Mac Accepts Defeat In Pricing Criticism

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by LedHed, May 3, 2009.

1. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    http://www.dailytech.com/Reports+Apple+to+Cut+Its+Mac+Computer+Prices/article15024.htm

It's so funny to see Apple finally having to admit their huge price markup by finally implementing a price cut. I also find it funny they claim "this is not a response to Microsoft Laptop Hunter ads"; how the hell is it not? Microsoft criticizes you for huge prices and you immediately cut your prices? Apple may as well have made an official announcement that says "Microsoft was correct, we are robbing you $500 for our logo".

I guess their new time machine commercial isn't selling as many units as they hoped :micro:

Someone tell me the last time an Apple Ad caused any sort of action on the other end or even in general. The only thing Apple ads have produced is a desire for hackers to design viruses for the "trendy" geeks.

2. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    I'm just wondering what corners they're going to cut to effect these price drops. They are already notorious for skimping on quality caps even though that can only be saving them a couple of dollars at most.

3. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    That's still rumors at this time.

And we all know how bad some of them are.

As for them dropping their prices, it seems unlikely as their last quarter they were still making a great profit with no slumps in sales.
    And considering it's a recession, that's pretty damn good when everyone else is reporting huge losses.

Not turning this into a huge debate, but seems a little odd that's all.

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    This one is funny. How come others can make netbooks for even less and they still aren''t piece of junk as they put it? I was always saying that GMA950 is crap, but after running some rather demanding games on it, i changed my mind.
    It's just funny that Apple is living in a denial while all the other vendors are eating large chunks of cake out of this segment. Because netbooks sell like crazy from what i see.

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    If I remember correctly their ipod and iphone sales carried their mac sales, which were down a fair bit. Overall they still made money.

6. salanos

salanos Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX980 4GB (Ref.)
    Apple can make a system with a production cost of less then $500, they just have to sell it at $1000.

7. DougClayton4231

DougClayton4231 Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD3850/ NV 9800GTX+
    I don't see the purpose in investing in a mac anyway but whatever lol.

8. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    While I'm usually anti-mac, you have to realize this article is by Jason Mick. He likes to sensationalize everything. He especially likes to use unconfirmed information.

Either way I say w/e. I'd never get a mac because I hate the OS.

9. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    A price cut would be good. Any price cut, regardless of manufacturer means better value for consumers.

I got my Macbook for CAD$1349 and I still think it was a great value. I still haven't had better customer service from any tech company except from Apple. Even when my original white Macbook was labelled as a lemon, they gave me a brand new aluminium Macbook that is worth $1749.

deltatux

10. calebMaster

calebMaster Member Guru

GPU:
    Crossfire 7970 1125/1500
    just letting everyone know - Mac's warrenty is terrible. and the techs at the apple store are idiots ... worse than BestBuys techs by far , "if you seen an Apple sales guy or tech , they all have that same look about them, .. we dont give a sh^t " :rpg:Btw...

yes. im anti mac

Last edited: May 3, 2009

11. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    To be honest they have to offer great service though don't they. If your Mac goes tits up its usually them and only them that can fix it were as if your PC goes tits up you usually buy the replacement part and fix it quicker and cheaper yourself.

12. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    Macs are pretty nice once you get used to how everything works, if they drop enough i may get one to replace my laptop

13. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    If someone gave me a mac for free I'd still not use it and throw it on ebay for 99cents or something...cause they are worthless and I hate working on them.

14. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Have a cookie to calm down.

I've had plenty of dealings with Apple, and they've been very quick and helpful.
    Had plenty of things covered by Warranty that probably shouldn't have been, but they fixed it anyway.

15. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    some people just like to hate apple, mostly those who never owned one.
    aside from games, theres not alot all that great to say about Windows or MS products either.

16. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    I actually find it rather funny that so many people hate Mac.

Not because of price or whatever other reason you hate them.
    It's because you game. And you can't game (Although I can still pull 200fps out of my Mac Pro through WoW on a 30" with everything turned up beautifully)

And because there's no games, or even much support, you hate them.

People, seriously, wake up and smell a rose, computers are tools, they do a job.
    Windows does some jobs great, Mac do others great, Linux can do other things very well.

If we didn't have any competition, do you think Windows would be like it is today? Nope, would be stale and still be using the same crap because of it.

Seriously, go take a walk if you feel like you hate something that much.

17. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    The reason most people (including myself) dislike Apple is because of this "lifestyle" they try and promote from an OPERATING SYSTEM. Inside of an Apple is the exact same thing found in a Dell, the only difference is the OS; yet Apple tries to make people feel like they are joining some type of social club...

Not to mention how big of a joke their advertising tactics are; I mean they could at least promote their product instead of trying to constantly put down their competition. It only shows how inferior their market share is and how threatened they are by Windows.

It really is pathetic that people buy into marketing that includes a Microsoft time machine...

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  18. calebMaster

calebMaster Member Guru

GPU:
    Crossfire 7970 1125/1500
    ^^^^ this guy said it ALL! 100% agree :) ^^^

... and btw , my mother happens to own a mac book, she was brain washed by that awful commercial "Hi im a mac and im a PC" and whats funny she wanted Windows Vista on her mac so she can use Office at work ! :nerd:

OH WHAT A TWIST!

19. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    Microsoft Office is available for OS X...:3eyes:

Some of the anti-Mac crew in this thread don't seem to have much of an idea about what they are talking about. Personally I own a Macbook. I use it for general web browsing and as my main music source, and for these tasks it is great. I didn't buy it for these reasons though. I use it as my music recording and production system as well, in conjunction with an Edirol audio interface, a midi controller, and Logic 8. The best advantage I find using a Mac over PC for audio work is that the apple core audio system natively supports the majority of interfaces. PC requires you to bugger about with drivers/ASIO drivers for audio work however the fact that I can just plug in my interface, switch it on and it works is great. Even better is that I can have friends over with their own equipment and we know it will work right off the bat, not requiring us to install drivers just to get their interface to work.

Now I'm not saying you can't get all your gear working on a PC, because with some drivers of course you can, but Apple have made sure to design their systems aimed at specific niche users, and they have done this well. I will definitely be keeping a Mac in my arsenal for just this reason.

20. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    so you pay 2x the cost of a Windows machine because it is dummy proof?

(Just a note, I use Macs daily at work on our GIS machines and I am the main hardware IT for the State Dept I am at. For the record Apple support blows, I talk to Dell and Apple Tech Support almost daily (we have 400 computers and one always has something wrong with it) and I would pick Dell every time)

Last edited: May 4, 2009