I'm fed up!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by David Lake, Mar 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Lake

David Lake Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan V watercooled
    Go back to page 3.

2. David Lake

David Lake Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan V watercooled
    Bus width = 64 (DDR bus width per module) x #Channels

3. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Marley: there's a difference though. We were confused, and learned from those who knew. We weren't confused, and tried to change what was already known.

David: yeah.... and thank you for agreeing with us on the bandwidth benefits of running in dual channel or triple channel. I'm just REALLY hoping you still don't seriously think that the manufacturers need to start calling DDR3 2000 kits DDR3 3000 or DDR3 6000 kits because of your previously several-times-pointed-out incorrect assumption that the increased performance from running in dual or triple channel also affects the frequency of the memory in any way, shape, or form.

4. Marley

Marley Don José Cuervo

GPU:
    eVGA Geforce 275 GTS
    Ok look at what you said that 2Ghz dual channel kit each chip is doing 1Ghz. So technically this is correct, but you have it wrong. Even if you have one chip it still does 2Ghz effective, 1Ghz actual. So lets step down to a 1.6Ghz module. 1.6Ghz effective and 800Mhz actual. In a dual channel setup each chip does 1.6Ghz eff and 800Mhz actual, in a tripple channel setup each chip does 1.6Ghz eff and 800Mhz actual. You will not change the operating frequency of the modules, you will however get this:
    Single channel: each cycle 2 transfers
    Dual channel: each cycle 4 transfers
    Triple channel: each cycle 6 transfers

In triple channel there are 3 pathways for the ram to use, 2 in dual channel and one in single channel. The clocks stay the same still 1.6Ghz/800Mhz.

Do you get it now?

Ed: But here is the kicker on the triple/dual channel. It can only transfer ram from a stick on that channel otherwise it has to wait, so if all the required data is on one chip you are basically running at single channel.

5. David Lake

David Lake Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan V watercooled
    No Triple Channel 2000MHz DDR3 should be called 1GHz x3, x3 because the bus width is 64x3=192.

6. Marley

Marley Don José Cuervo

GPU:
    eVGA Geforce 275 GTS
    David, sorry to be so blunt but I tried...

You are wrong it does not work that way.... Just take it if you do not understand do a bit more research on how RAM works. Bus width has nothing to do with frequency only the speed of the Bus.... They are talking about the speed of the chips not the speed of the bus, as the ram manufacturers do not know what the bus speed of your machine is.

Elem: point taken...

7. David Lake

David Lake Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan V watercooled
    No the actual physical CLOCK (1.6GHz example) IS 800 the manufactures say its double the FREQUENCY but its not the physical FREAQUENCY thats doubled its because the modules can transfer 32bits of data on the RISE of the clock and the FALL giving double the bandwidth hence "Double Data Rate".

8. David Lake

David Lake Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan V watercooled
    But they know the bus width of the modules 3x64 = a triple channel kit i'm not saying it multiplies the PHYSICAL frequency thats what the manufacturers say on the packaging.

9. Marley

Marley Don José Cuervo

GPU:
    eVGA Geforce 275 GTS
    Well technically they are correct the memory does run at say 1.6Ghz.
    fre·quen·cy (frkwn-s)
    n. pl. fre·quen·cies
    1. The property or condition of occurring at frequent intervals.

So the ram is running at a faster frequency just not the same frequency as the CPU/FSB clock cycle. In fact it runs 2x that. But throwing triple channel does not change the frequency of the ram only the bus.

10. Marley

Marley Don José Cuervo

GPU:
    eVGA Geforce 275 GTS
    What they do not know is if you are going to put the ram in the right space and/or if the motherboard you put it in has the ability, and/or what the motherboard/cpu will do with that option.

Besides, they are selling individual ram chips in a 3 pack that does not increase the speed of the chips on each stick how could it, you would need something to do that.

11. David Lake

David Lake Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan V watercooled
    Ok got cha tha data transfer frequency is 1.6GHz but the physical refresh is 800MHz.

I understood that DDR is the transfer of data on the rise and fall of the clock but I thaught they were specifying the physical frequency x2 because Dual Channel is used in most cases I didnt think of it being the frequency of data transfer.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  12. Tequila

Tequila Guest

GPU:
    2xRTX3090 (nvLink)
    This thread is rather funny.

DDR2

◙ (400clock) 800mhz effective

Does not equal 1,600 MHz in total.

DDR3

Does not equal 2,400 MHz in total.

What you are trying to say is that RAM suppliers should label their ram at their actual clock rate? Thus, a kit saying it is 800MHz should be labeled as 400MHz.

That in itself is not logical. You do not take, for example, the performance of a car on sole value.

E.G A car is not sold at it's acceleration value, because if it can accelerate ridiculously quickly to a grand total of 10MPH it is fairly useless if the end desire is 100MPH (similarly to the effective clock rate of RAM).

Thus, RAM suppliers advertise and promote it's effective speed when coupled with compatible products that it lists itself on its website. It is not false advertising, the RAM really will "effectively" operate at that speed.

13. David Lake

David Lake Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan V watercooled
    My last post.

14. David Lake

David Lake Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan V watercooled
    So to conclude this thread, I DID know everything except I thaught the DDR frequency spec was the physical clock rate of the modules x2 BUT its actually the frequency of data transfer witch is twice the clock rate due to data transfer on the rise AND fall of the clocks, DDR.

15. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    David.

You seem to have Double DATA RATE (DDR) confused with memory channels (dual/triple channel).

16. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    well I think maybe he saying you get more throughput because of the wider bandwith (192 bits in triple channel) but it is called DOUBLE data rate not TRIPLE data rate, so no it doesn't triple the ram speed. Even if you are getting more throughput, u wouldn't label kits as 400x3 or whatever because if I am not mistaken triple channel is a feature of i7 memory controller NOT DDR3

17. David Lake

David Lake Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan V watercooled
    Oh hi hilbert! No I know the diference as I have explained many times.

18. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    mine too, 154 actually but i fail to see wtf ur on about!

19. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    lol double the fun

20. David Lake

David Lake Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan V watercooled
    My point is no longer applicable.

What’s an IQ for if I can’t use it as a reference for my intelligence without being blamed for bragging?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.