GTX 295 strange performance @ WOW

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by cfalci, Mar 25, 2009.

1. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    well my game used to run at 60 fps all the time until wotlk came out. it started running a little slower but nothing too upsetting. 40-60ish. one setting i did have to change was the shadows. dosent matter what settings everything else are on, if shadows are at max, my frames are dogging down hard. turn shadows off and gameplay is 40-60ish :) play with it, ya never know.

2. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Led is correct. CPU clock will have a big effect on fps in WoW. I have witnessed this a zillion times. You will get bigger gains in fps by oc'n the cpu over the gpu (as long as you have a somewhat decent gpu to begin with of course).

And WoW really loved my i7 upgrade. I had a Quad Xeon at 3.8ghz before. When I upgraded to i7 at 4ghz, my WoW frames went up on an average of about 15-20fps.

3. SaGeUvAgOnY

SaGeUvAgOnY Member Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA GeForce 9600GT 51
    I've always ran WoW at MAX EVERYTHING settings possible. I play at 1680x1050 resolution (max my monitor can support) and I've always played WoW with SLI enabled. I HAVE to cap my FPS at 60 with vsync because if not, then the FPS is at around 130-200 FPS, then causing screen tearing when ever I ride a fast mount.

One day, one of my 9600's died and had to send it out for RMA. So I was stuck using only 1 9600 until the new one arrived. When I loaded up WoW and started playing, I immediately noticed that the game ran SO MUCH smoother with just 1 single card and STILL at max everything settings. NEVER a single damn stutter at ALL. Ever since then, I've always played wow in non-sli mode. Just wanted to share my experience.

4. cfalci

cfalci Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 295
    Here is my feedback.

Im upgraded to the latest drivers, changed to single GPU.

Im still getting 14-60 FPS with vsync on. And i dont even have everything set to max.

I just dont get it. With 1 GPU on, wasnt the same thing that if i had a GTX 260? So why the poor performance?

Im serious, my old 7600 did a better job.

BTW i have a spare GTX 295. I changed with the other one, still the same thing.

Doubts:

• Im using windows 7 64 beta. Should i switch to Vista?
    • I tried with both NVIDIA w7 beta driver and the vista latest stable driver. No changes at all.
    • I run every other games with no problem. COD_WAW with everything to max is more than 90 FPS.
    • Im using NVIDIA default profile for WoW, with single GPU.

Im very frustrated. I thought "wow will be cake for this monster", and im getting a ridiculous performance.

Anyone with similar spec got a good performance?

Yes, i understand old cards are doing great. But that doesnt help me. I wanna know if anyone with a GTX295 is running at full everything with solid 60 fps anywhere in the game.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009

5. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    try to use nhancer and force sli. so far i found the 185.26 worked the best for me...

if that doesnt work...dunno what else to suggest.

as i said mmo'os can be picky. stopped playing warhammer online due to flickering textures.

way i see it if they can sort out their game to work with the latest gpu's i am not gonna pay for it simple.

pc gaming has really gone downhill atm. 2 many games are realeased that have compat issues re drivers etc etc..sli...and it seems more and more u have to fiddle around till you get the kind of performance u want.

i wont ever pre-order games now. and will always check forums and reviews (which are mostly utter bs) first.

6. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Hey...my card's not old! And as I mentioned, my FPS went up noticeably after my i7 upgrade.

It could be a Win 7 thing. I run WoW on Vista 64 with great fps...1680x1050, every slider cranked, with AA etc.

7. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    why don't you try OCing that 920? You can easily hit 3.5ghz with decent air cooling.

8. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    that will help u def! make sure u are feeding the beast as it were.:eek:

9. Vxheous

Vxheous Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 X
    My GTX 295 helped alot in Dalaran......constant 60 fps now there during peak hours as well.

