6800GT SLI on 182.08 XP 32 bit: Multimonitor question!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Pupp3tmast3r, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Pupp3tmast3r

Pupp3tmast3r Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Hello all!

I've been working on a secondary rig for my mom to play some games and watch some videos on. It consists of the following parts:

Mobo: Asus A8N-SLI
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice core
    RAM: 1 GB DDR-400 (2x 512)
    Video: 2x 6800GT 256 MB
    450W OCZ PSU
    2 HDD drives

I was wondering if the multimonitor support on the newer 182.08 drivers should work for this system. I want to connect the PC to a standard 17" LCD screen and a TV as a secondary screen. I know this was not possible with the older drivers (had the PC turned off for over 5 months so the drivers are from the pre-180 releases) but it should be possible now, right?

2. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    When you want SLI and two displays, you need Vista. XP doesn't support it. Sorry. :frown:

3. Pupp3tmast3r

Pupp3tmast3r Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Okay, well, that's all I needed to know really. I'll just use it on the TV then, don't have the money to buy Vista right now :) Thanks for the trouble Cybermancer :)

4. Pupp3tmast3r

Pupp3tmast3r Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    I've been thinking about this some more... Will Fedora or Windows 7 change anything about this? Because I have Fedora Core 10 running on the machine and I do have a beta key for Windows 7...

5. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Vista and 7 both support this feature. Fedora I don't know. :frown:

6. NightCrawler™

NightCrawler™ Member Guru

GPU:
    2 EVGA GTX460 1 8800GTSSC
    Windows7 supports it until you play a game then the 2nd monitor loses it's signal.. at least that's what kept happening to me..

7. Pupp3tmast3r

Pupp3tmast3r Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Hmm, well, that's not really a big problem because I don't really play any games on that rig anymore. Just wanted to use it to watch some movies on my TV and try out the new Windows 7 beta. Don't want to lose the XP partition though, made a thread in the Operating Systems part of the forums.... If anyone has any tips on that, just post in that section :) http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=3080332#post3080332

8. Pupp3tmast3r

Pupp3tmast3r Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Well, here's a bump up from the past... Go the rig running under Windows 7 64-bit with the newest Nvidia drivers, but I can't find any SLI options in there... 6800GT's too old to work? :S

9. NightCrawler™

GPU:
    You need to enable it via the nVidia control panel.. so that means installing the drivers from nVidia and not the WDDM drivers from Microsoft..

10. Pupp3tmast3r

Pupp3tmast3r Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Ehm, that's what I said, I installed the latest Nvidia drivers but the option is not available in Windows 7. SLI worked fine in Windows Xp though, what's that?

11. Pupp3tmast3r

Pupp3tmast3r Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
  12. NightCrawler™

GPU:
    Your cards are on the supported list so that shouldn't be an issue.. the cards are seated properly..?

13. Pupp3tmast3r

Pupp3tmast3r Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Yep, they worked fine in XP, but in 7 there's just no option listed... It's weird, maybe I should try taking them out again?

Edit: Well, I'm stupid I guess... I didn't think of installing any Nforce chipset drivers on the rig, because everything seemed to work right out of the box in Windows 7. I can't find any Nforce drivers for the Nforce 4 chipset (A8N-SLI motherboard), they don't seem to make them anymore. Guess I'll have to say goodbye to SLI?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
  14. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
  15. NightCrawler™

GPU:
    My previous mobo was a DFI SLi-DR.. it installed the drivers just fine..
    I'm not sure anymore if they installed straight from the setup or after a Windows update though..

16. Pupp3tmast3r

Pupp3tmast3r Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    I will try that then. It's the only thing I can think of, the Nvidia display drivers are installed properly but I can't get SLI to work. Thanks, will let you guys know how it worked out :)

17. Pupp3tmast3r

Pupp3tmast3r Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Well, it didn't work at all... Not sure what I should do now, it should be supported :S

18. king-dubs

king-dubs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE
    It's quite possible that NVIDIA did not add multi-display support for NV40 SLI. "Legacy product"

I think I remember seeing somewhere that NVIDIA mentioned in the driver release notes that only GeForce 8, 9, GTX 200 cards support Dual-monitor SLI.

#EDIT:
    Yep, I was right, Look:
    Source: NVIDIA SLI ZONE

Last edited: Jun 13, 2009
  19. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Good catch, king-dubs! :)

20. Pupp3tmast3r

Pupp3tmast3r Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Thanks for that info king-dubs :) Can't get SLI to work on that rig though... I thought it would work on Windows 7, but it won't...