Weird Counter Strike Source Problem

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Indeed, May 11, 2009.

1. Indeed

Indeed Member

GPU:
    GeForce 256 (NV10) 120Mhz
    Don't know if this is the right place for this, but here I go.
    I'm playing my games using v-sync, combined with the d3dOverrider and so far I've seen no issues, except one game - Counter Strike Source.
    As is seems on some maps, when i move the mouse, the movement is not smooth, but choppy and it feels like lagging. It happens only in some areas of certain maps, which makes me think it's not the mouse's fault. i keep a close eye on the FPS and it's 60 all the time no drops of any kind what so ever.
    Other people around google, have reported the same phenomena, without using triple buffering, so it shouldn't be the buffer also.
    Anyone here experienced this?
    Any suggestions that you might have?
    Thank you in advance and again sorry if this is not the right place to put it in. :banana:

2. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    Have you tried using mouse smoothing? I don't use it in css, but I had a similar problem to what you describe in cod4 and mouse smoothing fixed it. Also, try turning vsync off, css needs fps greater or equal to the client tickrate.

3. Indeed

Indeed Member

GPU:
    You must mean the server's tickrate. I can't turn it off, too much screen tearing. As for the mouse smoothing, I tried that, but as I stated it happens on the same exact places, so it can't be a mouse problem.

4. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)

5. Indeed

Indeed Member

GPU:
    Just tested Fear 2 and found no problems turning from left to right.
    Now it's definitelya Counter Strike Source issue.

6. PuddingWagon

PuddingWagon Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    Does this issue still happen when you're playing a locally hosted game?

If you aren't already, then use 'net_graph 3' to look at your fps. Or use cl_showfps 1 and look for spikes, although it might be hard to see.

Could you take a screenshot of several areas where it has this issue? Preferably only official maps since I already have these decompiled to look over easily. It could be certain shaders not playing well with the settings you're on, maybe too much AO/AA/AF?

Do you have any other Source games to test?

7. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    Yeah... sounds like you aren't getting very good fps... are the specs in your sig real?

8. Indeed

Indeed Member

GPU:
    Choke and Loss are well monitored and are 0. The fps is always at 60 with no slowdowns what so ever. I guess the problem might be the tick rate of the server, exceeding my fps count. But the again it happens only in some areas. Like for example, the B plant side in Dust 2 is quite sluggish, but no fps hit what so ever. How ever when i move to the A plant side or anywhere else in the ma i have no problems, or the sluggishness is not that visible.

Yes, I have tested all the episodes, including Half Life 2 itself and I ahve no problems what so ever. :pc1:

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  9. TroM

TroM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD6850 OC
    Maybe it's your Internet lol....Test it in another online game

10. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    yeah, what sort of latencies do you get? Does it fluctuate much? What rates are you running?

11. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    vsync... it's one of the biggest causes of mouselag. Even if u don't like that answer, try to turn it off and see if your mouse lags. If it stops lagging there's probably no other solution then that.

If u are dead set on using vsync, lowering the pre-rendered frames to 1 (0 doesn't work) could help but on slower pc's it'll come with a performance hit and it still won't resolve mouselag completly.

Also, having the right rig filled in on the left side, under your avatar could help too...

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  12. Indeed

Indeed Member

GPU:
    Yeah so you could steal my identity! (jk) lol
    Anyway it's not mouse lag, I know how v-sync works and I know what mouse lag is. I got mine down to a minimum after some tweaks. The problem with mine is mouse choppiness. It has nothing to do with v-sync, but just to make sure I tried it with v-sync off. Same thing happened :biggun: !
    As for the internet connection, I don't see how a slow connection can make my mouse choppy. Internet lag is easily identifiable and can't be mistaken for system lag. The biggest latency I ever got on a server, was 50.

http://forums.counter-strike.com/counter-strike-1-6/11570-help-choppy-mouse-cs-2.html
    This guy has a problem similar to mine. His fix was reinstalling CSS.
    Will try it and report back.
    Thanks for your help guys and sorry if I sound like an ass in my responses. Just irritated. :nerd:

EDIT: Reinstalling didn't fix the problem. :(

Last edited: May 14, 2009