GTX260 55nm shutting down PC w/ mild overclocks?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Tempest261, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Tempest261

Tempest261 Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9-290
    I've been using EVGA precision on my new EVGA 55nm GTX260 (vanilla) and whenever I start up a game my computer shuts off after a couple seconds.

Now, I *never* get any artifacts, or anything, before this happens. I reduced the overclock even further and got a few minutes and it shut off. At stock speeds I'm fine.

My best guess is my power supply, which is a 750 Watt Thermaltake. I only have 2 HDDs connected, 1 optical. It seems fishy to me, but could this card simply be on the borderline of what this PSU can deliver?

Motherboard is a DFI LP DK X48-T2RSB PLUS LGA 775 w/ Core 2 Duo 3.16 GHz.

2. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    that cant be right man. I'm running a gtx 260 c 216 55nm on mine, o/ced Q6600 and 4 sticks of ram, 1hdd, 1 optical drive. I can overclock to 690/1488/1170 and I dont shut down. Technically the insides of our psu's are the same. Id say the card is probably defective. You probably didnt want to hear that but, thats my best guess. Do you have any other card to try? When you start up there shouldnt really be any load on your video card, so, it wouldnt really make any sense if it was the psu. I'm pretty sure a 750 can run a gtx 260 c 216 sli setup. Id setup your rma with evga. If you call them up you can get cross shipping if you ask for free shipping ;-D

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  3. Tempest261

Tempest261 Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9-290
    What brand/model is your PSU? I'm wondering if this PSU simply can't deliver enough current on its two PCI-E rails (it's not that young of a PSU, despite the 750 watt rating).

I sincerely doubt that the card would cause the entire system to shut down. A lockup, freeze, or artifacts- sure. But killing the entire system? I'd be surprised.

4. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I got a xigmatek. Everyone here is it was the same, so I'll go with what they say. You'd be suprised though. I had to rma my gtx 260. I think it was party based on my old psu, but, my top pcie slot got fryed. The thermaltake should be fine to power it, its a good psu. Has the gtx 260 ever worked properly?

5. Tempest261

Tempest261 Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9-290
    Yeah, it works like a champ at stock speeds.

6. viren

viren Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070
    Is it only one particular game which is causing this or is this happening with every game that you play?

7. Tempest261

Tempest261 Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9-290
    Pretty much anything. Takes FarCry 2 and Fallout 3 about 5 seconds. Took CoH a minute or two. Left 4 Dead about 10 seconds. This is all at about 626 MHz.

8. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    you got a GTX260 that can't o'c.

9. viren

viren Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070
    What are the temps of your card on idle desktop mode and gaming?

10. kgb_m3

kgb_m3 Master Guru

GPU:
    2 EVGA 260gtx 216 SSC SLi
    I had exact same problem with my old x1900xtx setup in crossfire, the antec psu, even though was certified for the crossfire, would restart my computer running any benchmarks... Although your psu is 750w, mine is toughpower 700 with 56a on combined 12v rails, 260 requires 36a. Could be defective card, hopefully I don't have issues with mine, just ordered one from newegg in 55nm.

11. contrvlr

contrvlr Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX570HD
    Not even close

12. Homeless

Homeless Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 275
    I assume you unlinked the shaders/core?

13. Tempest261

Tempest261 Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9-290
    No...

14. Tempest261

Tempest261 Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9-290
    Looks like I might be a tad shy:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/fullimage.php?image=5093

15. contrvlr

contrvlr Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX570HD
    Like I said before , not even close. What I meant by that was that your not even close to being "a tad shy" as far as power is concerned.
    The card doesn't require 36 amps, that's the total power recommendation for a system with a GTX260 in it.
    Reread kylzer's post.

16. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    Unlink your core/shaders...

I had the same problem with my 9800gtx+ until I unlinked my shaders. Turns out my shaders barely like going up at all compared to everything else. If I linked the two at all I woudl get random shut downs.

17. kgb_m3

kgb_m3 Master Guru

GPU:
    2 EVGA 260gtx 216 SSC SLi
    According to the Thermaltake website you have 60A rating on the combined 12v rail. That's plenty of power, you can even power a 280gtx no problem. I had an older version of 260gtx that a friend let me borrow so I could play crysis, anyway I had the thing OC'ed to past 700 core with my 700w toughpower and 56A on combined 12v, not a single issue. Can't wait for my 55nm 260 to come in Monday. Either way power is definitely not your problem, unlink the shader like others advised, see what happens.

18. Tempest261

Tempest261 Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9-290
    UPDATE:

I knew this behavior didn't make any sense. Remember- I *never* saw a single artifact.

I dug through my closet and found a much newer OCZ 700 Watt. Not nearly as high of quality PSU but I figured I'd try it. It's loud as crap- but get this: it fixed the problem. I've been running at 626(linked)/1050 for the past few days and haven't had a single loss of power. I have no clue what's wrong with the Thermaltake 750 watt- but you guys were right- spec for spec it should work fine.

However, it sometimes it pays to be stubborn :)