185.85 and L4D

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by uffa, May 14, 2009.

1. mammaryman

mammaryman Member

GPU:
    XFX GTX 275
    I use Driver Cleaner to uninstall the last bits and pieces left over from the standard uninstall.

Yeah tried the paged pool memory setting too, still no avail. I have a feeling the GTX 275 may be the issue, hopefully the next released driver set will be more appropriate. As I said earlier though it performs very well with GTA 4 where my old HD 4870 struggled.....can't win em all I suppose.

2. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    well dunno there boyo check out this thread i did on the 275 v 295. got some great fps @1920x1200 and temps were great and noise v low.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=294409

try driver sweeper beta next time.

3. mammaryman

mammaryman Member

GPU:
    XFX GTX 275
    Not disputing its speed or power, just that its flakey with the drivers currently released. I will try driver sweeper but I'd eat my hat if it was some leftover remenant of a previous driver causing this issue with L4D and no other game.....especially as it appears to be a known issue.

I'm also running 1920x1200 and agree that it has great performance and at low temps, just not in L4D, which is annoying!!

4. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    well bizarre i had this running fine with the 182.50's.

what overclock u using? i suggest u lower it maybe a tad and see if that improves stability...

and give driver sweeper a go. run it twice to be sure.

Last edited: May 15, 2009

5. KrankFL

KrankFL Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 6850 PE/OC Cyclone
    I had the same thing, also a buddy of mine was reporting some freezing and skipping, hes probably also using these drivers.

6. Hog54

Hog54 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Tuf RTX 3070
    Whos idea was it to use 178 series drivers for this?None of the cards put out this year,including mine are even supported by them.:3eyes:

7. Punisher!|ITA

Punisher!|ITA Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX
    Modded .inf and it will be.

8. mammaryman

mammaryman Member

GPU:
    XFX GTX 275
    I'm at 650/1160 as my card is a pitiful overclocker, have reduced to default to test some more....

9. Punisher!|ITA

Punisher!|ITA Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX
    It's not overclock mate.

10. Phroster

Phroster Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 4080 RTX
    The freezing every once in a while in L4D is only noticed by me on Windows XP.

When I use Vista, the freezing turns into micro stutters.

And when I disable multi core support, the game is "almost" smooth.
    But these micro stutters, still occur sometimes.

Also I tried drivers before the 182.xx, this had no effect at all. :puke2:

11. live4life

live4life Banned

GPU:
    Asus EnGTX295
    play without oc and see if is fixed!

12. Phroster

Phroster Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 4080 RTX
    I have heard that people with Quad cores, have no problems, although people with Dual core, do have problems.

Seems to be performance related.

13. Punisher!|ITA

Punisher!|ITA Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX
    It seems as you are feared about overclock. Everything bad that happens it must be overclock. It is absurd mate. If there is really something bad happened because of overclock an event on Windows Log is shown (seeing that performance level has changed because of an hardware check).

Anyway overclock doesn't cause stutters or little freezes at all, just artifacts and hard freezes (forcing you to reboot your PC).

14. mag_pt

mag_pt Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX580@850mhz
    Im sorry for the noob question, but where I can disable multithreaded rendering?

I hope can help me, my GTX295 have this problems mentioned on topic,
    especially in cod4, freezing in first seconds and then appear be ok for a couple minutes and freeze again :(

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  15. Punisher!|ITA

Punisher!|ITA Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX
    game option.

16. live4life

live4life Banned

GPU:
    Asus EnGTX295
    OC causes problems on games if u dont volt righty and im not affraid to OC as u can on my specs....guys think before post,also drivers cobinition will make this cause nforce 15.25 whql and 185.85 whql casue bsds on manny dudes,.,.,.,.,.and 4 me too....so its more than the OC and more than a simple HD check,m...

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  17. mag_pt

mag_pt Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX580@850mhz
    I dont see this option on cod4 :S, can be activated in nhancer?

18. xdurus

xdurus Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 oc
    I know a guy that what using a pirated non-Steam version of L4D and it would have the Stutter/Freeze problem even after applying the non-Steam update patch.He then installed the official Steam version which automatically updates the game and all issues were resolved.

19. _Rnesto

_Rnesto Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 320MB
    I use a non-steam version of L4D and it used to be fine, but when I change to a 7900GS the game practically turn-lights-out. god, forgot to bring some SS. the game is totally darkened, to barely see I must use 1.6 gamma setting of the game.

I don't like to use the gamme slider on rivatuner 'cuz the game looks awful then. I'm using 185.20 from xfastest. any other game plays well, even others source games I have. do you think its a driver problem?

20. mammaryman

mammaryman Member

GPU:
    XFX GTX 275
    Indeed the overclock makes no difference (plus its a mild o/c anyway). I'm using a Quad core processor and a genuine Steam version of L4D.

To be honest it appears to be flakey driver support and nothing more complicated than that. I'm waiting for 186 to be released in beta and if that doesn't work it's back to ATI for me as this brief foray in the world of Nvidia has been nothing but trouble!!