Computer Locking Up & Monitor Shutting Off With 185.XX Series

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Bob00100, May 20, 2009.

1. Bob00100

Bob00100 Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800 GTS 640MB SLI
    Whenever i play Team Fortress 2 with the 185 series drivers (haven't really tested any other games) my computer freezes after anywhere from 5-30 minutes of playing. The monitor just goes into power saving mode and I am forced to restart it. I am currently using the 182.48 series drivers but would like to use the 185 series for the AO.

I am running Windows 7 Build 7100 (RC1)
    Any help would be nice :3

2. Airwalk

Airwalk Member

GPU:
    8800 GT 512
    Wow... i have the exact same problem....... I have2 8800 GTS 512. I had them SLI'ed but it completely within 5 minutes of windows loading give me that error. If I just have one video card in it seems to work a lot better then having 2 cards in.. But i still get the error. Sometimes i get a blue screen saying "Display Driver nvlddmkm stopped responding, has successfully recovered"

I'm thinking it is a power issue so i ordered a new power supply and it is on his way.

:bang:

3. Bob00100

Bob00100 Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800 GTS 640MB SLI
    Yea it only happens to me when I'm in SLI also, I've come to think that it may be an overheating problem because when i pump the fans up on both of my cards to 100% it works fine (although is loud as f*ck).

4. Airwalk

Airwalk Member

GPU:
    8800 GT 512
    So the new drivers are over heating the cards? I have my case side open and still having the problem.

5. jimbobjames

jimbobjames Active Member

GPU:
    2 x 8800GTS 640Mb
    Same issue here - 8800GTS 640mb in SLI.

Although I'm mainly experiencing it playing video in WMP or VLC....

EDIT - it also reverses the DVI outputs - I have to edit them using the windows multi monitor thing...

Last edited: May 21, 2009
  6. khrl06

khrl06 Guest

I got the same problem before...

now use side's 185.81 driver, no problem at all.

7. Bob00100

Bob00100 Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800 GTS 640MB SLI
    I'll give this a shot and report how it turns out...

8. Airwalk

Airwalk Member

GPU:
    8800 GT 512
    I'll give that a try as well.

:3eyes:

9. Bob00100

Bob00100 Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800 GTS 640MB SLI
    Actually i just noticed there is no x64 version of side's drivers so I can't really use them to see if it fixes it :X

10. Airwalk

Airwalk Member

GPU:
    8800 GT 512
    My new Power supply should be here the 26th. After i get that installed i'll let you know if I still have the problem.

:nerd:

11. Acidrain

Acidrain New Member

GPU:
    Nividia / 8600GT / 256mb
    Hello all,

Iam having the same issue, nvlddmkm stopped responding. I did all the memory check, overheating, Bios. So the last thing i checked was my power supply, all Nivida cards require 12v+/22A or above. I got an new one and iam still having problems. Iam so at a lose on what to do.

12. Airwalk

Airwalk Member

GPU:
    8800 GT 512
    Are you running SLI or a single card?

13. Airwalk

Airwalk Member

GPU:
    8800 GT 512
    I'm going to try windows 7 7127, and see if that does anything....:bang:

14. Acidrain

Acidrain New Member

GPU:
    Nividia / 8600GT / 256mb
    Single card, iam tired of this troubleshooting. Ive done everything Nivida and EVGA told me, even changing and upgrading my PS and still it happens. Ive checked my memory, no problems at all. Ive even gone as far as taking out 1g at a time and trying it and still happens. Iam so fed up, i cant play nothing.

15. Airwalk

Airwalk Member

GPU:
    8800 GT 512
    All know what you mean. We are all having the same problem. I have a feeling it is drivers issue.
    :nerd:

16. Acidrain

Acidrain New Member

GPU:
    Nividia / 8600GT / 256mb
    While i share you opinion, iam leaning towards it being an Vista issue. The reason i say that is during my research into all this i have found that ATI cards are having the same issues.

17. Airwalk

Airwalk Member

GPU:
    8800 GT 512
    That could be it. From my understand windows 7 is based off Vista.

18. Airwalk

Airwalk Member

GPU:
    8800 GT 512
    I tried 182.46 and still locking up with two video cards in my system.

I can run just one video card. I simply don't understand what happened.....

19. Acidrain

Acidrain New Member

GPU:
    Nividia / 8600GT / 256mb
    Who knows, you know that there is an website dedicated toward this problem as well. http://www.nvlddmkm.com/ there is even an class action suit if iam not mistaken. IMO, if i could use another operating system i would Microsoft is pathetic, they need to get off there arse and build an new operating system from the ground instead of building on top of everything they have ever built. Iam so fed up, i dont know what to do.

20. TeX_UK

TeX_UK Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FE
    I had the same problem & what I found after my GX2 died & got my RMA back & suffered the exact same problem was that the GX2 was fried bacause the last 2 offical whql drivers at least were only using "direct control" for the cards fan.The fan spun at 45% no matter how hot they got eventually frying my first GX2.So get yourself Rivatuner & everytime you boot your PC set the fan control to "auto control" as applying does'nt hold it goes back into "direct control".I've tried a few different drivers with the same outcome including my current 182.50.I've had no more problems since I started setting the fan controller to "auto control" after booting up the PC,in my opinion Nvidia need shafting for this....

Last edited: May 25, 2009