Asrock 939 Dual SATAII and Vista

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by W@w@Y, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Joebear55

Joebear55 Active Member

GPU:
    Xfire:Asus 5770+XFX 5770
    Hi,

I think you are on the right track by manually setting the memory timings, but you need to disable the flexibility option otherwise it drops the speed down a notch or two. You may have to set memory at the timings that the Crutial likes as they have the looser timings of the two sets. But I'm sure if I remember correctly you will have to do it manually.

2. tr4l1975

tr4l1975 Guest

GPU:
    sapphire RX480 8GB OC
    disable spread sprectrum, disable flexibility option, set all your timings manually, with both of those enable, they will automaticaly reduce your ram to lower than what you set, I had those enabled on my dual-vsta(almost the same board) and that dropped my ram to 133mhz. and no the flexibilty option won't adjust the timings for you, it will only adjust the divider, I just tried that method yesterday and failed. you'll have to set timings manually to match the looser timings.

3. steffan72

steffan72 Member

GPU:
    Gf 6800GT 256m AGP
    thanx for the advice all

This is my afternoon results

i disabled spread spectrum and flexibility option.
    Set the timings manually as per the crutial ram (3-4-4-10 as is on the ram sticks)

Dropped the multiplier back to 9 and the Htt up to 250.

Runs without a hitch.

Took the crutial out and put the geil in at same settings and runs real nice also. Will not shut down though. Goes throught the motions and shuts the monitor down but everything else keeps goin.

Tried it at factory settings for the cpu (10 x 200) with all the memory and the suggested tweaks and it would not get past post. Comes up with a message saying CHECK NVRAM.

Decided the memory sticks dont like each other so i will just stick with the crutial.

4. steffan72

steffan72 Member

GPU:
    Gf 6800GT 256m AGP
    I was thinking i might try dropping the memory speed down to 166 to see if it will let me run all 4 sticks that way. The addition of 1 gig memory must offset the loss in bandwidth of running them at a lower speed. I would be able to tighten up the timings as well which would help claw back some of the bandwidth too.

will check it out tonight.

5. tr4l1975

tr4l1975 Guest

GPU:
    sapphire RX480 8GB OC
    taken directly form the guide to ram by wildstyle What Happens If I Fill All Four Slots On My A64 939 System?
    Unfortunately you'll encounter a flaw in the A64's memory controller. Bear in mind that 400MHz @ 1T is ideal.

Newcastle/Clawhammer/Winchester: 333MHz/2T (Single sided/Double sided - No difference.)

Venice/San Diego: 400MHz/1T (If single sided) 400MHz/2T (If double.)

There is a link in this guide somewhere which benches 1T vs. 2T BTW.

Also, and this may be obvious to some, but the mem controller's gonna have a hard time overclocking four modules simultaneously.

It is better to go for 2x1GB than for 4x512MB. it's in the general hardware forum stickied at the top.

6. steffan72

steffan72 Member

GPU:
    Gf 6800GT 256m AGP
    Hi there

Can i just clarify something. Is this saying that if i want to run 4 sticks on my Winchester core i need to set the memory speed at 333/2T

Cheers

Stef

7. tr4l1975

tr4l1975 Guest

GPU:
    sapphire RX480 8GB OC
    it means you can use any divider you want, but you won't be able to run the optimum 1T setting which would offer slightly better performance. read this if you haven't already http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=95128

also please fill in your specs so we know what you have and that we may be better able to assist you.

8. steffan72

steffan72 Member

GPU:
    Gf 6800GT 256m AGP
    hi there

Thanx for your patience with my questions and problems.

I am currently running 2T on the memry timings but am still havin absolutely no joy running with all 4 modules installed.

I think i may haveto face the fact that the board simply does not want to run the two different brands of memory.

On a slightly different note. Does anyone have any idea why sometimes when i shut it down it does not finish shutting down. The monitor turns off (gets no signal) but the PSU and fans keep going.

Stef

9. tr4l1975

tr4l1975 Guest

GPU:
    sapphire RX480 8GB OC
    try running your rig at stock settings(no overclock at all) set bios settings to auto except for ram speed set that to 200, keep flexibility option to disabled as well as spread spectrum to disabled. If you can boot and shut down properly then you may have an unstable overclock. what kind of a powersupply(PSU) do you have? there should be a label on it somewhere. Fogot to add, make sure all your drivers and bios are up to date. in my case, with my dual-vsta I noticed I had to install the nvidia graphics drivers FIRST, then install the board drivers, completely backwards from the instruction manual. I would have boot and shutdown problems without doing it this way.You may also want to try running checkdisk to make sure your hard drive has no errors on it. I would also advise running an antivurus program, a spyware program, and an adware program to make sure you don't have nasty things on your computer. Spybot S&D, AVG Free, and ADAWARE, are all good programs and last I checked are all free.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2007
  10. steffan72

steffan72 Member

GPU:
    Gf 6800GT 256m AGP
    hi there

thanx for your suggestions. It seems to have sorted itself out. I found that it was the first shutdown after a change in a bios setting that it was causing a problem. If i shut it down and started it up again without changing anything in the bios then it is fine.

These things are here to test us i guess.

11. tr4l1975

tr4l1975 Guest

GPU:
    sapphire RX480 8GB OC
    ok, glad to here it.

12. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    anyone here thinking of buying the AM2 daughterboard if they upgrade to AM2? or would you rather buy a new mobo?

13. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    I already bought one and it's waiting when i want to upgrade to AM2.

I still hope that ASRock will provide newer bios'es within the near future.

14. tr4l1975

tr4l1975 Guest

GPU:
    sapphire RX480 8GB OC
    I'm actually looking at getting rid of this board for a DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR Expert Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard. So when I do go am2 I will most likely buy a new board.

15. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600GS 256mb / Radeon 9550 32mb
    You better get the AM2 board fast. No telling how much longer it will be for sale. NCIX isn't even selling the 939Dual-VSTA anymore.

I hear the AM2 performance is pretty lackluster. Not that the performance sucks, but it's just not as good as using a pure AM2 board.

As for Vista, I've run Windows XP Home, Ubuntu x64, and OSx86 Project on this board. Even though ASRock released the Vista "certified" 939Dual-VSTA, that was really just a marketing gimik. Vista should run fine.

16. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    from the looks of it though, the AM2 board may rip the slot off the mobo..:) it looks heavy (with the cooler in place) does it have any support/brackets?

17. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    Has anyone been having network issues, where you have to sleep the computer in order to see the internet?

(I know this thread is old as dirt, but maybe someone knows something I don't)

18. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    My gf has my old 939 DS2 comp and has this specs:

AMD A64 X2 3800+ @ 2.5Ghz
    2GB PC3500 CAS2.5 BH-5
    Ati HD3870 512MB
    500GB IDE HDD (16MB)
    Creative Audigy 1, since the onboard died on that board.
    OS: Vista Ultimate 64 and she's having no problems with it.

Everything works just fine for her and she's satisfied. At first there were problems with her webcam (Logitech QuickCam Zoom) which wasn't supported in Vista, but i got that to work in Vista as well with a small inf mod.

What is your low end cpu? Is it single or dual core? If it's DC, then you're good. If it's SC, then i'm not sure about the performance.

EDIT: Ohhh.. wait.... grave digging.... :bang:

@ above:

The onboard LAN works just fine on my gf's system. No disconnections there and also none when i was still using that pc.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  19. samusaran1

samusaran1 Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT 710/1970
    I hate to bump a 2 year old thread but is there anyway I could get someone to PM me a site to download vista drivers for this board?