

gandalf21502 Master Guru

GPU:
    Well it seems you have done everything right. It is true the cpu isn't 'offically' supported on the board. Many, including myself, have it running AOK. BUT that doesn't mean every board will run it. You may have a board that just can't do it, there not all made the same, no matter what Asus would like you to believe. THOUGH I LOVE ASUS boards! It could be a bad cpu also, possibly. I assume you have no other board to test it on? Other than that, get a new MB.