4870 X2 Owners Club

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Stukov, Aug 13, 2008.

1. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    Yes,
    It is just anti-freeze and distilled water combo, still had bubbles in picture. Built for speed/scores nothing more.

2. Lutfi

Lutfi Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH4870X2 Trifan
    oo.. that is such a messy arrangement.. better to be change.. cause my mom hate messy things.. hehehe.. but, looks cool enough for me.. way to go jaggerwild.. (that EK waterblock can't fit on to trifan card by the way..)

but it is ok.. i'll just go on with very slow pace project on this one.. :D

3. TAViX

TAViX Member

GPU:
    MSI ATI HD 4870 X2
    Damn bro. You just split open the guts of you PC! Desgusting!!!!

4. softcris

softcris Active Member

GPU:
    XFX-HD 4870 X2 2GB DDR5
    Hi guys, can I girl get into the club?
    Joking!!!
    Just got it yesterday. Had a SLI of MSI GTS 8800 512MB each.
    Now, I ask:
    HD 4780 X2 HOW TO INSERT THE CARD

Any of you - do have a TUTORIAL for putting this hardware?
    I did it yesterday night. ll looks exactly as seems to be.
    Since I myself did installation for the two SLI MSI I got in here I supposed I did it right now.
    Only this one looks way bigger and that stuff with 8 pins...
    Again the card is correctly seated.
    The card is connected to the 8 pins from my 8 pins on the PSU (1000watts)
    FIRST SLOT of PCI-Ex 16. so it's in the first one from bottom up. (Got 3Way SLI mobo)
    What is wrong?
    The system pips PIPS! PIPS! PIPS!.
    Does NOT starts! Obvious I won't force it!
    Running XP 64 bits, 8 GB DDR2-
    Never did that before!
    Was running perfect with my SLI before.
    thanks to show/download the precise image by image steps for inserting the beast..
    The one that comes with it, is NOT FOR it.
    ITS a GENERAL tutor.
    I need to see something done with THAT VERY ONE:HD 4780 X2.
    Please anyone could be extra nice to a lady?
    Thanks
    CG

5. Fri4rTuck

Fri4rTuck Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 580GTX Twin Frozr II
    Are you sure slot 1 is first from the bottom? That is the exactly opposite of any board I've owned. Double check that you are inserting the card in the PCIe x16 #1.

6. softcris

softcris Active Member

GPU:
    XFX-HD 4870 X2 2GB DDR5
    you're right, I had just changed ..was RTFM...the mobo has it up to bottom the first
    still pips

7. BitStream

BitStream Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 X2
    Wow I must admit, my new rig with an overclocked HD 4870X2 is simply sublime for gaming. i7 920 D0 stepping at 4ghz and 12gb ram and this thing flies. No stuttering, no problems at all with CAT 9.6. Shame I had to RMA my original HD 4870X2 :(

8. IM0001

IM0001 Guest

GPU:
    PNY 780 GTX
    Yep All those old games run under Vista 64 just fine. They may not have all the options you once were used to (NFS doesn't like to play in as high of res as it once did in NFS3 and such) But all the other games work fine.

9. Initialised

Initialised Member

GPU:
    PSC 7970 3GB
    Application for the 4870x2 Appreciation Society

I've been working on a few Quad Crossfire systems lately. I upgraded the driver from 9.5 to 9.6 and gained 600 points in 3DMark06 (1280x1024, 8xAA, 16xAF, Force Full Precision, ~27k) in a system with i7 975 @ 4GHz, 160 FSB, 1600 RAM so I think the 9.6 is a decent package.

My own 4870x2 is a Gainward Rampage700, But I got it for the price of a regular 4870x2 through work. The Cores will only go to 775 (from 750) but the RAM hits 1100 (950 standard, 4400 effective!), Gainward/Palit are so far the only company I know of to break the mould on these cards and fit a decent cooler.

The downside to the triple slot cooler is that unless you have a big case it is very hard to fit the card as I found out when I put it in a Phong2, it's not as long as a 4850x2 though. It's in a Cosmos now but I couldn't fit another one unless I got a dual slot and they don't tend to hit the RAM speeds I'm used to. Maybe I'll add a 4870 1GB when they hit the £100 mark instead.

10. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    U know me always late to the party hahah :banana:

11. ibitato

ibitato Guest

lol welcome to the club

12. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    ^ cheers bro, itz weird tho, I had tried 4890+4870 before but somehow this seems faster, even tho I still have a massive bottleneck in this Phenom 9850, suprising

can't wait till I sort my i7 rig, it should fly, so far 33FPS avg Crysis very high at 1650x1080 and 2xAA, should be better with OCed i7 and maybe an accelero xtreme to cool it, might do this wen I can afford it

13. ibitato

ibitato Guest

here in spain, we say walk no fast but with no pause ........

well, the X2 card it's running on only one PCIe lane; so less traffic :nerd: lol

it's a great card, many ppl with temps problems. I have never had them; but it can get hot really fast ............

Do the following:

1) uninstall all ati sofware
    2) reboot and clean with driver sweeper
    3) install 9.12 WHQL
    4) install 8.70 Beta RC2 on top of those
    5) enjoy ;)

I've been playing many games all weekend, and those drivers are excellent

newer than 10.1 and far less problems than 9.12 or 9.12 HF

14. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    ^ ahh nice, I'll do that wen I rebuild, should be sending my PSU off to Corsair for exchange and will be sellin my current rig to my best friend for cheap (without the X2 ofcourse) so it'll be sitting in a box for a little while lol, just wanted to test and benchmark a lil 2day.

15. dmanna80

dmanna80 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5870
    I have been in the club for a long time well I should have.. I am going to upgrade to the next club though .. 5970 because the 4870x2 cant do eyefinity which sucks.. and i want eyefinity really bad all the sudden.

16. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    lol the upgrade bug has hit ya :D to be fair the 5970 seems to be the only upgrade from a 4870x2 (until Fermi), I'm weird with upgrading tho, I often sidegrade, but I take advantage of good deals have gone HD3650->HD4870->HD4890->GTX275->4870X2

17. rogue221979

rogue221979 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3090 GTX
    If I upgrade it will be to a 5970, I want mulimonitor support but iether way cost me the same. Buy a TH2Go and 3 monitors or by a 5870 and 3 monitors.

I'll enjoy my 4870 x2 a while longer and wait for more monitor support so I dont have to sell my wife and kids to get a display port monitor.

Beside I want to get a Frex motion simulator.

18. PaulvH

PaulvH Member Guru

GPU:
    2x XFX HD5870 H²O-EK CF
    I will have to resign my membership of this club, as I have sold my X2 and replaced it with 2 5870's ... I do keep sweet memories of the card though.

19. Xenotone

Xenotone Guest

GPU:
    780 Ti SLI H2O 1230mhz
    It's a wonderful card. My original battle-hardened Sapphire is still whirring away happily and kicking out lovely smooth frames on any game i can throw at it. I am tempted to get another 4870 for trifire though :)

20. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    anyone know safe max voltage for 4870x2, I wanna do a software voltmod