ASUS Xonar HDAV 1.3 Discussion thread

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ROBSCIX, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Marri

Marri Guest

GPU:
    ROBSCIX ; what's the best sound card for stereo ?
    Just wondering..
    I'm getting a mac amp , will hook that with stereo speakers..
    I'm getting another sound card for my other system..

2. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    A non Deluxe HDAV13 and STX will do for your other computer marri.

3. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    For stereo sound you can't go wrong with either of those cards. If you want support for EAX/OpenAL then you will have to look elswhere or go with a dual card system.

4. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Rob shouldnt that be that if he wants actual EAX3-5 and H/W openAl that the card isnt the option for him, unless he dont mind emulation and limition of it only emulation eax5 even if its not perfect,Gx mode other functions like Emulation of H/W openAl.

Last edited: May 9, 2009

5. Marri

Marri Guest

GPU:
    thanks guys , I appreciate the effort put in..
    For Stereo , the sound card on the other rig will mostly purely be for music listening , in case if you were wondering..

Thanks for the comments..

6. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Then grab which every one of the two is cheaper and enjoy.

7. NapalmV5

NapalmV5 Member Guru

i didnt.. sorry gen.. wasnt interested at all in hdav

what opamp you like the most on hdav ?

at first i was all excited but unfortunately im still bound to 48khz

bluray is what got me interested in hdav but looks like 48khz/96khz/24bit is the most attainable only @ asus/arcsoft tmt2 and powerdvd9

arcsoft tmt3platinum downsamples bluray to 16bit.. garbage!

im contemplating on what to do.. keep hdav or return it

if essence st 7.1 is coming along maybe with asus tmt3 ? no point in keeping hdav

im gonna return my focus onto prodigy hifi again until essence st arives

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  8. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Limited to 48Khz, for video?

9. NapalmV5

NapalmV5 Member Guru

music games

10. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Did you pick up a HDAV 1.3 Deluxe?

11. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    NapalmV5 So Far I enjoying 3x OPA2277PA's atm 2x in I/V socket and another one in the buffer socket.

I like this combo over the 2xopa2277 I/V + OPA627AU buffer combo.

12. Lethialle

Lethialle Member

GPU:
    EVGA 9800GX2
    Even though my question is about the STX, I think it probably applies to the HDAV as well.

After switching from Prelude to Essence STX (due to the issue with the mic producing "wobbly" sounds all the time, I am faced with a new problem, ASUS drivers :(

In particular, for gaming (vista 64) what is the proper setting for it? Ideally I'd like to have EAX emulation in games, and use dolby headphones. But the more I mess with the software that came with the card the more confused I get... Please bear with me.

Here is what I think I know...

GX and Game DSP modes: GX setting is the one that enables/disables the EAX emulation, right? Or is EAX emulation controlled by Game setting and GX is only there to make games not crash?

8 channel = 7.1 sound, however, it DOES NOT work if you have Dolby Headphone enabled!?

Basically, what I find is that I will not get most of the sound channels (besides front L/R) if I select Dolby Headphone and 8-channel...

Now here is the really weird part... I found out that if I have 8-channel selected I could get Dolby Headphone setting to be selected by playing something while Dolby Headphone setting is not selected and then select it... (I am sure since the card is being used at the moment, the dolby headphone setting actually didn't get applied and it is just a visual glitch...)

I have looked everywhere now for proper setting for gaming, and there seems to be a lot of mixed info everywhere... :(

btw, just so you guys know, if you have the Plant Vs. Zombie game, the GX toggle will cause CTD all the time ;)

13. live4life

live4life Banned

GPU:
    Asus EnGTX295

Here is what I think I know...

GX and Game DSP modes: GX setting is the one that enables/disables the EAX emulation, right? (*yes it is ) Or is EAX emulation controlled by Game setting and GX is only there to make games not crash? (*no)

8 channel = 7.1 sound, however, it DOES NOT work if you have Dolby Headphone enabled!? (*yes works)

Basically, what I find is that I will not get most of the sound channels (besides front L/R) if I select Dolby Headphone and 8-channel...

Now here is the really weird part... I found out that if I have 8-channel selected I could get Dolby Headphone setting to be selected by playing something while Dolby Headphone setting is not selected and then select it... (I am sure since the card is being used at the moment, the dolby headphone setting actually didn't get applied and it is just a visual glitch...) (*no true)

I have looked everywhere now for proper setting for gaming, and there seems to be a lot of mixed info everywhere... :(

btw, just so you guys know, if you have the Plant Vs. Zombie game, the GX toggle will cause CTD all the time ;)[/QUOTE] (*GX enable cant causes problem it have a setting to disable it for other usefull reasons.)

14. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Some time game engines get pissy, i know CodWAW had no sound with GX enabled, til they patched codWAW to 1.4. every since then GX mode works the way it suppose to.

I sure it prolly something in the game code that doesnt like GX mode.

15. live4life

live4life Banned

GPU:
    Asus EnGTX295
    yehap games relead unpatched for buisennes reasons hehe like the new ones the realese them and next day chouc realese and patches

16. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Don't worry about that "game mode" dsp setting. It is really not what your looking for. GX modes switches the EAX emulation on or off . GX mode is a mixed bag and sometimes you can just leave it off or the game will crash. Also not all games require GX mode as they have their own built in effects engines. Maybe try 6 channel with the card and DH mode...

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  17. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    @gen, the only issue I had with sound and CODWAW, was I had to set the sample rate lower, if not the game would crash.

18. Lethialle

Lethialle Member

GPU:
    EVGA 9800GX2
    live4life: thanks for the reply. But when you have 8 Channel selected and have the check mark for Dolby Headphone checked, you hear sound in all the speakers?
    I mean when you go the speaker setup and test the 7.1 Surround sound, you hear sound on every speaker that is tested?

The only setting that would "enable" all the speakers for me would be to have nothing checked (no dolby headphone, no 7.1 virtual speaker shifter (what does this setting do anyway?)).

GenClaymore: I recall reading your suggestion about setting the soundcard to operate in 2 channel (stereo mode) to make use of the virtual surround. How well does it work for positional sound effects in games? I am reluctant to keep that setting because I was under the impression to get positional effects the game has to be set to output in as many channels as possible.

thanks much

19. live4life

live4life Banned

GPU:
    Asus EnGTX295
    doldy headphose uses 2 channel so 2 channel for headphone suport.only that causes the name,for 7.1 use the 2 channel option and u hear from all the speakers...the card has manny options so u need to seach it and play then with it xD

as known lover of asus card,i prefere it by all creative and azuen x-fi cards...! finally i found my soulmate audiocard hehehe rolfs

20. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Yea, I had that issue before 1.2 patch fixed the game from crashing with GX mode on, then then 1.3 patch fixed it so i didnt need to lower it from 48khz to 44khz to stop it from crashing. Then Finally for me 1.4 fixed it where I can use higher bit rate settings and still get sound.

Tho i was saying usually the game needs to be patched since some times it dont like what gx mode does.