vista black screen with ati driver

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by floske, Nov 25, 2008.

1. floske

floske Active Member

GPU:
    Strix GTX 9700
    Hi, I'm a bit in trouble over here.
    Switched to Vista just now. As soon as I install any driver (package) for my 4670, my display recives no input after the green moving bar (boot).
    Tried several ati drivers but the problem stays the same.
    Any suggestions?

2. Igor Moskovic

Igor Moskovic Member Guru

GPU:
    ATi Sapphire HD 4870 512
    32bit<-->64bit?

3. floske

floske Active Member

GPU:
    Strix GTX 9700
    ah, sorry. 32-bit

4. randomizer

randomizer Guest

GPU:
    5600 xt Gaming OC
    Ok this happened to me recently, there are many options to fix it and may not work for you and others.

do you have an old analog tv around? if so, hook it up and windows should fully boot up with CCC and go into CCC and find "reduce dvi frequency" and tick it so it reduces the freqency everytime you boot up:). this should work
    YOU need your main screen hooked(the one that goes black) up after you get windows to work on the analog tv, because you will not see 'reduce dvi frequency' if you dont hook up your main screen to it.

Also check 'alternate dvi operational mode"

or! go in your bios and disable USB legacy. Which has worked for others.

Sorry if my instructions aren't clear.

5. floske

floske Active Member

GPU:
    Strix GTX 9700
    thank you for the reply.
    usb legacy mode didn't work, the tv i don't have and the alternate operational mode I cannot enable, because the black screen i get appears while booting (before logon).

6. enoch

enoch Banned

GPU:
    Powercolor HD4870
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  7. Igor Moskovic

Igor Moskovic Member Guru

GPU:
    ATi Sapphire HD 4870 512
    How do you manage to install different driver packages if you can't get in to Windows? is it possible to enter safe mode? if yes, then i'd unistall all VGA drivers, mop up remnants using Driver Sweeper and then do a clean catalyst install.
    BTW, was the 4670 normally functioning before under a different OS?... XP? and the Vista you're using now is with or without SP1?

8. floske

floske Active Member

GPU:
    Strix GTX 9700
    First of all thank you for all the support.

I can access safemode anytime.
    Normal startup only works, if I deinstalled the vga driver in safemode.
    I'm using SP1 and it was a clean install on a formatted disk.
    The gfx-card worked very nicely in windows xp before.

I tried the startup in low resolution right now, but the display still looses the signal just after that green bar (startup) when it's chaning to use the display driver.

I've read that people with the logitech g15 do have weired startup/display problems with long waiting times (but it always starts up). I own the g11 myself, tried starting waiting over 10 minutes, tried starting without. No difference.

- floske -

9. floske

floske Active Member

GPU:
    Strix GTX 9700
    Done :)
    VGA adapter did the trick.
    Startup -> change the refreshrate and resolution -> back to DVI.
    Almost to easy.

Thank you very much. Especially you Enoch.

10. enoch

enoch Banned

GPU:
    Powercolor HD4870
    No problem.Glad you were able to fix it.It seems to be a frequent issue for vista users.

11. randomizer

randomizer Guest

GPU:
    5600 xt Gaming OC
    Man we need to sticky this thread or make a thread of black error for those who get this problem. I dont want people to give up:)

12. Gutenberg

Gutenberg New Member

GPU:
    club 3d HD4870X2
    lo all!
    still a problem for me.
    reinstalled all drivers (cleaned out reg & system32 before), hooked up "reduce dvo frequ..." also "alternate dvi operational mode" and disabled "monitor attributes" (all in ccc). still blackscreen with dvi-input....
    greetz
    gutenberg

Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  13. W.Axl Rose

W.Axl Rose New Member

GPU:
    4870x2
    i get the black screen even with vga,and when i dont get it i get a message saying the driver arent installed or functioning right

14. enoch

enoch Banned

GPU:
    Powercolor HD4870
    Well black screens suck.No way to tell what's causing it except thru trial and error.

