TJ07 Stealth. Watercooled

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Mark, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Mark

Mark Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870
    Hi guys, ive got a small update. Ive updated my hardware over the weekend. Ive Now got an Asus Rampage Extreme, QX9650 @ 4.1GHz and G-Skill PI DDR3. Ive also finished my cable management courtesy of Alec**.

[​IMG]

Will post more pics and some performance results over the next few days

2. retrogamer1990

retrogamer1990 Member

GPU:
    Ati 4870x2 @800/1000
    so, have the pump vibrations driven you to insanity too? :D

just one word really

[​IMG]

3. Mark

Mark Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870
    nope, the pump is totally silent. Really pleased with this setup. Only thing i really need to do is change all my fans for yate loon. That should tone down the fan noise a bit.

4. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Nice job! I'm planning on getting some of those fans for my case!

5. PHaS3

PHaS3 New Member

GPU:
    Radeon 4850 512MB OC
    Mark, dude... in the image of your SATA HDD's on the Rig of the Month page 2, you still have the jumper on the drives that limits them to 150mb/s transfer rate. You may wanna remove that jumper..... Just a suggestion :)

6. Alec**

Alec** Maha Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 5850 1GB H²0
  7. .Rain

.Rain Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870
    Your rig is pure gold man. Congrats on the ROTM

8. Mark

Mark Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870
    FTW on Mr Eagle eye lol. Will take that off now. Well spotted.

Thanks for the comments guys :p im really pleased with this rig. Best one ive built to date

9. RKOver

RKOver Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 @ 900MHz
    That reservoir looks awesome. Where did you get it?

10. Fofal

Fofal Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    It's SOOO hard to take them out :S
    I have to deal with it every day at work.

11. Mark

Mark Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870
    Its an XSPC 250mm Alu res. I bought it here

12. RKOver

RKOver Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 @ 900MHz
    Before you mounted it on your tray, did you do any modding first or not? If not then I'll get that one. If you did mod it to mount it then I'll get the XSPC eyeball dual bay reservoir.

13. pentastar111

pentastar111 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 285's (SLI)
    Very clean build. Good job.

14. Grieg

Grieg New Member

GPU:
    Build in progress
    Thank you very much for posting your build, and congrats on the Rig of the Month award!

I too am building a WC'd TJ07 case. Those cathode switches and wiring mods are top notch! I think I'll be looking into similar for my setup.

A few questions, if you don't mind -

How is your lower radiator mounted? Bolted in, or just resting on the bottom? I didn't quite see how you had it placed in there.

Also, what type of HDD mounts are those?

Thanks in advance.

Grieg

15. Mark

Mark Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870
    All i had to do was drill 2 holes for the hinge on the bottom of the res so it can swing out to make filling easier.

Thanks for the comments. Im really pleased with the switches. The AC Ryan cold cathodes have smaller switches compared to many others i have seen. The HDD mounts are Nexus Anti Vibration mounts. Also my rad is resting on the bottom but held in place by the tubing.

16. Avatar_raq

GPU:
    Evga GTX 780 Ti SC
    Ram

Nice build there..But I noticed that your previous ram was water cooler ready from OCZ, did you plan to cool them by water? Why didn't you do that? And why did you replace them? (you could have replaced your mobo with a DDR2 one to keep them)
    I like the idea of cooling all the components by water

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  17. Mark

Mark Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870
    I wanted to go with DDR3. My previous setup only had 2GB mem too. I know i could have bought another 2GB but i had the chance to buy the MB, RAM and CPU bundle at a good price. Also the Rampage Extreme is a slightly better MB than the Rampage Formula.

18. liguhy

liguhy Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
    Resevoir debate.

I'm going to buy a TJ07 for some watercooling and have the XSPC 250 Passive radiator has really caught my attention, but so has the Koolance Inline Resevoir(http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=24986).

I'll mostly likely mount the reservoir where you did on the motherboard tray, or I saw another build log where they made brackets attached to the 5.25 bay rails to mount two EK reservoirs with DD fillports modded in the case straight above and next to the tj07's top fan grill.
    I like the brackets best, but I would have to find a way to make them or mod something to make it work and I have limited power tools.

Maybe now you can see my quandary - Koolance's would be perfect for the fillport, monitoring coolant levels, and multiple connector fitting options. but it doesn't have a intake tube.

I really like the XSPC Reservoir, but it's like they forgot to make an equally innovative (or like Koolance's Inline) top and bottom to the aluminum chamber :bang:. I believe the raised input tube to prevent bubbles and prevent the warm water from just getting pulled back into the loop is an important feature all reservoirs should have.

To fix the XSPC Reservoir, how easy would it be to drill and mount a connector to the acrylic top for tubing to a fillport installed on top of the case? If it's possible, I could then never have to remove the reservoir (I'm confused on how exactly drilling holes would make it swing out - pictures please?). I'm also buying a Scythe KAMA BAY to have a 120mm fan mounted in 3 unused 5.25 bays for an intake - this would work perfectly to also cool the XSPC Reservoir very effectively.

To fix the Koolance Inline Reservoir, is there a way I could mount a tube to the intake fitting connector that is screw-in or somewhat professional-looking so I don't have to just glue one on there?

Hope I didn't overload you or anyone thinking about answering this!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  19. Mark

Mark Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870
    Hi mate. My res has been fixed to a small cabinet hinge at the base. I drilled 2 holes in the MB tray the fixed the hinge to it then the bottom bracket is bolted to the hinge.

As for drilling into the top of the XSPC res, that would depend on your modding skills. You would need 2 drill and thread your own hole to fit a barb in the top. It was something i had considered myself but i was worried about cracking the top.

20. liguhy

liguhy Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
    you wouldn't have any detail pictures would you? I know how the bracket itself holds the reservoir (horshoe shaped with a long screw to squeeze tight around reservoir) and attaches to the case, but I'm interested on how you implemented the small cabinet hinge.

I imagine if you clamp well, tape it up, and go slow with a quality bit, you could do just fine drilling the hole since the top is just acrylic. After that, a little teflon tape would seal a more permanent and somewhat water-tight top. There isn't some barb/fitting that screws tight like the fillports do for adding to a case? I'd be dumbfounded if something like that hasn't been created.