How to keep a card cool?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Law, May 24, 2009.

1. Law

Law Active Member

GPU:
    GTX560 Ti DirectCUII
    Hey Folks,

I am having trouble keeping my GPU cool atm, it runs at about 75'C with my window open (to keep room cool), the side of my case open and the GPU fan diled up to 80% (base setting is 40%). If it gets to about 85'C it crashes my pc causes screen wide artifacts :( Is this a function of a faulty card or what? I haven't really encountered a card heating up so much before.

Law.

2. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    evga precision tool? what case do u have?

cleaned out dust?

which driver u running and did u do a fresh install using driver sweeper?

mo

3. Grifty

Grifty Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD 6870 1GB
    how good is the cable management in the case? maybe try to make it better and add and extra 80mm or 120mm fan blowing directly onto the card

4. tuco

tuco Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 460's
    You live in the UK, having to open your case and put the fan @ 80% infers something very wrong here. Can you post a picture of your pc?

5. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    I have an Antec 900 with an added 120mm on the side and my card never exceeds 60 degrees C on full load (260 Black Edition). I keep my fan at Auto so im not sure at what percentage it spins at. I have no heating issues at all, even with my 3.6GHZ CPU. Id checkthe fan on the card is spinning correctly, or not full of dust. If its still getting high, I personally would consider an RMA.

6. live4life

live4life Banned

GPU:
    Asus EnGTX295
    uper the rate of fan,or change ur case or the all of the stock cooler of ut vga

7. RKOver

RKOver Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 @ 900MHz
    Prevent dust getting inside your PC as much as possible by using an air can or using something more powerful (I use my dads air compressor that pushes really heavy air and can clean my TJ07 in no time. Also, watercooling?

Als turn up your fan speed. I have my first 4890 at 40% (I turn it up to 60% in games) and my second card is always 25% because it runs at only under 40c idle, never really breaks 45c in gaming.

8. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    Epic name.

Law.

9. Law

Law Active Member

GPU:
    GTX560 Ti DirectCUII
    Thanks for the advice and the kudos for name choice :)

I can take a pic, will borrow my house mates camera, I'd say the cable management is very good, the pc was built by Scan and they put in all sorts of things to keep the cables tucked out the way and bunched up together. I think the case is pretty good http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Cool...k-Midi-Tower-Case-with-Mesh-Top-Panel-w-o-PSU , it is very porous allowing good air flow, the fan on my gfx card is pointing downwards so shouldn't be choked with dust (but I'll have a good check).

As to what tools I have used to monitor the temps and speeds I have used EVGA Precision and Speedfan, my mobo clocks mid 30'C and my CPU about 40-45'C (I have a big copper Zalman on the CPU).

I have gotten my hands on a side fan for my case and am about to plug it in and see if it helps, the pc is still only 7 months old btw.

Cheers,

Law.

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    That's a good case. Shouldn't have any problems with airflow. 1 Thing I tend to recommend. Keep the side cover on the computer unless you have a small desk fan blowing into the case from the side. Have heard that the GTX260 runs a bit warm, but 85C shouldn't cause any issues. I hope the GTX260 doesn't use the same cooler as the GTS250 does...it's a rather crappy looking cooler honestly. After you make sure the GPU cooler is clear of dust and the fan is functioning...only IF you're still having issues with heat...you could (if comfortable doing so) remove your GPU cooler, clean up all the factory TIM and apply some new TIM. In some cases, there was not an adequate amount of TIM applied at the factory, or the TIM is simply low quality resulting in temp increases later. I personally recommend Arctic Silver Ceramique....it dropped the temp of my, now deceased, hd4850 by 10C with the reference cooler.

11. Law

Law Active Member

GPU:
    GTX560 Ti DirectCUII
    As to drivers I did the whole, uninstal, safe mode, drive sweeper, re-instal. Found out the 185's don't like me cos they don't put nvidia control panel in so went with the 182's.

I know roughly what you're on about Sykozis, never heard of TIM before but I assume its something that transmits heat to a cooling block and that Arctic Silver Ceramic is better :) There is some dust about the gpu fan but it doesn't seem like a huge amount, however I'll go into town and look for something to clear it out, anyone got any suggestions? I heard you can get cans that blow out air, I know my vacuum isn't powerful enough to pull the dust off the fans!!

I found out that having my fan speed on auto, my gfx card doesn't dial up the fan speed as it heats up :( I put my side fan on which pulls out air from around the gfx card and this has further improved things. Think that might nail it, I'll keep an eye on temps to see if they continue to spiral out of control though.

Cheers,

Law.

edit - Well Dead Spave might play at about 55'C but Demigod still plays at about 80'C, which is odd, why would one play so much higher? Might underclock my card and see if that does anything.

Last edited: May 24, 2009
  12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Sorry, TIM is shorthand for "Thermal Intermediate Material"...lol, or thermal compound. Arctic Silver Ceramique works better than anything else at high temps. Silver based thermal compound loses effectiveness at high temps because it can't transfer the heat fast enough. Silicone thermal compound just sucks in general....and it's also what MOST manufacturers use when mounting heatsinks.

13. GTS

GTS Member

GPU:
    8800GTS G92
    add aditional fan or thermaltake PCI fan aircon under bottom your vga card it's may help U.

14. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Make sure the side fan is no less than 120mm. Position it so air is blowing under the card. I did that and it brought my GPU temps down about 7 or 8c. If there are any pci cards near the GPU, move them down to allow for enough space.

15. Law

Law Active Member

GPU:
    GTX560 Ti DirectCUII
    My fan atm is built to suck air out from around the gfx card. I guess I could mess about and reverse it, assuming it is built to be reversible. Not sure of its dimensions though.

Law.