10. bokah

bokah Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    its old game if u disable advanced shadows added on wotlk

i played tbc with 1300duron and gf4, mostly smoothie if one dosnt mind 4-18fps
    (only upgraded 256mb to 1.5Gb ddr to get it playable)

11. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    I think site such as this great one need to start doing some reviews on MMO's, Toms did one many many moons ago on WOW, and [H] used AOC for some time.
    But Im thinking more along the lines of full video card and CPU review would be hot, Im sure alot of the player base would love to see what gear makes there fav game run the best.

12. Allergy

Allergy New Member

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 295

Hey, i got the same problem. Im running a i7 920 @ 2.66, 6gb ddr3 1600mhz ram, eVGA gtx 295 and vista 64bit. I also got 2 velociraptors 10k rpm in raid 0. My fps are shocking. Dalaran 30ish, SW 40ish. Even darkshore is running at 45-50fps, shocking for a starting area. My latency is usually 450-550. Everything on max xcept shadows and distance (1/2). 1920x1050 rez. I know ppl are running at 60fps, unless theyr lying to me. I feel depressed, lol.

WoW forums say that turning off aero, disabling one gpu and running full screen solvs the problem, however, it doesnt for me. One user said running windows 7 with win7 nvidia drivers pushed his fps to 400+ (he provided screenshot for icecrown), but it looked like his rez was low. And ur using win7 and having the same problems so this might not be an option either.

Please help. My options are 1) cry myself to sleep every night for money well spent, 2) solve the problem, 3) forget about playing games

13. bokah

bokah Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    try other sli modes

14. oMek

oMek Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 @ 1100/1600
    ive never owned a 295.. but i did own a 4870x2 (currently in my pc) and it sucks for wow. good frame rates at times, really bad at others. sometimes its a slide show.

i sold the 4870x2 and bought a gtx285. hope it makes me happy :p

15. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    Any one who tells you they get 60fps with full max settings AA/AF and ingame settings in Dalaran @ prime time is lieing no one does.
    Its the game.
    Now I can get as high as 220fps in some places, but I still like Vsync much better.

Good news is today 3.1 hits, and if they keep it like the PRT the engine runs much smoother with shadows on, and they added a higher setting.

16. Allergy

Allergy New Member

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 295
    Hey, what areas are u getting 220fps in? I dont think mine would manage that anywhere.
    Im pretty pissed off, dunno what to do.
    Cant really go return a card cuz it cant play wow,....can i?
    Win boots in 10secs, other games are sweet i think (only got fallout 3 and the new C&C).

WoW forums say its the processor, some say latency, some say its wow, some say its sli, ughhh!!!

Im getting buyers remorse......or something close to it.

17. Allergy

Allergy New Member

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 295
    I cant beleive it

18. Allergy

Allergy New Member

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 295
    Hey, do u think i can OC the 2.66 to 3.2/3.5 using the coolermaster v10? http://www.coolermaster.com/products/product.php?act=detail&id=6074

I got it thinking i was gonna overclock it, but seeing the startup times and overall specs, i decided to hold off. The wow situation is making me reconsider

Thanks

19. Treble557

Treble557 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX295/8800gtx physx
    I just feel that I should add my 2 cents here. :)

You can see in my profile what my rig is, and currently if I even try to use windows mode wow with both gpu's enabled, it locks up the entire computer. I have to go into single core mode, or put wow in just normal full screen mode.

Also, I get about 30-40 fps in dalaran with this computer atm, with it all nice and maxed out at 1920 res.
    Oddly enough though, even if I lower the settings, the FPS doesn't seem to actually go up! It's static for some reason. I'm not sure why, but the game behaves very oddly.

I talked to the blizz techs about all this, and they said my FPS at those settings for wow even with this hardware were great!
    Great... yeah. I pay 2,600 for a comp to get a "great" 30-40 fps in a 6 year old game. rofl.

Oh well, atleast there's AO to look foward to with it's new engine! It'll love this new hardware. :)

20. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    I would get the V8, it performs better than the V10 and is much cheaper.

And these coolers should easily allow you to get into 3.5ghz range with a good 920.