Sapphire 4870X2 no second adapter

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by BitStream, Jun 5, 2009.

1. BitStream

BitStream Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 X2
    I've just completed my new build, an Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo, i7 920 D0 CPU and a Sapphire HD 4870X2 GPU. I have installed an XSPC Full Cover CGA water block and the GPU idles at around 32-35 degrees. Nice and cool. However this morning I formatted my drive and reinstalled Vista x64 with slipstreamed SP1 from scratch. I downloaded and installed CCC 9.5 after installing the motherboard drivers but CCC only shows a primary adapter for the 4870X2. No disabled or linked adapter. In Vista device properties there's only one entry for a single 4780X2. I've uninstalled the ATI software, cleaned the registry and reinstalled but to no avail. Any ideas what the problem might be?

Cheers

BitStream

Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
  2. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Is Catalyst AI enabled? If not it will only show one adaptor I believe.

Does GPUZ show 2 adaptors?

3. BitStream

BitStream Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 X2
    Yes it is and I've tried both extreme settings of standard and advanced. GPU-Z 0.3.4 only shows one adapter.

4. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=274593

On this thread a reinstall of Windows solved the issue but that is a little extreme!

You could try uninstalling in Device Manager I suppose and let Windows find it and reinstall to see if that works!

5. BitStream

BitStream Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 X2
    I was hoping not to as I did a clean install this morning. :( Time to take a backup and try again. Although this is a fast card, I'm really falling out of love with it sadly.

6. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Yo Bitstream I live in Worksop, just down the road lol! Just noticed your in 'Dony'.

I would try removing in Device Manager and see what happens when your OS finds it again!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2009
  7. BitStream

BitStream Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 X2
    Yup, sunny Dony but there's a cloud over here at the moment :thumbdown Just taking a backup and then doing a reinstall.

8. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Try Device Manager first!:)

9. BitStream

BitStream Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 X2
    Tried that, nowt :(

10. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Bugger! I was hoping that would sort it! I'm stumped soz.:3eyes:

11. BitStream

BitStream Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 X2
    Did a reinstall and it still didn't work. :( Not liking the look of this. Can one half of a 4870X2 break yet the other carries on?

12. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    It should be showing as a linked adaptor in Vista!!! Have you tried AMD/ATI Tech Support? Can't hurt!

13. BitStream

BitStream Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 X2
    Not yet, next step. Cheers mate.

14. Outrance

Outrance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD6950 950Mhz/1350Mhz
    I don't know much about CF but have you checked your BIOS? I know in mine it has to be enabled ( I don't have CF but I have an ASUS)....

Go through the bios and check everything. Also make sure it's getting enough juice. Maybe it's disabled for a reason.

Doesn't seem like a problem with the card or I don't think it would work at all.

Is it possible to test in another computer?

15. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Not sure about the ASUS board the OP has but when I was running a 4870X2 on my Gigabyte boards I never had to adjust anything in the Bios! I wouldn't have thought the problem was there tbh!

He's got the same PSU as me! lol I wouldn't have thought 'enough juice' would be a problem:D

16. BitStream

BitStream Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 X2
    My motherboard is an Asus P6T Deluxe V2 with bios 504 (the latest). The card isn't crossfire so there's nothing to set in the bios. A 4870X2 is a dual GPU card which is treated as a single GPU card as far as the bios is concerned. I've tested it in my seconds PC and it looks as if it's fubared somehow. Time to RMA it I think.

17. Outrance

Outrance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD6950 950Mhz/1350Mhz
    I meant cables :)

Told you I didn't know much :stewpid:

18. Arez80

Arez80 Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4870x2
    Hi bitStream:)

i am having the same problem and i do starting to get short on hair on my head from all the pulling.. :(
    have tryed to reinstall..
    tryed to install 9.2 & 9.3 & 9.5 & 9.6 + the driver that followed with the card..
    Still no luck..
    Have you got it to work?

19. BitStream

BitStream Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 X2
    No mate I didn't. I tried it in another PC and it wouldn't work in that either. Rebuilt the original one and still no joy. Eventually I put a spare card in the PC and RMA'd the x2.

20. rakesh27

rakesh27 Member Guru

GPU:
    VTX Radeon HD 7990
    Dude,

IVe done a recent reinstall of vista64 a few times now, ive just got it perfect for my liking.

Ok this is what you do.

1) Reinstall vista64 (just vista, no updates no SP1 or SP2) - remember format hdd that vista will be installed on

2) Once vista64 installed then update your chipset drivers (remember to choose custom setup and make sure if you see ati driver install deselect it) and install network card drivers

3) now install your CAT drivers again choose custom and make sure you get everything cat + drivers

4) now install sound card drivers

5) do the rest of the remaining drivers

6) Once your happy no more outstanding drivers do windows updates and install all of them, check each one incase you dont need any upgraded drivers since you should already have them installed before.

7) Do all updates in order that are offered to you, when you get SP1 install that, then some more updates then comes SP2 install that

8) you will have only have few more updates, once vista64 upto date should have SP2 installed with all Updates, you should be done.

9) All you got to do at the end is run driver cleaner get rid of any remaining files and make a restore point

10) Hopefully you should have a upto date vista64 running sweet and all drivers working perfectly, ill give you one warning when you do upgrade your cat drivers you might get the dredded code43 as one of your GPU is disabled, ive got it, lots of people have got it, for now the only way to fix it is to reinstall vista all over again, start from the beginning with a new driver.

11) just be happy with the driver you have and wait until someone comes up with a solution on how to fix the problem, you should be able to in ccc select show ATI crossfire icon when gaming so you know that both GPU's are working, you will find throught the ATI icon menus, select it and play a game to see if you do see the logo top right of screen.