Win 7 X64 only syncs @ 59hz--HDMI useless

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Crabby Guy, May 13, 2009.

1. Crabby Guy

Crabby Guy New Member

I have tried two 9-series Nvidia video cards with my 24-in LG monitor. I have also tried the latest Win 7 X64 driver (WHQL) from Nvidia plus the one that RC (build 7100) initially installed. Resetting to 60hz does not hold and the driver falls back to 59hz whether in VGA or HDMI. Screen is not usable in HDMA as it's shifted about 1/3 to the left. LG only says "it's the wrong driver." Many postings about this problem, especially with larger monitors and LG seems the worst.

Three questions:

1. Is there a fix?

2. Shall I just keep the monitor on VGA and live with it in the hope that the driver is improved?

3. Who to complain to?

2. Quitoman

Quitoman New Member

GPU:
    8800GT SLI
    As for the 59Hz thing, it does switch to 60Hz it just highlights the first refresh rate in your list after it switches. Check your monitor's resolution info in it's menu and it should say "res @ 60Hz"

Have you had any trouble with mouse lag in fullscreen games? if I switch to windowed mode, its fine but only the mouse cursor lags in fullscreen games...

3. unpluged-PT

unpluged-PT Member

GPU:
    XFX 9800 gx2
    Hey ,

I have exactly teh same issue than you .... super anoying !!!!! :biggun: here are my specs :

Windows 7 Rc 71000 - fresh install !
    Win 7 X64 driver (WHQL) !
    XFX 9800 GX2 !
    Monitor : HP 2408h ( connected by HDMI cable )

i searched everywhere ... didn' found any solution for this , what give me some problems in games like pes 2009 doesn't let me activate Vsyc , because of the 59 hertz that im stucked !! , COD 4 and 5 ... etc

4. Crabby Guy

Crabby Guy New Member

Monitor size an issue

I have seen postings stating that the size of the monitor is the key issue and that larger monitors have the problem. I haven't had an issue on another machine with X32 of Win 7 RC, 2GB, and a 17" monitor.

There is a degradation of image using VGA @59 hz. I'm a still photographer, cannot handle the loss of quality, and need a 64-bit OS for Photoshop, etc. (8GB of RAM on my mobo). I'm thinking that this is a driver and/or OS problem that needs to be gotten to attention of the right people.

5. Helpful

Helpful Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    It seems to be a hardware problem, as I have seen it mentioned in Nv Release Notes
    over the past year or so:(

6. SnooSnoo

SnooSnoo Guest

GPU:
    Intel HD510
    I noticed this 59Hz thing too when I installed w7 x64 on the htpc to the left. Altho its an amd based pc, it also put the refresh rate to 59Hz. I was able to put it to 60 tho. Wierd number, dunno where that comes from. (the htpc drives a 37" 1080p lcd)

7. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Seen the 59hz thing back in Vista, always had the choice of 60hz though. Havent had this issue in Win7.

8. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    Same issue since today i got samsung t260.
    wich has it asswell even from windows control panel refresh rates defaults back to 59hz.
    previous samsung 226bw has't this issue.
    anyone found way to basicly force it to 60hz and stay at it ?.
    altough mine is attached trough dvi

edit: i think i found way to fix it.

either custom res added with 60 hz or something with rivatuner fixed it.
    least i cant set 59hz anymore wich is non existant

edit: i can still select 59 hz from windows cp but 60hz is selected by default in nvidia cp only 60hz is avaible.

edit 2 : seems after reboot its lost and aint true 60 hz if do dxdiag and say's 59hz still -,-

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  9. Crabby Guy

Crabby Guy New Member

I have useful information on the way to a fix, I think

The problem is that the Nvidia drivers don't create a registry entry that causes the display to advertise itself as a monitor. Because of this, the monitor (all those with HDMI connections, i.e., a DVI-HDMI cable, which is apparently only large monitors) is perceived as an HDTV by the driver. I don't know why 59 Hz. is involved. This problem has been around since XP X64, apparently. I have had a half-dozen exchanges with Nvidia help and they have not been willing to admit that their driver has a shortcoming. Finally, they said the problem is with the monitor and to tell LG about it, even though my PC works fine with another LG monitor that has a DVI connection on it (and a DVI-DVI cable).

There is a registry edit fix suggested here http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1034107743
    for my LG246WP, but I cannot get it to work. My problem is that creating a Binary Value in RegEdit (in Windows 7 X64) only seems to create four zeros as a value and does not allow the string suggested to be entered. I know almost nothing about RegEdit, let alone in 64-bit Windows. Can someone please help me understand what I'm doing wrong?

10. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    you could use refreshlock (?), it locks the refresh rate to the value select, and doesnt allow anything to change it.

But well, if its a OS/driver problem maybe it wont be able to "lock" it, or pc may crash xD!.

11. krisby

krisby Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    Is it only on LG monitors? Wouldn't be surprised, I've totally gone off LG products. Our LG Home Theatre died after only 1 year, my LG Super Multi DVD drive won't read Far Cry 2, my new LG phone battery is awful and the bluetooth is rubbish, and our 6 month old LG dishwasher is useless, even on 70C it can't clean dishes, so basically is just a dishrinser, not a dishwasher.

Sorry to be off topic, I just hate LG.

12. Bornakiller

Bornakiller Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SLI
    Same problem here running on Acer G24 DVI :puke2:

When i apply 60hz mode it goes back to 59hz :puke2:

13. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    do others have same shivering corruption issues asswell?.

14. ZeroOne

ZeroOne Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS ENGTX275 869MB DDR 3

I have a LG TV set with the 16 : 10 mode an it's running @60HZ. on TV and on my iiyama 24 inch monitor, it's also an 16:10 monitor

When i set the TV mode on 16:9 i have 59 HZ also on the Monitor.

NVidia 9800 GT Vid.Card

Last edited: May 27, 2009
  15. abrasive

abrasive Member

GPU:
    Gainward 8800 GT 512 MB
    I have a somewhat different issue. I've got a Samsung 2494HM (24"). When I connect it with HDMI the screen gets oversized (desktop doesn't fit to screen). The picture is a bit fussy which is especially noticeable on text. When I use the CP from forceware to adjust the screen size the picture gets even more fussy and gamma goes way high. When I'm connecting with DVI there's no problem at all.

When I searched for this problem I found a post at Nvidias forum about applying some fix, but it's outdated. I think it's already included in newer drivers. Either way it doesn't work

I've got a 8800GT, 185.85 drivers and Windows 7 x64 RC.

16. Scalarscience

Scalarscience Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX580 Classifie
    59hz is because NTSC standard (for interleaved scanlines) is 29.97 fps (interleaved means only 1/2 the frame). This was for 'SD' analog, so progressive runs at 29.97*2 or which is approximated by the 59hz value. Ie, that's just a representation and not the 'true' rate. 60hz lcd's will go into interpolation mode though, which causes at least 1 frame of lag and possibly other degredation (maybe also including non-native resolutions since your computer is 'assuming' that it's an NTSC monitor with non-square pixel output).