XP32 and XP64 patchscript for FireGL and FirePRO (driver 8.44 and higher)

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by gellmar, Oct 3, 2008.

1. kilema

kilema Master Guru

GPU:
    3870x2 @ V7700-XP64-8.633
    it doesn't work. It would install the driver the first time but then after i restart xp64, it will restart by itself before getting into windows.

2. Samiam

Samiam Member Guru

GPU:
    4G DDR2
    I just tried the Gellmar's current x64 patchscript and it crashed my system running a 3870 @ FGL 7700.

Anything ideas what went wrong? Seems Gellmar's x64 patchscript doesn't work..... where did Schoko go? I'm using Schoko's x64 patchscript for 8.45.3.1.6 which seems pretty stable, though that version of ATI drivers has issues with Maya. :bang:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2009
  3. snuggles0220

snuggles0220 Guest

GPU:
    -
    I did manage to get the new clean xp install to boot up with the new drivers, but there is no gain in performance over the radeon drivers.

Maya SVP10
    8.45.xxxx(I can't remeber) = ~235
    8.603 = 41.1

So for now it back to the old drivers. I'm sure it will work in time, keep up the good work!

4. gellmar

gellmar Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD3850 1024MB
    BSODs... nasty but predictable

2 all:

If your computer crashes, make sure the minidump is created, then post a link on the latest crash dump you got after a BSOD. This may help me to understand the reason of an error, and obviously help you to get better scripts!

Regards, gellmaR

@Samiam: Schoko has gone, but I stay...:rpg:

Last edited: Jun 4, 2009

5. NormanBates

NormanBates Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD3870 / ATI HD4670
    a friend tried wesley8's patched drivers on his 4870x2, and preformance has improved, but not as much as it should: specviewperf 10 maya score = 123

gellmar's original x32 script for 8.603 is working perfectly for my 4670; i see the new one adds a couple more things, I'll try it and report back

I'll try to test the secondary monitor over the weekend

Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  6. Samiam

Samiam Member Guru

GPU:
    4G DDR2
    That's encouraging, please post the results. :)

Also, was anyone able to run Wesley8's x64 drivers, for any card? It seems unclear from the posts...

7. Samiam

Samiam Member Guru

GPU:
    4G DDR2
    Gellmar,

Unfortunately, there is no dump so it's not going to be possible to help debug. All I can tell you is there was a hard crash early in boot, and a hard reboot. That's also dangerous for disk corruption. My RAID ran a full error check after last crash.

Are you running WinXPx64 or have access to it? I think that might help a lot to test the script, and is probably the only way.

I totally appreciate you trying to hack the drivers! Can't wait till we can actually run drivers higher than 8.453, and in WinXP x64!

8. Milchreis

Milchreis Member

i´ve been able to extensively test the XP64 driver from wesley8 with my HD4870 1GB. On my first attempt, it failed, because the unpatched file "ati2mtag.sy_" was still in the folder. Once deleted, i´ve re-cabbed the patched file like this:

makecab ati2mtag.sys

... then i´ve removed "ati2mtag.sys" and "ati2mtag.old" from the driver folder, leaving only the recabbed and patched "ati2mtag.sy_" and where able to install the drivers using "have disk" method described by NormanBates. (btw. tx Norman for this clear step by step guide). It`s been required for me to put the install folders somewhere under C:\ because the installer didn`t like long paths. I´ve rebooted after driver installation, then installed CCC.

SpecViewperf10, 1280x1024 pixels, with Radeon Catalyst 9.4 for comparison:

3dsmax-04 21.40
    catia-02 18.83
    ensight-03 32.37
    maya-02 38.23
    proe-04 13.81
    sw-01 29.43
    tcvis-01 7.97
    ugnx-01 57.16

wesley8 drivers for XP64, same system HD4870@V8700:

3dsmax-04 49.83
    catia-02 46.22
    ensight-03 54.55
    maya-02 253.40
    proe-04 39.74
    sw-01 83.58
    tcvis-01 36.49
    ugnx-01 58.71

Overall this looks like a nice working softmod (!) and the performance is there according to Spec. But the real world showed some new drawbacks in comparison to the radeon drivers:

I´ve tested with Rhino4 and found that there is not too much performance gain in regular shade mode. Got some display artefacts where all geometry was looking like all lines where drawn to a single point. Like a rumpled set of line geometry. Once i´ve zoomed a litle bit in and out it`s been gone for the moment. I've seen redraw fails on other viewports if the main viewport is restored from maximized state. There is a noticable speed increase in Rhino when only shaded mode is used without wireframe drawing. Textures made heavy problems. Eg. loading a texture took very long and display was equal or slower than with radeon drivers. Very large textures where displayed in bw or just wrong and stretched, same texture problem as with the radeon drivers.

CCC (included in wesley`s dl) had some hickups once i´ve installed it, it showed a message that it cannot open in basic mode and advanced did do nothing. I´ve used Windows Installer Cleanup Utillity to sort this out and then it worked after a full uninstall/reinstall roundtrip. I had to uninstall in save mode to get it working. Ugly thing with CCC is that Overdrive tab is missing and the workstation tab doesn`t offer anything usable or new options.

Thank you again wesley8 for the driver. I will next check out gellmars set for XP64 to see if there is a difference

Finally, i´ve compared my results with the values in the link below and asked myself if i would pay 160$ for a nicely cooled HD4870@V8700 or 3099$ for a Quadro FX5800.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_11761.html

:wanker:

Milchreis

9. Samiam

Samiam Member Guru

GPU:
    4G DDR2
    So far so good!
    It doesn't sound usable. Those mesh errors and texture problems are really bad. If SpecViewPerf ran OK, maybe it's just Rhino. Have you tried Maya, XSI, Mudbox, ZBrush, Modo or such?

Also might want to make sure you're not OC'ing as professional apps seem more sensitive.

If you run Maya, please look if overlays are enabled. Is the time slider is dithered and red lined, or not. Many applications are CPU limited most of the time, so running the latest and most compatible drivers is usually more important than GPU speed outright.

huh. Did you try installing CCC directly from the CCC folder? I've found that works better than using the root\setup.exe installation. Do you have any OGL options like force 24-bit Z and such?

Would be good to know if anyone gets that working.

As you point out paying $3K for $100 hardware is ridiculous. Just for the driver support, $2000+ per customer? No way.

10. NormanBates

NormanBates Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD3870 / ATI HD4670
    I still haven't tested it myself, but my friend with the modded 4870x2 says he's had no secondary-monitor corruption, and he opens and closes maya quite a few times over a typical day

11. Milchreis

Milchreis Member

Rhino4 is known to not work nice with ATI. My test has been performed to find out if the pro series cards of ATI are any better in terms of performance and quality with this particular application and this softmod. This is not the case. I´ve done this on a clean test OS with Xeon Quadcore 3Ghz, same as NVidia did with the FX5800 4GB. No overclock.

About Maya or the other software i cannot say anything because i don`t have it. I hope the user Pete3D will chime in, he used this driver with Maya.

Milchreis

12. CADCAT

CADCAT Guest

GPU:
    Mobility HD5870 1GB GDDR5
    @Milchreis

tried the way you posted, but my Screen turns black, a while after the Windows XP boot logo appears.. I only added the HD3870 device ID since I have no 4xxx card..

Will try gellmars script as well..

13. Milchreis

Milchreis Member

I´m not an expert with this but i guess you need to add your device ID into two places. First is in "CX_71427.INI" and then in "CX_71427.inf" in the XP_Inf folder. I´m not shure with this. What is the ID of your card ?

14. CADCAT

CADCAT Guest

GPU:
    ID is 9501 and it is MSI HD3870 OC.. Added device id also to the ini file, uninstalled driver, did reboot and while install the driver (have disk) screen turns black..

With the older drivers I changed the dev id only in the inf and it works..

Don't know why it works with 4870 but not with 3870 :puke2:

15. Milchreis

Milchreis Member

@CADCAT: I think wesley8 stated in this post #147 that his driver mod is for HD4870 and HD4850 only, so this might be the issue. When i installed it, i didn`t change any device id for my 4870 because it`s allready present, i´ve only removed the unpatched files from the "B_70572" folder and recabbed the patched sys file.

You said you uninstalled and rebooted. Don`t to it like that. Boot into save mode, then uninstall all available AtI entries from the software control panel. Before you reboot, run the catalyst uninstaller (start it manually) and next remove all files under C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies.

Reboot and start again in save mode. See which files are still there and remove them manually. Then run Windows Installer cleanup utility and remove all ATI related files it finds. Clear your temp dir if needed, reboot and install using have disk. I´ve did it twice like this when CCC didn`t want to open.

Milchreis

16. gellmar

gellmar Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD3850 1024MB
    CADCAT, don't use wesley8's driver for 48xx series with your 3870! In wesley's drivers the V8700 ID is hardcoded. Try my script instead. And, don't forget to set the crash dump generation option at BSOD!

Regards,
    gellmaR

17. CADCAT

CADCAT Guest

GPU:
    OK tested your script and got a catia score of 22.30 which should be something like 50, but it was working without bsod.. Also while specview test the fan normally turns high, but here it doesn't..

hope you can fix that :)

18. Samiam

Samiam Member Guru

GPU:
    4G DDR2
    So it seems to work somewhat, just has some problems still.

Was that a 3870 or 4870? Your profile says a 4870, but your post above says you're testing a 3870...

Did you test XP32 or XP64?

19. CADCAT

CADCAT Guest

GPU:
    On my home workstation I have HD3870 and XP64.. Updated my profile..

20. Samiam

Samiam Member Guru

GPU:
    4G DDR2
    Huh. Well at least it's not crashing which is promising. Wonder how you got it working. Does Maya run well with the new drivers?