Win7, 4870X2 + 280GTX

Discussion in 'Videocards - Intel ARC & ARC Driver section' started by Torch'em, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Zazza

Zazza Member

GPU:
    ATI 4870x2 + 8800GTS
    UPDATE:
    Setup: Windows 7 x64 (build 7100) , 4870x2 + 8800gts

1) Update (via Windows Update) to the latest WDDM 1.1 nVidia driver - reboot
    2) Install latest Catalyst Suite (9.4 now) - reboot
    3) Install latest PhysX driver from nVidia (9.09.0408) - reboot

I've checked Fluidmark benchmark and nVidia Nurien Tech Demo: both PhysX hardware enabled.
    No need (for me) to mess with primary/secondary adapter or enabling/disabling ATI to setup PhysX.

Remember: DON'T install nVidia graphic driver from their site. Use Windows Update.

Things NOT working: PhysX control panel doesn't show up.

I'll check later some games to see if PhysX is working properly.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  2. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    can some one please make me a step by step guide on how to get this working as im going win7 next week and want to run my 4870x2 + 8600gt, thanks + all info will be nice

p.s. once setup will it stay running as i really dont want to have to turn it on everytime i do my pc lol, and i only want ti to work so i can play sacred2 with physx lol

3. JaylumX

JaylumX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 TI 12G
    Have you tested the Cryotasis Demo on that setup. The demo includes support for hardware physx and contains further enhancements than the actual retail game.

Cheers

4. Zazza

Zazza Member

GPU:
    ATI 4870x2 + 8800GTS
    I've tested Cryostasis Tech Demo and PhysX is definitely working. Choosing between hardware or software is like choosing day or night.

The real shame is PhysX support in-games:

1) Cryostasis: performance with ATI cards (but not only) is proven to be problematic. In addition, there's a bug with shader model v4.0. You must choose v3.0. Apart from that, honestly, I could see any improvements.

2) Mirror's Edge (v1.01) : a known bug with PhysX drivers. This causes slowdowns while PhysX is active (even with just nVidia cards). You have to switch off PhysX hardware support. So, no improvements.

As a final note: installing latest PhysX (9.09.0408) drivers shows incorrect version (9.09.0203) in "Programs and Features" panel. Many (on nVidia forum,too) are asking why.

So, technically this could work but, in practice, not. I really like to see ONE damn game with PhysX working to say my last word.

5. Torch'em

Torch'em Member

GPU:
    3 x 480GTX
    Thanks Zazza. I'll try to get back to this in the next couple of days.

6. Zazza

Zazza Member

GPU:
    ATI 4870x2 + 8800GTS
    Hi Torch... Hope to hear your feedback, soon.

See ya!

7. JaylumX

JaylumX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 TI 12G
    Have you tried the updated Cryotasis Demo Linkage. The SM4.0 bug is not present in the demo so it must be using a newer build...say a patch for the retail game can be expected in future i wonder?

Cheers

EDIT: You said that the Nvidia drivers you used for the 9600GT was the one available on Windows Update. Just out of curiosity have you tried the current Detonator driver available on Nvidia but installed using Device Manager.

Cheers Reloaded

EDIT Reloaded: Another curiosity, do you reckon a 8600GT or 9500GT is sufficient for physics or is the 9600GT the absolute minimum. Sorry to hijack your thread fella.

Cheers with a Vengence

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  8. Zazza

Zazza Member

GPU:
    ATI 4870x2 + 8800GTS
    No, I didn't... but I could. Hovewer people are angry and really waiting for a patch.

Well, I said that I have to use drivers provided by Microsoft through Windows Update (WDDM v1.1) since latest nVidia drivers (185.81) made PhysX not working anymore. I used the common way setup. I could try manual installation but I wonder if it could change anything.

Well, considering what's PhysX showing in-game as for today (read: very little), I think 8800GT or 9600GT will do.

Hope to hear other user's feedback...

9. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Can anyone confirm this ?
    ive tried setting it up yesterday, and coudnt enable physx. i ofcourse was using the 185.81 drivers

10. Zazza

Zazza Member

GPU:
    ATI 4870x2 + 8800GTS
    Just a little update.
    I could finally verify in-game performance: Unreal Tournament 3 (with Physx Maps addon) really use my 8800gts for Physx.

Timedemo with Physx disabled:
    Code:
    frames, Time(ms), Min, Max, Avg
    4632  , 175518  , 14 , 116, 26.390
    Timedemo with Physx enabled:
    Code:
    frames, Time(ms), Min, Max, Avg
    16915 , 175089  , 50,  138, 96.608
    I've double checked the results disabling the nVidia card through Device Manager and repeating the timedemo with PhysX forcibly enabled in the .ini configuration file. Performance was indeed poor.

11. Torch'em

Torch'em Member

GPU:
    3 x 480GTX
    Finally got around to the RC version. 9.4 Ati, 1.1 Nvidia's and 9.09.0408 PhysX. Had to manually install the PhysX drivers.

Yes, same as Zazza in Mirrors Edge, but slows down a little more with Ati as main display with Nvidia as PhysX for me anyway.

Cryostasis work pretty good but not same as just the Nvidia GPU, but works. About a 10FPS diff' on max and 5 FPS on ave'. Only thing I noticed was a few things where not quite right with colours like when a bright light or reflection was a red or green in colour instead of white sometimes.

Fluidmark works both full screen and window with the 9.4's & 1.1's. Have not tried any drivers.

Vantage PhysX works still http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dmv=1036507

I can't bother with UT3 as it's not a good bench for PhysX plus hate the game.

For those who have missed how I do it;

1. Windows control panel/display/adjust resolution/Show only the Nvidia card display, apply.
    2. Open Nvidia CP/enable PhysX (if not already) and leave open Don't close.
    3. Back to display/adjust ressy/extend/make ATI primary/apply

edit. Sticks after reboot with these drivers.

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  12. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    OK THANKS

ok so what is the cheapest nvidia card i can buy that will do the job fully, no lag, i want to play sacred2 with physx

13. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    do you realize how much wasted power is being used and excessive heat being dumped into your case? A GTX 280 for just PhysX is a joke, the most you need is an 8800GT.

14. Torch'em

Torch'em Member

GPU:
    3 x 480GTX
    Thanks for the positive post LedHed. I don't have a 8800 to use so I'll live with the excessive power and I water cool so no heat.

15. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    ok people i have physx working on my 8800gt while running ati 4870x2 and i have one problem my ati card never uses more than 30% of its cores while phsyx is on so i ge some stupid low fps rate, can this be fixed

thanks

p.s. ive tryed turning off AI / CF and doesnt make a difference apart from core one then uses 40% lol and core two is 0%

should i forget about it and send my 8800gt back to reclaim my money

16. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    ok people i have got it setup now and heres results

fluidmark

AI OFF = CF OFF
    AI STANDARD = CF ON BUT UNTWEAKED
    [​IMG]

cryistasis tech demo

AI OFF = CF OFF
    AI ADVANCED = CF ON FULLY
    8800gt = ONLY THIS ONE CARD FOR PHYSX AND GFX ATI TURNED OFF

[​IMG]

17. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    I'm in the same boat as you. Win 7 hits im sticking my 285 as Physx, and selling my 280 pretty cheap to a friend of mine.

My MSI GTX 285 Idle'd 34C so heat is no issue with me also.

18. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    GhostXL

is ur set-up running with ati+nvidia at the miniute by this i mean do u have them operational, if you do could you post pics like my post above so i can compare and id like to also ask do you have urs set-up like this

-extended view in win7 display menu
    -two monitors connected up at once one per card
    - ati 9.4 + nvidia 181.71 drivers

as this is how i got mine working and id like to use one display if possible

19. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    No I don't use RC's and Beta's (When it comes to OS's), that's why I said when Win 7 comes out I'll be going that route. I have Win 7 in Dual boot, but I don't mess with it much at all. I'll wait for the real thing. I have too much installed and important doc's to have an incomplete OS screw me over lol.