Any tips of reducing video card temp??...

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by kcw, Apr 26, 2009.

1. kcw

kcw Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 260GTX (Black Edition
    Hello to all gurus and members of Guru3D... First of all, I would like to tell all XFX GTX260 Black edition user to RMA your card if you card always lock up pre 80C.. I have done mine.. and now i can play crysis warhead with the settings of gamer and the temp reached 90C no lockup... only in enthusiast mode i get lockup... so i quite pleased with the card at the moment (although i have to wait for 5 weeks + to get my card replaced :(

so as the title suggest.. is there any tips of reducing the temp while playing games??... I have a M5 casing which is not the best for cooling.. but that all i have i will stick to it... My average temp for playing games is 74-83C and idle at 56C... Thanks in advance...

2. _Rnesto

_Rnesto Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 320MB
    uuuuh. increase fan speed with rivatuner to 100%? if you don't mind an extra bit of noise.

3. Foes

Foes Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-Sli 260's
    I have a 120mm 110cfm fan blowing on my 260's, reduced their temps by 10c.

4. NAJMI ADNAN

NAJMI ADNAN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290X TriX 4GB
    Like Foes say, its best to put 120mm fan blowing at the side of the card, it can drastically reduced temperature, I recommend it for high end card and in multi GPU setup. Another thing to do is increase fan speed by using Rivatuner, find a sweet spot between cooling and noise (I think around 60%, depends on cards)

5. kcw

kcw Member Guru

GPU:
    Sorry that I havent notified you all... I already have rivatuner installed.. and schedule is on at 65C-73C @80% speed and 77C above @ 100% fan speed...

Foes... where did you position your fan??.. my casing does not allowed me to put a 120mm fan at the side of the video card... Thanks...

6. Ianevey

Ianevey Member

GPU:
    POV maxcore 260gtx 896mb
    ?

What temperature do you get when first booting into windows?

It could be that no matter what fans you put into your machine you will always have high temps as i had a small case with fans all over the place blowing in and out, i tried different configurations for the fans but the best i got was 52 degrees and that was with a side fan blowing onto the card.

Now i have a akasa zor full tower with 2 120mm fans blowing from front and 1 rear exhaust my idle temp is 38 and the card never goes over 70 degrees this is with 50% fan speed so its still quite quiet playing crysis + farcry 2 for hours.

I dont know if any of this will help you but if when you first boot into windows the temp is 56 degrees then i would say the ventilation in your case is insufficient or the card is too near another component in your case. Or maybe your gpu fan is not that great.

It would be interesting to see what temps the card gets in another pc though with good cooling.

best thing i did was to buy the akasa case.

Regards

Ian

7. YetYhunter

YetYhunter Maha Guru

GPU:
    Jetstream GTX1080
    How do you schedule the fan speed?Can I d It for my GTS's?

8. bobdude

bobdude Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    well my computer case is made out of a mini refrigerator you can get at walmart.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10251240

i coast less then a full tower case and i run it at 55 degrees F so i don't get water build up and it cools my board cpu and video card until i find away to mount my psu in there.

9. Vector

Vector Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 770 FTW 4gb w/bkplate

Far out idea!! :nerd:

10. Foes

Foes Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-Sli 260's
    I just use the front intake..luckly due to the length of the cards the air does not have to travel far..lol

11. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    Use the combo of launcher-scheluder with hardware monitor ;) its pretty easy, or look in google.

12. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    Ask chispy, he'll tell you some ways to cool your card ;)

13. tHe_HyBrId

tHe_HyBrId Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6950 (Unlocked)
    I'm not sure whether the GTX260's throw out hot air into the case like old 8800GTS 640mbs do.. but with my CM Stacker 830 I have 3 120mm side fans. 1 bottom left and 2 on the right, can't have 4 as my CPU cooler is too big :p

I have the 2 right ones taking in air and the bottom left one sucking air out. So cool air gets sucked in behind my CPU and graphics cards, where their fans can suck it in, then the bottom left fan sucks away the hot air that my graphics cards throw out :)

Also make sure you clean your pc regularly, I cleaned out both cards and all of my fans yesterday and my cards idle temepratures went from 70'C and 67'C down to currently 51'C and 49'C ;)

HyBrId

14. abless

abless Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800GTS OC2 640mb
    If you can't afford a new case, upgrade your existing fans for more powerful ones. That's what I did. I have a decent case, with 2 case fans stock, each flowing @ ~45 cfm.

I upgraded the rear exhaust with a new silverstone FM121 with 3.5" bay speed controller that pushes 110 cfm @ 2400 rpm. Or I can turn it down to as low as 800 rpm to reduce noise.

I suggest replacing both case fans and finding other places to stick fans. There are many pci fans that go below your graphics card, intaking air and blowing it on the graphics card. I have one of those as well (with adjustible speed). You might have an 80mm fan spot somewhere.

Do some simple tests to determine where the air is coming in exactly, and think about how it flows (aerodynamics). Also, see if you can lower the ambient room temperature by opening up windows and or doors (nooooo....... the light burnnnnnssss usssss).

The last thing I can think of is to buy an aftermarket GPU cooler. Or underclock your card and or turn down the detail and or resolution.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  15. kcw

kcw Member Guru

GPU:
    My 1st boot temperature is around 53-55C... once play game is rise very fast... maybe my reso is high.. i'm playing at 1920x1080...

i did change my front intake to 120x120 mm higher rpm.. if not mistaken is running at 1800-1900 rpm.. (not sure about the cfm though)... I really like to post a pic of my pc casing but i not sure how to do it...

i did try once putting a 80x80 fan directly in front of my video card but it does not affect much.. 1C drop only... i think is becoz not enuf air inside the casing... so i remove it...

currently i have 1 120x120 front intake.. and 2 120x120 exhaust back and top... so i do not know where i can try to squeeze in more air or maybe exhaust more air... anyway thank to many of your creative ideas...esp the mini fridge... :)

16. kcw

kcw Member Guru

GPU:
    Hi.. Just to report some of my findings... I have tried to put 120mm fan at the side of the video card (lower than the card)... the temp of card just lower by 4-5C... I dont think it is much of the difference though.. wat say u all??...

17. biggerx

biggerx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
    A clean application of some good thermal paste always did the trick for me. My 8800GT would hit 80*C after putting AS5 on it it wouldn't go over 70. Surprisingly I haven't had to do that with my 280 yet. I guess EVGA uses better thermal paste then Apple :D