Strange phone call...

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Incognito5000, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Incognito5000

Incognito5000 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 290
    Anybody else had this happen to them?

Second time tonight I got a phone call from this older guy (that refused to give his name) that claimed the police gave him my phone number because they're searching for some guy named Joe <mylastname> regarding false statements and accusations.

For some reason he thinks I'm related to and/or harboring him here...

He was really vague about it but said that he wanted to make sure they have the right information and that they're sending the cops out tomorrow so he was making sure that there was no Joe here...

What do you all make of it?

2. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    I'd just laugh at him and tell him to wise up or you will get the police

also police don't give out numbers to random weridos.

3. fischju

fischju Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek Radeon HD 4850
    Maybe...HE'S A BOUNTY HUNTER

4. tr4l1975

tr4l1975 Guest

GPU:
    sapphire RX480 8GB OC
    scam just to get your personal info. if the police believed you were hiding somebody the police would show up at your door. why would the police have someone else call you(giving you warning they're looking for said person)giving you time to hide them someplace else?

5. Incognito5000

Incognito5000 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 290
    Yah...giving me a heads up on an impending arrest is a bit strange. And did tell him would call the cops on him if he kept calling (no new calls yet so...).

The thing that bothered me was that he seemed so convinced and serious that the cops were gonna come in the morning and arrest me, lol, and that he was doing me a favor by making sure I'm not Joe.

He did give me his phone number btw (traces back to Toronto). Half tempted to call the police and report it but...I'd much rather sleep and do it in the morning.

6. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    I second that. :wanker:

I'd probably just hang up if I don't recognize the guy after two seconds. :wanker:

7. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Ditto.

8. SaltyDog1976

SaltyDog1976 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX-285
    Sounds like someone messing with you or trying to get your information. I wouldn't stress it. Next time hang up or make up a rediculously long story about the guy they're looking for. Have it involve drugs, women, and donkeys.

9. Flopster

Flopster Banned

GPU:
    Club3D 8600GTS 256MB

That all reminds me of the scene from Clercks II:D

10. mx4life

mx4life Member Guru

GPU:
    X1950 Pro 256MB @2032BW
    If that doesn't work! I don't know what will!

But back ontopic. Does the Joe (yourlastname) really exist? Is he really related to you? Or is the guy who's calling you just making this up? If he is just makin it up I wouldn't be worried.

And is your last name a common one?

11. soekev

soekev Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870X2
    I usually don't even answer it if I don't recognize the Caller ID that comes back

12. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    I'd tell him to xxxx off and hang up!

(if he really is genuine he can contact the police who can send u an official letter with a contact number for you to contact the necessary people)

13. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    I had a long conversation the other day with a lady that said I won something she had SOME information about me but after like 20 minutes she asked for my credit card number. At that point I decided NOT to give it to her just in case, I started joking at her but she KEPT asking it was hilarious she had no brain and was like a parrot she could not say anything else than ''what comes after 4530'' (the first four diggits which I told her would be enough to confirm we're talking about the right credit card number) she said she was working with all major credit card company, I was like ''well good for you how about you just ASK them for my effin credit card numbers if you're buddy with them

Anyway did not give out my credit card number, I might not have won a trip to florida but i threatened her life and all she did was keep on asking for my credit card number XD

14. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    maybe hes looking for a freind :eyebrows:

15. Incognito5000

Incognito5000 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 290
    I got that one too once!! Those ones are a bit more fun to play around with since they're much more obvious about what they want.

Anyway, hoping he calls again...I think I could come up with a good donkey story to keep him busy on the phone while I play some BF2.

16. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I would have some unfriendly words for anyone who would call me and say such nonsense.

17. Solinari

Solinari Guest

GPU:
    MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr
    If he has your last name then i am with tr4l1975, this sounds like he is fishing for personal information. I would be very careful and check all your finances today and i would report this to the police because if you end up getting your ID stolen at least you will have some sort of record of something strange and out of the ordinary happening.

Unless of course Joe has been living in your closet for the past year and you haven't noticed yet.