You know what I'm saying,foooool?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  15. W.Axl Rose

W.Axl Rose New Member

GPU:
    4870x2
    I tried reformatting and all that,i think im just gonna return the damn computer(ibuypower)...all i want to do is use my computer properly:bang:

16. fadetoblock

fadetoblock New Member

GPU:
    ati
    hi,

i've got the same issue..

after loading bar screen goes black and hdd stops working.after several restarts finally i'm able to open and vista says ati drivers caused this problem and it also says there isn't solution at this time.

i've got vga monitor connected with dvi to vga adapter.

my card is hd4870 and my motherboard is gigabyte ep35c

17. ManOwaRR

ManOwaRR Member

GPU:
    hd 4870x2
    im having the same problem
    though its vista 64
    setup hd 4870x2

hdmi cable

port hdmi(screen)

vga port( dvi)

i appreciate if someone could help to fix the problem

board DX58SO intel
    thanks
    "Crash Report"
    Check for ATI Graphics Driver updates

This problem was caused by ATI Graphics Driver, which was created by ATI Technologies, Inc.. There is no solution for this problem at this time.

Troubleshooting

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A driver update, if available, might prevent this problem from recurring.

What is a driver?

A driver is software that allows your computer to communicate with hardware or devices. Without drivers, the hardware you connect to your computer (for example, a video card or a webcam) will not work properly.

There are several ways of locating and installing driver updates, but it is best to let Windows do this for you. Try the first step below, which describes the process. If it doesn't produce a driver update that solves the problem, then try the remaining steps in the order given.

Check for optional third-party updates

Even if all critical updates have been installed on your computer, optional updates might be available for ATI Graphics Driver that have yet to be installed. Here's how to use Windows Update to check for and install optional driver updates:

Open Windows Update:

Windows Update

In the left pane, click Check for updates to see if there are any optional updates available for your computer.

If no new optional updates are available, go to step 2.

If optional updates are available, click View available updates (if you do not see this option, you might have to click Check online for updates from Microsoft Update).

Windows Update or Microsoft Update will list any updated drivers that are available for devices installed in your computer.

Select any optional updates that are listed (especially if they appear to be graphics related), and then click Install. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Try updating ATI Graphics Driver manually

If no optional PRODUCT_NAME updates were available in Windows Update, you can try updating ATI Graphics Driver manually.

Note
    It's best to let Windows install drivers for your hardware automatically, as described in step 1 above.

If you decide to manually update ATI Graphics Driver, here's how to do it:

Click to open Device Manager. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

In Device Manager, double-click Display adapters, and then double-click the name of the device running ATI Graphics Driver.

Click the Driver tab, and then click Update Driver.

When asked how you want to search for driver software, click Search automatically for updated driver software.

Windows will locate and install a new driver if one is available.

Check the ATI Technologies, Inc. website for driver updates

If no optional ATI Graphics Driver updates were available in Windows Update, go online to the following website to check for driver updates:

ATI Technologies, Inc.

How to manually update a driver using a downloaded file

Click to open Device Manager. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

In Device Manager, locate the device you want to update, and then double-click the device name.

When asked how you want to search for driver software, click Browse my computer for driver software.

Click Browse, locate where you placed the new driver on your computer, click OK, and then click Next. Windows will locate and install the new driver.

Note
    If you are running the latest version of ATI Graphics Driver and are still experiencing the problem, we recommend that you contact ATI Technologies, Inc. or the manufacturer for additional information and support.

Check your computer manufacturer's website for driver updates

If ATI Graphics Driver was preinstalled on your computer, check your computer manufacturer's website for driver updates.

How do I find my computer manufacturer?

Click the Start button , type msinfo32 in the Search box, and then press ENTER. Your computer manufacturer is listed as the System Manufacturer in the right pane of the System Information window.

Click to go online to see contact information for most computer manufacturers

How to manually update a driver using a downloaded file

In Device Manager, locate the device you want to update, and then double-click the device name.

When asked how you want to search for driver software, click Browse my computer for driver software.

Click Browse, locate where you placed the new driver on your computer, click OK, and then click Next. Windows will locate and install the new driver.

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  18. fadetoblock

fadetoblock New Member

GPU:
    ati
    i've tried 32 bit home and 64 bit ultimate
    nothing changes..

19. Iarwain

Iarwain Banned

GPU:
    4890 990//1120
    Does XP work fine guys?