Question to Canadian (Toronto) online gamers.

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Mr_Alexander, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Mr_Alexander

Mr_Alexander Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GYGABYTE 3080ti
    Hi guys.
    I have a question. Got computer, got internet (BELL for now 7mb package). First time decided to try and play online. Started with Call of Duty 2. I noticed most of the players have PING from 25 to 60. Mine is best 75 or higher than 100. Why is that. Should I switch to ROGERS or there is something I can change in settings in my computer. Or maybe the difference between PING 25 and 100 not very notticeble.
    Sorry to put this question on guru but that is the only site I have access at work. Cannot google anything at work. Thank you.

2. Mr_Alexander

GPU:
    GYGABYTE 3080ti
    Moderators of GURU 3D I would like to ask if it is possible to move this thread into Games and gaming forums. I think I will have a better chance that someone have answer for me there. If it is OK can you please move it.

3. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I answered this question in reply to your PM.

Also, make sure that you don't have several routers between you and the modem since the more routers in between the more latency you'll experience.

deltatux

4. Mr_Alexander

GPU:
    GYGABYTE 3080ti
    Thanks again. I got it.

5. Kon$olE

Kon$olE Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070
    While I don't live in Tdot, I do have experience with Rogers. I'm a fan of their internet services, never had a single problem. Not sure if it's offered there, but Aliant is probably the best experience I've ever had.

6. Mr_Alexander

GPU:
    GYGABYTE 3080ti
    Thank you for your reply.

7. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I'm on Rogers and I'm no fan of a small bandwidth cap which I have.

I just wish there was a DSLAM close to me and I'm jumping over to TekSavvy once Bell decides to build a one close by or they route FTTC/FTTH service to where I am.

deltatux

8. anticitizen013

anticitizen013 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x R9 280X CrossFire
    I have Sympatico (I'm not sure which speed since they kept changing their plans and we have had ours for years) and it's very good in games (like CoD4 for instance). I've only had bad experiences with Rogers internet. Every day it would completely go out at 5pm on the dot, then I would have to wait for hours on their terrible customer service line to tell them I hate them :p. Once I switched over I haven't had any significant problems (and all the small ones I had were solved quickly).

As for your situation... either the servers you're joining are far away from you, or something else is causing the connection issue. Perhaps there's a setting in CoD4 that needs to be adjusted? It's been a while since I played so I don't know for sure.

EDIT: Just realized you said CoD2... OLD SCHOOL! Try some newer/different games to see if that is the issue.

9. Mr_Alexander

GPU:
    GYGABYTE 3080ti
    Thanks a lot.