Internet Latency

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by putty, Apr 7, 2009.

1. putty

putty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 4090
    Hey guys, iam in need of some help,

I play jk2(q3 engine), and a friend of mine in the same clan as i am, lately has a very high ping,

normally he has a ping of 48 like almost everyone has but now he has a ping of 98 wich is really high for this game(and every game i think).

now i've been helping him out a lot with all the console commands i know from the q3 engine(i have been trying to tweak it all for myself few years ago) but nothing helps,

he also rebooted his modem multiple times tried different slots in the modem nothing changes anything.

with all the q3 commands set right almost everyone can get a ping of 48(a steady 48, never changes) with settings set otherwise it gets a bit lower but fluctuates much.

now his ping is fixed at 98 and ALWAYS 98 so i think somekind of latency is build up for some reason, any one have any ideas?

i would really appreciate an answer since he's a very nice guy.

2. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
  3. PeterNorth

PeterNorth Banned

GPU:
    kk
    Change ISP or server

4. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    Maybe try traceroute to the server ip. Possibley bad hop on the way causing higher than normal latency.

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Unless you have another app running using bandwidth there's not much you can do about ping from your end. I have read that adjusting your MTU can make some difference but it didn't for me.
    Contact your ISP is prob the best advice. If you have interleaving enabled disabling it helps reduce ping...

6. deceived

deceived Guest

GPU:
    XFX radeon hd 7870 @ 1100
    Also higher quality routers will make the line switch to fastpath, I had really bad router replaced it with linksys and bam line switched to fastpath.