Need opinion on something

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Sueisfine, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Sueisfine

Sueisfine New Member

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX960 2GB
    Ok, here's the deal. I have a 4870 1GB (Vapor-X model from Sapphire) for about 3 weeks and so far I'm very happy with it's performance.

I tested the card in 3DMark06 and some games and it performed perfectly without a glitch. But last week I decided to run also 3DMark Vantage and all the 4 tests (2 gpu+2 cpu) ran pretty clean and smooth with the exception of a small "thing" that bugged me.

In GPU Test 1, when Jane Nash drives the speedboat out from underneath the cloth cover and you get that nice "cloth draping" effect, I can see some texture corruption in the cloth in the form of a black square block and some flickering around. It seems like there's a square hole in the cloth texture or something and it only lasts for 2-3 seconds, then everything is normal again.

So I got intrigued and temporarily replaced the card with a 4850 that I had at home which I bought last year and that also performed perfectly for all the time I used it.

So I ran Vantage again with my 4850 this time and the same exact thing happened: it ran everything clean and smooth except that 2-3 second cloth part!

So, two different cards doing exactly the same thing in the same place? Can it be the drivers (I used Catalyst 9.4 for both tests)? Did any of you ever saw this "glitch" I mentioned?

I just wanted to ask you guys opinion that i'm not going crazy here and that I can safely conclude it's not a problem from the card(s) itself but instead a software problem :)

Thanks in advance for your comments on this!

2. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    Actually i think the glitch is not with the card but with vantage.

3. oz.iri.zo

oz.iri.zo Member

GPU:
    Powercolor HD 4870 1GB
    Try with another software. I've got no problems with my card so far, except the one with the 2d/3d clocks.

4. ^Son_Gokou08

^Son_Gokou08 Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4850 @780/1200
    it's either a driver issue or like Glidefan said, vantage's glitch