Firefox and Mozilla: The Monsters Garage

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by Animatrix, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    Funny i was going to suggest that, but i didn't because for one i have never seen such an issue and well i didn't want to repeat anything from the list. Good thing you did the extra check.

What i don't understand is why though, and i am assuming it still affects IE. You might want to try uninstalling Avira, run their registry cleaner and reinstall. Because it really shouldn't make your downloads fail like that. But the auto scan is not really necessary as long as you have the guard running and/or just manually scan files before running them. I would like to see it fixed anyway, so if your willing i still say try a reinstall to see if it helps.

http://dlpro.antivir.com/down/windows/registrycleaner_en.zip

2. PuddingWagon

PuddingWagon Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    During installation it came up with an error (no details given), but then proceeded to install, update and apparently work properly. I think this happened when I first installed it too but I honestly can't remember. I did do the full uninstall with the reg cleaner.

In the setup log this is the only error:
    27/01/2009,20:23 [INFO] Reading registry value failed: Software\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic | FilterType
    The log concludes that the installation was completed successfully. Downloading files works in 64 bit IE, not in 32 bit, but I'm certain that I only tested with 32 bit IE before.

3. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    Strange, but i guess as long as it's just a read error it's nothing too serious.

This is what i have for the FilterType
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Premium
    "FilterType"=dword:00000001

One option might be to manually delete stuff after the uninstall and make sure everything related to Avira is gone before reinstalling.

#135 - Instructions for manual uninstallation

If you want you can try their forum.

4. PuddingWagon

PuddingWagon Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    I've got that registry entry too. As for the old files I cleared those out after I got the error then tried reinstalling again but it still came up. I'm not too worried about IE, so long as FF and everything else works I'm happy.

5. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    Disappearing firefox icons

It seems to be a known bug, but Google isn't helping me find the solution.Every now and then seemingly for no reason, my task bar icons disappear.Getting them back is easy, but can I prevent this from happening?
    I'm using FF 2
    normal:
    [​IMG]

does this on it's own:
    [​IMG]

6. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    I know this is an old post but just in case your still having this issue i would suggest you try regenerating the localstore.rdf file. You will need to redo your toolbar customizations.
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Corrupt_localstore.rdf

Oh and if i may ask is there any reason why your running version 2 and not 3 ?

7. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    I'll try that right away, thanks, but I won't know if it works right away or not-the problem is really random.Using FF2 still because I didn't really care for 3.When 2 gets too bad,hopefully 4 will be out.

Nice to have you back BTW, thought you went the way of Infested Nexus.

EDIT, I've since given FF3 a second chance and I love it.Either I didn't realize how customizable it is before, or they made some changes.No matter, I have it and I'm a happy camper.

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  8. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    ok i need help .DEFAULT firefox TAB order killing me since the first day. i dont like IE but ie's TAB order is cool. let me make it clear..iam surfing www.a.com..and in another TAB www.b.com..in a.com TAB i click a link and a new TAB opens u know. and that new TAb goes to next to b.com TAB2s right. i want new windows open NEST right to a.com..this happens in IE but why not FIREFOX? iam sure i can make it with add on but which one? pLS HELP!

9. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    tab mix plus ?

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1122

10. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop

11. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    How do I get FF to use a add-on that hasn't been updated to the latest version of FF? I'm still on 3.0.13 because some of my favorite ad ons weren't updated, but I can't give them up.
    I tried to create a new Boolean thingamabob to ignore checking compatibility, but it didn't work.Every time I check for updates, it tells me my favorite ad ons will be disabled.

12. PuddingWagon

PuddingWagon Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    Just to double check, you've used:
    extensions.checkCompatibility = false
    with no typos? It worked for me when I needed it.

As an alternative, you can modify the extension as shown here. Replace 3.0.* with 3.5.*.

13. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    install the addon Nightly Tester Tools. it will allow to override the warning :)
    everything will work :)

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6543

14. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    Well I'm all fixed now, thanks guys.I installed the nightly tester tool and it worked.
    @PuddingWagon, I had the c in compatibility in cap so that may have thrown it off too.
    Anyway, thanks again.

15. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    The anti virus thingy on firefox is terrible it scans for ages but it can be removed quite simply

go to about:config and locate browser.download.manager.scanWhenDone and click it twice so it changes to false

most virus scanners will detect things straight away, regardless of firefox's internal setting

16. quaker3

quaker3 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6850HD
    go where?
    there is no such thing as..about"config...
    tools/options - thats where most annoying settings are hidden.
    where to find that "about" on ff ?

17. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Just type it into the URL bar:
    Code:
    about:config

18. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    type in the address bar

about:config

19. Nityo

Nityo New Member

GPU:
    Kingston
    :bang:
    tnx

[MOD EDIT] Please only quote relevant information.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2009
  20. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream