To install new drivers of NVIDIA should i uninstall old drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by maass, May 12, 2009.

1. maass

maass Member

GPU:
    -
    Hi all,

i am just new to this drivers installation and uninstallation.
    i purchased a 9600GT video card last month and installed the drivers that were present at that time.
    now i see 185.85 drivers for download.
    should i uninstall the old drivers and install new one or the installation of new drivers will automatically uninstall old drivers.

thanks

2. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    unistall before installing its always recommended, and using driver sweeper after unistall too. but well, up to you, if they work well its np, if not, u'll have to do it :p

3. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    If you do use Driver Sweeper, make sure you do the reboot first and a lot of people recommend running it in Safe Mode. If you run Driver Sweeper immediately after installation there is a risk of corrupting the uninstall, this is because the old driver doesn't "completely" uninstall until after a restart.

But yes, almost everyone recommends uninstalling before installing the new version.

4. Vade

Vade New Member

GPU:
    HD6850 1GB
    I don't, and haven't got any problems. Recent drivers don't even require a reboot after installing. I just run the new exe file, check driver file's version then open my favourite game. IMHO those Driver sweeper things are a waste of time and concern.

5. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    Those "driver sweeper things" have solved BSOD issues for me in the past.

6. FrenchKiss

FrenchKiss Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX 4090 XLR8
    Me too! Just do it, even if you never encountered any issues so far. It may save you a lot of time trying to fix a stupid issue or just avoid some weird behaviors.

7. Arctucas

Arctucas Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    You know, everyone has a system that is at least slightly different from everyone else. What works for one, may not work for someone else.

I, personally, just install over top of the old drivers.

However, I suppose it would not hurt to uninstall the old drivers and run some sort of driver cleaning software.

8. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    Without running some type of driver cleaner you will at the very least have unused registry entries since only the cleaners remove that completely.

9. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    well nowadays nvidia unistaller is pretty good, i mean driver sweeper only detects 3-4 files and they are prefetech ones, not like old times in which nvidia unistaller left 300files around.