Accelero Xtreme 280 on gtx285

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Chunter, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Chunter

Chunter Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 285 in Sli
    Images of my card here

the cooler was the hardest cooler i've ever had to install,damn spacers that wouldn't stay put plus its "designed" for a 285gtx as well but the supplied heat sinks are for 260's or 280's , what with having to go to the local pc shop and cadge some random blue heat sinks off of them it took me 3 hours to fit that behemoth.
    Haven't got the card in yet,thats tomorrows task...just letting the heatsink tape and the gpu paste cure overnight.

the instructions may as well of been in chinese for all the good they did me...

Size comparison
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  2. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    I have been waiting for the 280 aftermarket coolers for ages!! Let me know what the temps/noise are like once you have it up and running.

3. yes plz post results and noise levels. A couple of my friends are waiting for the 4870x2 release of this cooler...

4. Chunter

Chunter Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 285 in Sli
    running it at 1500 rpm ,low temps on everest sidebar..ie what i'm at now,high temp of 45 degrees,overall very impressed.
    only real downside was the getting it ready to even get near my pc and having to remove my thermalright NB cooler.
    [​IMG]

much much better than the standard cooler.
    Oh and noise ? what noise ?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009

5. jststojc

jststojc Maha Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte gtx285
    humm, did you buy the acceler0 280 on which it states compatible with 285? because if you did so than this is just that they dont supply heatsinks for the components ... wanted to get me one of these but if i would ahve same problems as you had it aint worth to me ..

6. Chunter

Chunter Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 285 in Sli
    yep "compatible" is what it states,i've emailed my results and photos to arctic cooling to see if they reply or change anything.like i've said pain to fit but tbh worth it.

7. Selo

Selo Member

GPU:
    XFX GTX295
    you said you had to remove you thermalright cooler?

i have a 120 extreme one, but dont want to remove it if i want to get one of these for my gpu :/

8. WaLshy11

WaLshy11 Member

GPU:
    XFX nVidia 260 GTX BE
    Hmm ive been looking at this for my card..
    Ive got a XFX 260 GTX Black Edition and want to push it further..

This will fit on the BE c/d? (Not sure if there is any diff size wise between 260 and 260 BE)

9. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    He said his northbridge cooler, your cpu cooler should be fine.

10. Chunter

Chunter Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 285 in Sli
    i had the Thermalright HR-05 IFX SLI northbridge cooler on
    [​IMG]

since removing it i haven't noticed any temp rise on the MB which i believe is because the gpu cooler blows air directly over it now.
    Played Tom Clancys HAWX on full last night and my temps rose to 53 degrees,however we had our wood burning stove on so the ambient temperature was higher.
    Only thing that got noisier last night was my psu ,it changes the fan speed with the workload , and due to the 285 needing 2 gpu power cables instead of one was working its poor little "backside" off,but that obviously will be different to other peoples psu,methinks i'm gonna get a zalman 750 soon (pc is in front room and missus hates the noise)

overall worth the hassle,will be interesting to see if arctic cooling come out with either a reply to my e mail or an "upgraded" version of the cooler seeing as its "compatible".

@ Walshy.the supplied instructions are for 260's and 280's,should fit fine....but as with everything you won't know until you try or find someone who's already fitted it to a 260.

11. WaLshy11

WaLshy11 Member

GPU:
    XFX nVidia 260 GTX BE
    No worries, thanks.

Ill give it a shot and if it doesnt fit (im assuming it will since it says its work 260) I can easily palm it off to a mate :p

12. St. bluedrop

St. bluedrop Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 570 TFIII@950MHz
    I want this damn cooler so bad, the stock one really sucks on GTX 280.
    But it's so darn expensive, why can't nvidia just make really good coolers for such expensive cards.

13. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    My card idles at 47ish with the fan at 50% and under load is usually around 54-55 (60-61 in ATI tool's stress test) with the fan at 100% with the current overclock listed in my specs. Unlike the 4870's stock heatsink this one seems rather effective. Do you think with those temps it's worth my time getting an Accelero?
    Believe me it's waaaay better than what's on the 4870, I've had both, trust me.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  14. Chunter

Chunter Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 285 in Sli
    Neo in your case i'd get it for the lower fan speed \ quieter noise,having a standard fan at 100% must be like standing on an aircraft carrier as all the planes take off. :)
    Even though i had issues getting it on i'd recommend it to anyone.

15. jststojc

jststojc Maha Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte gtx285
    neo has the gtx 280 card so it wont be a problem for him getting the cooler on

16. anub1s18

anub1s18 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX2070S /WC
    i got this cooler today and i gota say...... it fricking sux ... mainly becouse i cant install it on my gfx card :(

got a MSI geforce GTX260 and i just cannot get it on there.

voltage heatsink wont stay, the 2 ram heatsink's wont stay and the backplate seems to always be lose at 1 end : / and i had to "edit" the cooler so that it wouldnt hit the svideo-out.

now i gota find out where to get some thermal pads and some thermal adhesive becouse nothings sticky anymore : /

the included thermalpads have stopped beeing sticky enough to hold the heatsinks after i had to take the heatsink of once and same go's for the ram heatsinks and backplate : /

Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  17. Chunter

Chunter Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 285 in Sli
    i used arctic coolings cleaning kit,the one with the two bottles, then used a pencil eraser on all of the chips and they have all stayed put....however i heated the whole card up with a hairdrier to make the tape more "sticky" as well.

18. anub1s18

anub1s18 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX2070S /WC
    i just cleaned it with some.... stuff, dont know the english name for it but it's pretty strong and always worked well with cpu's, and i also went over the chips with a eraser, didnt heat up the card with a hairdrier though.... might try that next time :p

it's to bad inno 3d isnt sold anywhere in the country or i'd just buy the GTX260 with a accelero extreme 280 preinstalled : /

it's my first time replacing a vga cooler and... im shure it shortend my life span :p

19. Chunter

Chunter Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 285 in Sli
    i find it weird that its supposed to be for 260's and 280's but yet doesn't fit your 260 "out of the box" ...have Arctic Cooling boo booed ?