Is Win 7 going to be free if you already have Vista?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Jem, May 25, 2009.

1. Jem

Jem Active Member

GPU:
    Leadtek6600GT/ATI9800pro
    I was told by someone that anyone who has purchased Vista can get win 7 for free, because Vista went flop, is that true? I couldn't believe it since I have Vista 64bit on my new laptop as I thought it's a much improvement over XP. I don't understand what the heck people are ranting about except for hardware issues as I've told some of them to get newer components with the right drivers.

Funny part one time; I've tried to help a family with their computer that comes with Vista from Best Buy. They only had a problem with lan device which they couldn't get online. When I learned they misplaced the disc that contains the drivers, I had to come back later when they find it. Before I came back, a brother of the family downgraded from Vista to XP which is worst cuz there were no XP drivers on disc or online for many problem devices in their device manager.

However, I would get another Vista to go with my new desktop pc in future, but since Win 7 is coming out in summer, I probably would get it instead. I'm pretty comfortable with Vista on my new laptop so far. If I get a free Win 7 and can I use it on new desktop pc rather than installing it over Vista?

2. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    First off Vista didn't go "flop", secondly.. no it won't be free. Depending on when you bought the laptop with Vista installed you may get the upgrade at a discount.

Also Windows 7 is not due out in the summer. It's more than likely going to hit RTM in August or September and be available for retail somewhere around October/November.

3. Jem

Jem Active Member

GPU:
    Leadtek6600GT/ATI9800pro
    Alrite, thanks for the clarify.

4. live4life

live4life Banned

GPU:
    Asus EnGTX295
    microsoft=our money ! u better consider that for life

5. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    too bad they dont sell it the price they charge Gov here locally seriously Windows Vista Ultimate 50.00 CND and Office 2007 Ultimate 79.99. I got to see the reciepts from MS for the Gov Organizations damn. I still wished I worked for the Government I never took advantage of those programs

6. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    If it was free I'd take it...

I know I personally will be sticking with Vista. After using Win 7 RC I find performance to be the exact same. I can see Win 7 being more viable for older PC's and of course, New PC's for those who don't already own a mid-high range system with Vista.

I just know that on my system now, I saw no performance difference in Win 7 compared to Vista SP1.

Win 7 has some cool features, but to me personally, they don't justify the possible 400 + USD price tag for a new OS. :)

7. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    lol, yeah, microsoft is going to give away their operating system... which they usually charge hundreds of dollars for, as an act of goodwill, so that over the next few years they can trade profit for love and understanding from their customers.

In other news, there is no racism or sexism in the world, and boeing just announced their new aircraft targeted at the private market, an oversized pig with a shed on its back.

8. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    If you buy it after like june or july you get a free upgrade to win7.

9. Flukester

Flukester Banned

GPU:
    eVga GTX 260 Core216 896M
    What about if you owned Vista 64bit since release but never used it beyond a few hours on each install attempt? LMAO. Guess not..

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    lol..that's a good one.

11. MileHighMilitia

MileHighMilitia Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS HD4850 + TT DuOrb 700/1135
    I think you mean Airbus...

See -> A380