Best drivers for 7800 GT ?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA Modified Drivers' started by Critter, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Critter

Critter New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte / HD4850 / 512MB
    Which are the best drivers for 7800 GT ?? I am always thought that newer the better. :) But if those older drivers are better than eg. 169.04 what about new games like timeshift, quake wars and crysis ? (well crysis does not run very good with this card for sure, but still it can be played with smaller resolutions and leave some details away).

2. elrazor

elrazor Master Guru

GPU:
    AorusMaster 3080
  3. Critter

Critter New Member

GPU:
    Any reasons for that ? Are the new drivers only fixes for GF8800 series ?

4. Critter

Critter New Member

GPU:
    Well those didn't work with Timeshift...

5. tuco

tuco Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 460's
    Best IQ driver's for 6'7 series gpus are:

92.91 DHZer0point

6. dvrocc

dvrocc Member

GPU:
    EVGA 7800GS 256mb AGP
    Dude if you want to play the hot demos Crysis you need the drivers recently posted by Nvidia in there beta section, 93.81 is a good drivers its just not good to run a "beta" game with tons of bugs and issues, best to get Nvidias beta. Also Nvidia 163.75 is a good driver they put the 7800 series back in for performance improvments, they stoped it all together a while back kinda messed up to, Forceware 158.22 and below has good performance for the 7800's along with the 163.75's anything else sucks.

7. Stabgotham

Stabgotham New Member

I ahve a 7800GT as well and was snooping around for some performance help. I'm currently playing games like Crysis and CoD4 to name a few. I'm using the most recent nVidia drivers, but I just want to make sure I'm getting this correctly.

The nVidia drivers are the best for this card and none of the modified drivers do very much for this card?

8. elrazor

elrazor Master Guru

GPU:
    AorusMaster 3080
    Ofcource DNA 169.4.

9. Burnt_Ram

Burnt_Ram Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1050 Ti
    did you ever find a good driver for CoD4? i tried to play cod4 on my wifes PC which has a 7800GT, and it ran terrible ..

10. Stabgotham

Stabgotham New Member

Well I've been using the most recent nVidia Forceware Drivers and CoD4 runs fine for me. I have sync turned off and no AS, but I'm at 2x AA with most other settings on Normal and I'm getting around 40+ FPS. During heavier firefights, it drops between 20-30.

If I turn sync on and add some AS, I average between 10-20 FPS...which makes it really unplayable during firefights. I'm also running the game on a 17" monitor at 1024x768. That's not the native resolution for my monitor, but it's what works to allow me to get some frames.

That's why I'm looking for better drivers hoping to get some more performance out of this for some better frames. I know that I could possibly overclock my card, but already runs around 58C-60C at full load without overclocking, so I'm not sure that's wise right now.

Could be that your wife's computer is a different setup or has a lot going on in the background...just a thought.

My rig is as follows:

Lian Li PC61
    ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
    AMD Athlon 3700+ San Diego
    2GB G. Skill DDR
    eVGA 7800GT
    WD Caviar 300GB
    X-Fi Xtrememusic
    Samsung 740n 17" LCD

What kind of drives me nuts about all this is that I still think that F.E.A.R. has some of the best graphics around...to this day (Crysis need not apply as that game is just too ridiculous - -thanks Crytek for making my computer cry), but I'm able to play that on all the highest settings flawlessly.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2007

11. sniper968

sniper968 New Member

New Drivers Cloudy Whitish Appearence

Hi, I upgraded to the new drivers 163.75 and even tried the beta drivers- but the result is still poor.

I get a white -ish cloudy appearance on my avi files when I play them (yes all updates done including DirectX.

I thought it was just incorrect graphic settings but no change helped.

Eventually I uninstalled the drivers and used the original setup disk to install the old 77.7 drivers.

My system is a XFX 7800 GTX 256mb. Using WinXP Pro. IntelCore2 6600@2.4GHZ and 2Gig of RAM.

After I reinstalled the old drivers - everything worked fine.

But is there a more stable driver ?

12. elrazor

elrazor Master Guru

GPU:
    AorusMaster 3080
    DNA 93.81 BETA 2 fully stable

13. Burnt_Ram

Burnt_Ram Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1050 Ti
    currently on my 7800GT machine im running 169.09, and they are good.

Source games, and CoD2 & 4 run really well. only other game i have on that machine is BF2, but i haven't tried it yet ...

14. Phalkon30

Phalkon30 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800 GT @ 420x1175 /water
    Sorry to bump an old thread, but has anybody got a recent suggestion for a driver? I recently upgraded to a 7800GT (yeah yeah...I know), and am getting lower FPS in TF2 than I did with my 6800GT.

15. Wildman95GS-T

Wildman95GS-T Master Guru

GPU:
    Intel HD Graphics 2000
    Not much help on this board for people that have 6,7 series cards. I have tried all the new drivers and had lot of problems. I have gone back to 94.24 and have given up on all the new driver until a new system falls from the sky :)