ASUS Xonar HDAV 1.3 Discussion thread

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ROBSCIX, Oct 25, 2008.

1. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216

I am familiar with the users manual, which information are you referring to?

2. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    I'm Loving this 3x OPA2277AU so far, letting op-amps burn in first. Wish I did this much sooner.

3. nam

nam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW ICX
    Burn in? do you mean not crank up first and how long for ?

4. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    First day they sounded good then today they improved more. i dont mean the burn in as in tube amp.

5. nam

nam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW ICX
    Ah right understand .. new to me this mate . as you no .. i need soildering skills:) .

6. live4life

live4life Banned

GPU:
    Asus EnGTX295
    btw plus++++ the drivers has more good candys like when u unistall them will no let nothing on the system like dlls and reg files...i love that work that asus do!!!

7. davinleeds

davinleeds Active Member

GPU:
    6450/5750/i3530/9800gt
    Sorry for my delay.
    I read that the spdif input will accept 2 ch pcm and with DDLive or DTS Interactive, 5.1 output would be achieved. Is that correct?

8. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    yes davinleeds

9. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    DDL and DTS-i are encoders, they take any signal and encode it to DD or DTS. If the encoder is sent just 2 channel audio it will encode two channel audio.
    There are upmix routines avialable, Prologic IIX..etc.. If you take a 2 channel PCM input and upmix it, you get surround sound BUT it isn't true surround sound just 2 channel "mirrored"...

For true surround input, you need a decoder on the S/Pdif input, so it will decode the DD or DTS, then you could feed it to the speakers or re-encode via DDL or DTS-i. Pretty sure you can just passthrough also. S/Pdif input->S/Pdif output...

Long story short, the S/Pdif input on the HDAV 1.3 will not accept a Dolby Digital or DTS stream. The card cannot "understand" the encoding, if that makes sense.

10. NapalmV5

NapalmV5 Member Guru

asus drivers allow dts connect/stereo @ all channels ?

if not do ht omegas halo drivers work on hdav1.3 ?

thanks!

11. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    What do you mean?
    Asus Drivers have DDL/DTS which encodes audio to DD or DTS....

12. NapalmV5

NapalmV5 Member Guru

reason i asked.. asus drivers @ xmeridian would only do front stereo.. no multi stereo

anyhow.. after looking at all hdav1.3 offers ill be getting it asap!

[​IMG]

is that 6x dual (+/-) input opamps/3x dual output opams ?

front the same ?

any naked pix around ?

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  13. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Each 3 opamps is for a stereo Pair a left and right channels.

Going from the top, the first 3 opamps are for the first two RCA jacks.

The opamps, The JRC 2114D's are a I/V (current to Voltage) converter and the LM4562NA is for the single end buffer. The DAC used only outputs current, so it needs the extra I/V section to get voltage.

Fronts are the same.

This 3 opamp layout is used on the HDAV 1.3, STX, ST 7.1 and IIRC, one of the older Xonars.

This opamp layout give you a great deal of configurability for your sonic signature.

14. Invincible

Invincible Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 3850
    Thank you guys, so we can now 100% be certain that the HDMI-in is a DVI with no sound?

this is very sad, I cant see why it cant have sound.

15. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    It can't have sound because it was never meant to. That connection was meant to connect a DVI source to. Nothing more... There are a few guys I have talked with that wanted to do what your asking.

16. davinleeds

davinleeds Active Member

GPU:
    6450/5750/i3530/9800gt
    That connection enables the required hdcp to have HD audio. But you don't have to play the "movie" through that connection for it to work. That's my take.

17. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    The DVI/HDCP connector on the HDAV 1.3 is meant for a DVI/HDCP connection.

I am pretty sure a few people have tried to feed a HDMI signal to that connector only to get a picture but no sound as it is only DVI/HDCP.

If anybody has a blue ray player connect it up and see if you get any audio through the card.

18. NapalmV5

NapalmV5 Member Guru

so this is what ive been missing.. u freaking kidding me.. damit rob! all this time and u didnt tell me how good the hdav1.3 deluxe is ?!?

when i first saw the "hdmi" i didnt want to touch it with a 50 foot pole.. since im not interested in hdmi audio.. but after taking closer look at the manual and what hdav actually does.. rca analog to compliment my polk psw1000/3000watt analog sound system.. well here i am enjoying sound bliss right from it :)

19. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    I guess you didnt notice me enjoying mine with all of the op-amp combos i been trying.

20. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I figured you knew, but were happy with the Halo XT.

The Essence STX is also a great card but stereo, There is one card htat beats the HDAV 1.3 for analog sound quality for surround and that is the Essence ST 7.1 however, that one is currently only prototype and being enjoyed by yours truly.;)
    I have been working on and modding a 6 channel Class D amplifier to go with my soudncards.