8 gigs ram...is it worth it?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by dshramek, Mar 19, 2009.

1. dshramek

dshramek Guest

So, I found a great deal on 4 gigs(2x 2gig) ocz reapers ...I already have 4 gigs of reapers. would 8 gigs just be overkill? would it benefit me in any way or would I be flushing money down the crapper? I use Vista 64 bit. I know it will see all 8 gigs, but would it actually ever use it?

2. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Most people never need 8 GB but that's really up to you. Right now, 4GB is enough, but it's really up to you.

deltatux

3. dipanzan

dipanzan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX460 OC 1GB
    RAM hungry programmes u'd definitely like it

4. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    yeah... more ram isn`t gonna hurt at all........

5. tHe_HyBrId

tHe_HyBrId Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6950 (Unlocked)
    Getting another 4gb of RAM could affect your overclock a fair bit.. as your RAM timings will go from 1T to 2T..

So, you might want to consider whether you like your overclock how it is or whether you're willing to let your overclock possibly take a hit from the timings change and also greater load on the memory controller..

HyBrId

6. Aquinus

Aquinus Member

GPU:
    2x AMD 6870
    I just got a set of 4x2GiB sticks of DDR2-800 by OCZ. It works wonders, but everyone is right. As of current you will never fill up this ram. The closest I got was 5Gb usage (I'm running Server 2008 Enterprise x64) and that was copying some 1080p video over Gigabit Ethernet. Rumor has it that you can actually disable your page file without an issue with that much ram though. I've yet to try it. Make sure you motherboard supports 2Gb sticks at what ever speed you buy it. My Intel 975x chipset didn't run them, so I had to buy a new board (I ended up getting a lot more while I was at it though. :p)

7. salanos

salanos Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX980 4GB (Ref.)
    Yeah, 8GB is supposedly able to disable paging file.
    I myself bought 4x 2048MB Kingston DDR2-800 4-4-4-12 sticks, since I'm going to do some pretty big content creation.
    Doesn't hurt to have more RAM.

8. Aquinus

Aquinus Member

GPU:
    2x AMD 6870
    Nice processor and ram. ;)

9. Iarwain

Iarwain Banned

GPU:
    4890 990//1120
    I saw a nice comfort level increase going from 4 to 6, but I don't think I get nearly the same from 6 to 8. Unless you're doing really RAM hungry stuff, like heavy photoshop or similar projects, I would skip on it, 4GB is enough for any game, even 64 bit games.

10. dshramek

dshramek Guest

my ram timings are at 2T now, also, I had to drop my ram from 1066 to 1000 to get stable @ 4Ghz...So the 8 gigs would be a heavier load on the memory controller?

11. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    I would say yes ONLY if the ram that you are getting is really cheap. You might notice a slight difference in speed (increase or a slowdown depending on settings.)

12. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Running 2*2 gb in Vista x64, I haven't ever used a pagefile. I've played video games with Vuze running in background...never had a memory issue.

13. dshramek

dshramek Guest

45 bucks for 2x 2 gig sticks ocz reapers ddr2 1066....? plus a 20 dollar rebate.

14. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    $40..... ??? uhm yeah i would get it myself if i had the money right now. Yeah that is definatelly a deal.

15. viren

viren Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070
    4gb extra ram for what? gaming?applications?media processing?

16. dshramek

dshramek Guest

I was leaning more towards the "just because I can" reasoning...lol

17. viren

viren Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070
    Then yes, you can can can. Although its a waste of money consider an after market cpu and gpu cooler or sound card.