Huge problem with resolution changing randomly in 185.85

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by howzz1854, May 14, 2009.

1. howzz1854

howzz1854 Member

GPU:
    dual Sapphire Tri-x R290x
    so apparently these guys can't fix one thing without breaking another. all the way up to my last driver which was 182.5 or something i never had to worry about resolution not stick. now with this new 185.85 driver first of all desktop scaling is all messed up, everytime i restart the scaling reverts back to whatever the driver likes to use and whatever the resolution it feels was right for that day.

now.... i'd figure i'll change my display's internal scaling instead... so i won't have to use Nvidia's scaling. but still now whenever i come back from S3/standby, or exit a game, the driver does its own thing and changes to some random resolution with a different refresh rate, instead of the 1080P 60hz i set to. it seems no matter how many times i manually change it back.... very often when i quit a game, or resume from standby, it always changes to a different res. GOD DAMN IT!!!.. :biggun: i just want all my shyt to stay in 1920X1080 why did they have to mess that up.

btw it's especially annoying consider if you use your PC as an HTPC like me watching TV, play games, and do stuff.

2. smashly

smashly Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 560ti / GTX 670
    I have the issue in vista32 but not in xp32.
    In vista the driver detects my 1920x1080 60hz monitor as a hd monitor and then sets my res as 1400x900 59hz and says it's the native resolution.
    From there I set the resolution to 1920x1080 60hz and apply, then I set the option to "Use my display's buit-in scaling" and hit apply...
    Instantly it drops my res back to 1400x900 59hz and sets scaling to "Do not scale"

So in the "Manage custom resolutions" section I add 1920x1080 60hz and uncheck the option "Force HD Resolutions" and hit apply.
    Now back in the "Change Resoluion" section it see's my native res as 1920x1080..
    I now set 1920x1080 60hz and hit apply... It works and sets my res correctly but....
    If I run a game or app that uses a lower res then there's no scaling (black borders)

So I once again set scaling to "Use my display's buit-in scaling" and hit apply...
    Now my refresh rate is set to 59hz... grrr
    Ok I can live with that... but
    I launch an app or game that uses a lower res it scales correctly but when I exit to my desktop it's back to 1400x900 59hz and scaling is set back to "Do not scale"...ffs
    No Resolve for vista.

I've actually moved back to XP as I just don't have the problem at all and I'm using the same version driver in both os's.

3. hearnia_2K

hearnia_2K Active Member

GPU:
    PNY RTX 2080 Super
    What displays are you guys using?

4. invisible69

invisible69 Master Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor 4870x2 2GB
    I have the same problem with Vista x64 argh :mad:

My res is only 1280*1024 on a 17" CRT monitor. I never had this problem until I upgraded my drivers :S

5. howzz1854

howzz1854 Member

GPU:
    i am using my comp in the living room hooked up to an HDTV at 1080P. but i guess the problem is not limited to HTDV users... cause even invisible has problems with his CRT monitor too.

i just never thought resolution would ever be any problem... ever... always worked... until the guys at Nvidia broke it.

6. unpluged-PT

unpluged-PT Member

GPU:
    XFX 9800 gx2
    Originally Posted by Crabby Guy View Post
    I have tried two 9-series Nvidia video cards with my 24-in LG monitor. I have also tried the latest Win 7 X64 driver (WHQL) from Nvidia plus the one that RC (build 7100) initially installed. Resetting to 60hz does not hold and the driver falls back to 59hz whether in VGA or HDMI. Screen is not usable in HDMA as it's shifted about 1/3 to the left. LG only says "it's the wrong driver." Many postings about this problem, especially with larger monitors and LG seems the worst.

Three questions:

1. Is there a fix?

2. Shall I just keep the monitor on VGA and live with it in the hope that the driver is improved?

3. Who to complain to?
    Hey ,

I have exactly teh same issue than you .... super anoying !!!!! here are my specs :

Windows 7 Rc 71000 - fresh install !
    Win 7 X64 driver (WHQL) !
    XFX 9800 GX2 !
    Monitor : HP 2408h ( connected by HDMI cable )

i searched everywhere ... didn' found any solution for this , what give me some problems in games like pes 2009 doesn't let me activate Vsyc , because of the 59 hertz that im stucked !! , COD 4 and 5 ... etc

7. Carnoustie

Carnoustie Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti
    Vista and Win 7 need monitor drivers,are they installed?

8. unpluged-PT

unpluged-PT Member

GPU:
    XFX 9800 gx2
    i have them installed :puke2:

9. Helpful

Helpful Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    This worked for me:
    Restart-> Safe Mode -> Set Resolution to the monitor's native e.g. 1920x1200 -> Restart = now it stays put.

10. howzz1854

howzz1854 Member

GPU:
    i just tried that.... except when you're in safe mode.. there's only two options. 800x600 or 1280X720. and when you change it. it doesn't actually changes the resolution. i am not sure why it worked for you consider safe mode strips away all driver level controls.

11. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    Had this issue with these drivers too, Vista64... I moved from my old 8800GTX to my GTX 285, so I thought I just needed to redo the drivers. Reinstalling the drivers over top of the old drivers didn't work, so I uninstalled them down to Standard VGA, then installed these drivers. Same problem.

Then I just went into device manager and deleted the monitor and let windows find it again. Since then this problem stopped for me.