4870 X2 VRM temps - hitting over 110*C

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by king-dubs, Apr 28, 2009.

1. king-dubs

king-dubs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE
    What should I do?

Running FurMark, 1920x1200, no AA, full screen, the card's VRMs hit over 110*C, in 73 seconds.

Test results:
    [​IMG]

This is at 792 MHz core, stock voltage, 55% fan speed (stock cooler). The temps were still climbing too.. GPU temp was hitting 92*C at the time before I exited FurMark.

I have a spare 120mm fan at 23 dB, going at 60cFM of airflow at maximum RPM. Should I try installing it to my Antec 900's side panel, and see if it significantly reduces these temps?

2. rogue221979

rogue221979 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3090 GTX
    How hot is your CPU runing, does your case have good ventilation how many fans do you run in it? Sounds like your fan on the card isnt working properly.

Set the fan manually to 100 percent and see if it still runs that hot.

Set the card back to stock speed. The 4870 x2 runs as fast enough overclock isnt worth the risk of destroying the card.

3. king-dubs

king-dubs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE
    I have a DELTA @ 151 cFM blowing the heat from the CPU directly out the top of the Antec 900, and CPU only hits around 45C. I have two Antec Tri-cool LEDs in the front of the case pulling air into the case, and one Tri-cool exhaust, and of course the top 200mm "big boy" fan as top exhaust.

Here's a re-test with the GPU fan at 100% (boy, it's loud, not as loud as the DELTA at 100% though):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

VRM temps still quite high.

I want to lower the temps, so I can crank up the GPU voltage and hope to get 850 MHz core at least out of this thing. Also, the current overclock makes a very negligible difference in temperature.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  4. rogue221979

rogue221979 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3090 GTX
    Nice case, I have an antec 300 with all the fans loaded runing at high speed. I also have a vigor moonson III runing at hight speed for the CPU. THe only fan on auto is the 4870 x2. Sounds like a hospital Generator runing but **** it um a gamer.

So airflow shouldnt be a problem for you with a bigger better case and all the fans in.

So runing the fan at max kept it below 100c I see. 80C is acceptable though. I wouldnt let it run at 110c for long thats freakin hot, thats quite a difference considering.

You may have to take the noise for the overlock temp. The autofan works well at stock but it lets the card get way to hot overclocked, even on mine.

Unless you replace the cooler on The X2, they run hot as it is. I have a Asus tri fan X2 which helped alot.

I think its probly your style fan on the card, do you have the side case fan on blowing on the GPU?

That might help.

In the mean time just leave the fan at 100 percent.

5. king-dubs

king-dubs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE
    No it did not, VRMs still hit 106*C (looking at GPU 0 VRM Phases).

Lucky you :)

Obviously, you have two more GPU fans than mine, and you have a bigger GPU cooler. Also, how long did you run FurMark for, and was it in Full Screen? And did you run it from "etqw.exe" and not from "FurMark.exe"?

I was asking that in the first post. I have a 60 cfm 120mm fan lying around, I have not installed any side panel fans. So, I should try installing it as a side-panel fan?

6. rogue221979

rogue221979 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3090 GTX
    I think its just a Cooler limitation for you, you gotta get that thing cooled down. Did you see any artifacts?

I ran it since your first post in full screen for 30 minutes. However I used the furmark.exe I will run it again.

Yes the xtra fans do help, install that side fan and see if it makes a difference.

The I7 throttles up to 3.1 gig on its own so in turbo mode, but with your case it shouldnt matter what your CPU is at anyway.

7. king-dubs

king-dubs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE
    No artifacts at all at this mediocre overclock.

ATI drivers (since Catalyst 8.8 I think) greatly throttle the cards down when it detects "FurMark.exe" running, so the creator of FurMark also added a renamed exe with the installation, called "etqw.exe".

I'll try that then.

CPU isn't the problem here.

8. rogue221979

rogue221979 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3090 GTX
    What ati drivers are you runing by the way?

9. king-dubs

king-dubs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE
    Latest of course... Catalyst 9.4 on Vista Ultimate 64-bit SP1.

Also, I just tried installing a side-panel fan, but the DELTA fan is too wide, so the side-panel couldn't close :( (fan would hit the DELTA)

10. Nafets1

Nafets1 Active Member

GPU:
    Your high VRM temps are normal for an HD487x (with digital VRMs) running Furmark.

Just forget about how hot the card gets in Furmark. It's an anomaly. Most games will never stress your card to the levels that Furmark does.

As long as your card is stable and artifact free in the games you play or benchmarks that you like to run, then just shelf Furmark and enjoy your OC.

I can guarantee you'll never acheive a high OC and low temps while running Furmark on air cooling. You'd need a full waterblock for your card for those type of results.

11. !H'Guru

!H'Guru Guest

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    If you want to try another stability test, try atitool. It also stresses the GPU, but not THAT much. It does have an option for artifact scanning which works fine for me.

12. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    My VRMS go to 79-105 celsius ( gpu 0 at 99-105 and gpu 1 79-85 degrees )

Min fps 145
    Average FPS 201
    Max fps 259

12028 points

Your temps seem fine really Oo

/edit

I don't think you are running with both gpus really, or maybe my card is clocked so much higher, 830/1100 atm.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  13. king-dubs

king-dubs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE
    ATITool doesn't work as intended with Multi-GPU. It only uses ONE GPU, and it also uses the one GPU in 2D clocks only.

You're using different settings too.

14. king-dubs

king-dubs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE
    Here's the settings I'm using for FurMark:
    [​IMG]

15. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Tested at 1920x1200 aswell,

Max fps was 198

Average 151

Min 102

8986 points.

Didn't check temps but I know they were high since at 40% fan comp frooze, so fixed it at 70% and was np, but it was probably in the 110s degrees aswell.

16. brinco218

brinco218 New Member

GPU:
    HIS 5870 Stock
    in yor screenshot tthe card's clocks are in 2D(507Mhz core and 500 memory). This is a bug of Catalyst/Furemark. Try changing de exe name (if I recall) to assure you have 3d clocks activate. So the temps will go higher.

17. king-dubs

king-dubs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE
    Yes, that's because I WAS in 2D mode... I quit FurMark to show you guys my cards' clock settings.

"Benchmark" works differently than "Stability Test".