Cryostasis: The Sleep of Reason

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by krisha, Sep 4, 2008.

1. itsmikey76

itsmikey76 Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor RX5700xt
    Is this game out in the states yet? I really want this game.

2. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    May not be the best comparison, but I can play Fear 2 with the specs to the left at 1900x1200 No aa, AFx16 with default clocks, all settings maxed and its smooth as I could ask for. then I turn on Cryostasis and can't get it up past 30fps for very long.
    Considering that Fear 2 looks better to me, I don't even know what to think of Cryostasis and its performance.. for I second I thought I was losing my mind! Surely Cryostasis would play better than Fear 2 I thought. All I can say is that's pretty poor optimization..

3. chaotic1

chaotic1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PowercolorHD6970 2GB dead
    tbh the gfx look poor for a vista only game

4. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Vista only? game supports shader model 3.0 as well (DX9) and works just fine under XP albeit SM 4.0 (DX10) does look a bit nicer though at a drop in performance.

5. UnrealGaming

UnrealGaming Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Just started Cryostasis on dx10 . ( already finished it once on XP. Great story and amazing ice melting, water and smoke effects ( never seen before ) )
    Some screenshots. Settings and beginning of the game.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  6. StreeTunder

StreeTunder Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870 1024Mb
    poor optimization yes, but what is causing the bad performance is the physix effects....

7. cjs007

cjs007 Maha Guru

GPU:
    E.V.G.A. 460 / 1gig
    So far so good.....like it and will use it for my next bench tool for my next upgrade....in 3 months!!!!!!:banana:

Getting a 26" samsung LCD....2 Nvdia 260's in SLI....and intel i7....To drive it.....:banana:

These i7's are God sent....

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  8. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    i bought it from www.direct2drive.com last Saturday. its available world wide . shame there is no gamepad support :( game is slow so a gamepad fits good.

9. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    The boxed version of the game I have supports the wireless Xbox 360 controller as I've been playing the game that way. You just have to configure the controls to use it that's all. It's not great though but it does work.

The game, sadly, isn't very good. It's just a repetitive, empty trawl from one box-like room to another with little in the way of atmosphere or action. The graphics are also disappointing IMO and nowhere near as impressive as the tech demo suggested they would be. Performance is horrible too on my setup with everything maxed at 1680x1050 (my PC should be running it with ease as I got 55 fps with the tech demo). It feels sluggish and chuggy throughout despite the fact that the rooms are small and there's little going on in them.

Very disappointing really.

10. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    boxed version with gamepad support? interesting.damn...anyway i tried my xbox360 gamepad and cant make it work..lol

and u know, u r right about the game..game doesnt looks as good as CRYSIS and it runs not good optimized..and when u think about just CLOSED INTERIORS, it becomes more stupid about the hardware requirements. i just love the game atmosphere..and the pricing is just fine with the game..a 49.99 would be awfull.

11. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    LOL the game has got terrible graphics hope the gameplay better than that smush and wtf is up with the awful hand animation on the rifle looks like their goin for the ol' far cry 2 dodgey animation effect. Omg try and make objects a little more rounded that pipe looks like something from playstation 1.

12. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    hehe lol..i thnk the unoptimized shaders r the reason why this game runs NOT AWESOME. i must accept that shaders r AWESOME in this game..and the physx r cool...is that true Physx r only available when u run SM 4.0 aka Dx10 only?

13. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    For the Russian version the 1.1 patch improved DX10/SM4.0 with enhanced physics interactions for things like particles and water but I don't think it makes any major differences to the game.

Running the game on ATI hardware will also affect performance as the title is optimized towards NVIDIA and as for PhysX it'll run via the CPU (Albeit not to the same extent.) instead of GPU accelerated.

Framerate is pretty low on the benchmark map ("Map benchmark" in the console) but the game itself runs pretty good as of a recent ATI driver update (9.3 I think, also seems that bug where DX10 caused visual corruption unless you moved the gamma slider - thanks to whoever figured that out by the way, running it windowed really hits the framerate - is now properly solved although framerate could be better.)

Good game overall though a bit confusing at times, story and such for example can be hard to follow. (It's explained in the manual however and the rest you figure out as you play.)

EDIT: Nearly forgot, English version is based upon the 1.1 patched code.

14. cjs007

cjs007 Maha Guru

GPU:
    E.V.G.A. 460 / 1gig
    The reason this games a system hog is because of all the effects that are in this game...Yes, more than Crysis...

Look at Crysis there are beautiful objects but no weather effects....like in Stalker.

Look at how much your frames drop when there's smoke in games.

If there were these kind of effects in Crysis we would be getting 5 fps..

Cryostasis just has lots of effects going on..so i don't think it's as much bad optimization as it is effects..

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  15. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070

16. cjs007

cjs007 Maha Guru

GPU:
    E.V.G.A. 460 / 1gig
    I like this story too...
    This game is wild...

God are these some cool effects.:)

Lowered my resolution from 1680/1050 to 1024/768 and getting good frames... amazingly it's not blurry...and looks like it's still in widescreen 16:10..:)

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  17. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    man the game looks like a pos

18. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Dont knock it till you've tried it...

19. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    Tried the demo on XP, so shader 3, and no advanced physx, seemed to lack all of the cool stuff in the videos and screenshots. Confirmed when I saw it at a buddies house on the Win7 beta, the dx9 version has no water, and that is pretty much the games only physx that set apart from the others, so I'm passing until I get Win7.

20. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Tried the demo.

I love the frozen look of everything, being able to travel into a person past and change what they did to clear your own path is pretty cool.

But, as mentioned above, the lack of water in WinXP, brain dead enemy AI and absolutely horrid performance.... this is one to watch. To watch and see if patches can fix it and make it into what it should have been.